Author Topic: Survival Laundry Equipment  (Read 8989 times)

411man

Survival Laundry Equipment
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »
Anyone aware of these?

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/washing.htm

These alternatives were offered by Jerry d. on another forum.

A couple of other options:

http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product/...&keyword=63411

http://www.wisementrading.com/washing.htm

These are also available from Major Surplus.

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com...egory_Code=142

ken

Re: Survival Laundry Equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »
Hmmm, I sure hope it does not come to that, ha.

I think I got tired of using what I will term "primitive laundry methods" as a little kid, but could do it again if required.  I helped my grandmother do laundry a few times, using big black boiling pots of water, and a broom handle to agitate the clothes in the pot.  This was after you split wood to boil the water with soap.  After a single rinse, came the crank wringer to get the water out.  In those days they had "laundry day", as it took all day, its not fun in the least.  I will also say they did not do laundry very often.  I think in a post SHTF world we will get used to dingy clothes pretty quick, ha.  Hmmm, wonder where you could find bluing these days, just kidding.  Bluing was something you needed to make your white shirts look a bit cleaner.

personally I sent a lot of prep time, and money to be able to say that I plan to keep on running my Maytag Neptune washing machine off solar power for years to come.  Hmm, or else I too will get used to dirty clothes, ha. 

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:57:48 PM »
Anyone aware of these?

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/washing.htm

These alternatives were offered by Jerry d. on another forum.

A couple of other options:

http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product/...&keyword=63411

http://www.wisementrading.com/washing.htm

These are also available from Major Surplus.

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com...egory_Code=142

While we wash by hand when we choose to do so, so I have no knowledge of the above washer - we did purchase a dryer from the same folks.
http://www.laundry-alternative.com/products/Spin_Dryer.html
It is fantastic. Throw something delicate in, or when you can't use the normal dryer - and 3 minutes later it comes out 90% dry. Hang it over the shower curtain rod overnight - its good to go in the morning. The lady loves it for her delicates. I like it when I don't feel like doing a full load - plus its incredibly efficient and eco-friendly - a win all around.

Texas mom

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »
The tumbling washer thing works really well, and kids can operate it.

However, don't plan on washing your king size blankets in it.  :)   It's pretty small.

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 07:36:23 PM »
The secret to doing laundry by hand in a tub... a toilet plunger! It agitates and forces the water through your clothes just like your washing machine. I've used this method and it works. I no longer use washboards or sticks. There is really no substitute for the hand ringer to really squeeze the water out to decrease drying time.

Regards,
Shadowalker

ken

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:28:06 PM »
You are exactly right about using the plunger, they works fine.

I added a few clothes pins to my kit a while back, something I had not thought about in the past.  Might just be handy.

Texas mom

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 09:23:16 AM »
One good thing about the tumbling washer thing is that it uses less water - like a front loading washer.  When water is in somewhat short supply, that's when this little gadget will really come in handy.  (Obviously, if water is in really short supply, we'll just have to walk around stinkin'.  :)  )

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 01:19:41 PM »
You are exactly right about using the plunger, they works fine.

I added a few clothes pins to my kit a while back, something I had not thought about in the past.  Might just be handy.

Clothes pins are also good for keeping plastic bags closed and cheaper than the fancy bag clips sold for the purpose.
Regards,
Shadowalker

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 04:59:58 PM »
there was a time, when i lived in south america, when i had to wash my clothes by hand.  we had a waste hight cement wash basin.  we bought a bar laundry detergent and scrubbed away.  no fun, but it worked.

Goober Pyle

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »
Creekmore did a good post on this topic a couple of months ago:

http://thesurvivalistblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/laundry-day-at-homestead-kitty.html

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 04:58:43 PM »
The secret to doing laundry by hand in a tub... a toilet plunger!
Shadowalker

+1

We use a 5 gallon bucket with a hole drilled in the top, and a NEW toilet plunger for camp laundry.

harleythatcher

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »
Here is something a little different.  I have begun collecting the nec parts but have yet to start assembly.  Another future project. Ha

Terry in sunny Florida

http://cyclean.biz/mainmenu.html

sage0925

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »
Here is something a little different.  I have begun collecting the nec parts but have yet to start assembly.  Another future project. Ha

Terry in sunny Florida

Now that is just cool!

Sage

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 09:46:51 PM »
Now I want to build one of those myself! Maybe I can get the parts from the NYC Freegan Bike Workshop for it. Hmm. Where did you get the list of parts, the cyclean forums or did you contact the inventor directly?

Copyright 1972

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 01:39:19 AM »
I checked my survival laundry machine after I first read this, she told me that I will be using a washtub, and a wash board to do our laundry!!! ;D

The eco-bike-washy-thing is cute, but how far do you have to peddle to do a load of jeans????

