Author Topic: Am I forgetting something???  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Mr J

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Am I forgetting something???
« on: December 07, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
I would like so advice what to do next, I just started preparing about two years ago and feel like I'm forgetting something. My ideal target is about a month to start and gradually increase my stores and to have training that is well rounded.

A little background I'm in the north-east in a semi rural area with a huge 26 square miles state forest in the backyard with 16 lakes in the area and access to ocean. I live in 1000 sq foot home (converted summer cottage) on a 1/4 acer lot and really good neighbours. I've got a small family with two kids under 10.

Here is a list of priority's that I've completed

Water:
I've got 100 gallons on hand expandable to 200 gallons with 1 hours notice. Water Filters, bleach and still for salt water, containers to haul water including rickshaw, bicycle adapted to haul 12 gallons. I'm within 1000 feet of both fresh and salt water sources. 

Shelter:
I own my home, have various layers of security. Have several bug out locations including a travel trailer that fully stocked ready to go in 45 min, shorter time if not by myself, bug out is the last resort.

Food: 
Due to storage space I've got 1 month of food stored for 4 adults at 4000 cal per day each, all off the shelf stuff we normally use and rotate regularly (no freeze dried stuff, I've eaten to many MRE's in the past....it's not enough), deep freezer stocked with game deer, turkey, fish and pigeon.

Heat:
Propane fired furnace with 100 gallon propane tank (last about 2 months in dead of winter). Rocket stove, working on a wood stove (hard to find something small and cheap), camper in back yard as a backup.

Electric:
3 Generators with 60 gallons of gas on hand at all times. Several marine batteries and two cars. Working getting on solar panel (50 watt to start).

Communications:
I am a ham radio operator (extra class) and currently working with my town EOC to teach others to get there license. Trying to talk my wife and family members to get them on the air. Have many radios HF/VHF/UHF, I run the local field day with all my equipment. Have made a booklet of contact info in all the “get home bags” in car/truck

Security
Can't really get into it, but its covered. Like I said really good neighbours.

Training:
As a day job I'm an electronic engineer but also can do:

Private Pilot - single engine
CDL (expired)
Emergency Medical Technician
BSA Eagle Scout
Auto mechanics / small engine
Electrical
Carpentry
Welding
Precision Machining
CAP (USAF Aux) Advanced Ranger
Search and Rescue (GOD, GTL)
Aerial Radiological Monitor (RADMON)
Avid hunter of small game, deer if I'm lucky.
CCW
Few years of JKD training

Odd stuff:
I do live near a nuclear power plant about 10 miles away, have KI tabs on hand. Also have (2) CDV-777-1 (I do rebuild them) and SparkFun GC running 24/7 with alarm set-