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »
The eco-bike-washy-thing is cute, but how far do you have to peddle to do a load of jeans????
My guess is a couple of miles. Agitation after a presoak would likely be minimal to achieve the desired effect. The fact that you can build a drain into the contraption and immediately begin spin drying is just too awesome for words.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »
My guess is a couple of miles. Agitation after a presoak would likely be minimal to achieve the desired effect. The fact that you can build a drain into the contraption and immediately begin spin drying is just too awesome for words.
And after riding to wash the clothes, then riding to spin dry the clothes, you won't have any breath left for words... At least for the first few weeks of doing laundry.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
It would be awesome if it the washing mechanism could be chained in tandem with a power generator.

harleythatcher

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 10:37:21 AM »
The bike powered washing machine.  Sorry don't know how to quote in my replies.

If you go to the forum listed in the hyperlink I posted you can get a better understanding of what items you need.  Unfortunately he kind of dropped off the face of the world but did come back last month and say he was still working on complete plans that he will post.  I read another article where a gentleman made a close copy of this bike washer and put a small generator in line with the rear wheel and it powered a small tv he would watch while doing laundry.  you will def get a workout doing laundry this way but no harder than doing it all by hand. Plus if the gearing is right you can really spin the heck out of the clothes requiring less drying time.  I always figured in a post SHTF scenario or living off grid laundry would be one of the most time/energy consuming jobs you would be faced with.  This seems to solve a lot of that problem.  I am looking forward to his publishing the complete plans.

Terry in sunny Florida

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 11:17:17 AM »
If you do this, use a recumbent bike. It's far more comfortable, and you can leverage your legs against the back of the seat instead of just balancing on the pedals.

IRoberge

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »
I had the Wonder Washer about 10 years ago.  It worked well for the kids clothes when they were little, but towels, and grown up's clothes were tough.  Turning the drum for 10 minutes was HARD work for small loads.  I switched to wash tubs and a plunger with a good wringer.  Much easier to do the family laundry. 

sage0925

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
Ok, this might be a stupid question, but it's coming from a person who has never had to hand wash a load of jeans and/or towels...what is the point of a washboard? Seems to me you'd scrub holes in your clothes. A plunger and a tub seems to me to be easier on the fabric. If the SHTF, I'm not going to be worried about stains...I need to be presentable for what? The President might stop by? If he was looking for food, I wouldn't be very nice. Not sure how far he's make it down the driveway...lol.

Sage

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 10:26:35 PM »
Ok, this might be a stupid question, but it's coming from a person who has never had to hand wash a load of jeans and/or towels...what is the point of a washboard? Seems to me you'd scrub holes in your clothes. A plunger and a tub seems to me to be easier on the fabric. If the SHTF, I'm not going to be worried about stains...I need to be presentable for what? The President might stop by? If he was looking for food, I wouldn't be very nice. Not sure how far he's make it down the driveway...lol.

Sage

It's the rub the dirt out -- it's smooth and won't damage fabric, whereas bristles on a brush can. A plunger could work, but it would certainly be more tiring and perhaps not as effective on tough dirt -- I've never tried it.

Winchester32

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 11:57:22 PM »

Sage

I used this method a few times as a kid.  It works well for getting tough dirt out, or just regular washing.  It actually does no harm to the clothes.  I have a very old glass washboard and a good sized washtub that I'll be using when SHTF.

Angie

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 06:39:17 PM »
I recently saw a YouTube video on doing laundry without power.  The easiest and cheapest way is to put the clothes in a 5 gallon pail, the same kind you store food in, put on the lid and shake it, turning it over and over.  Then you can use a mop ringer (the kind you find in institutions like hospitals) and ring out the clothes.  Seemed to work well.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 05:21:02 PM »
OK, I've got another confession...  I was once an appliance repairman!  Not long, but a mechanical thingy is a mechanical thingy once you get past the box it comes in.  Let's see...  Take one working washing machine, add one trusty ole B&S 3.5 hp lawnmower motor and a couple of shift levers to the washing machine's transmission, and as long as you don't mind filling the tub manually, this thing would wash clothes going down the road in the back of your truck.

Tim.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 05:51:25 PM »
OK, I've got another confession...  I was once an appliance repairman!  Not long, but a mechanical thingy is a mechanical thingy once you get past the box it comes in.  Let's see...  Take one working washing machine, add one trusty ole B&S 3.5 hp lawnmower motor and a couple of shift levers to the washing machine's transmission, and as long as you don't mind filling the tub manually, this thing would wash clothes going down the road in the back of your truck.

Tim.

I wonder how difficult it would be to rig a washing machine up to the drive shaft of a truck... "Honestly officer, I was speeding! It was the rinse cycle!" :D

sage0925

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 02:14:06 PM »
Marky, you have lost your mind.  ;D

Sage

Offline YoYoDog

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 02:29:04 PM »
I recently saw a YouTube video on doing laundry without power.  The easiest and cheapest way is to put the clothes in a 5 gallon pail, the same kind you store food in, put on the lid and shake it, turning it over and over.  Then you can use a mop ringer (the kind you find in institutions like hospitals) and ring out the clothes.  Seemed to work well.

That's what I would use in a survival situation only I'd put a gamma lid on it, fill it with a little soap and give it to the kids to roll around in the yard a while.  Note that it takes very little soap or all you will do is make one giant suds bomb.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:40:35 PM by YoYoDog »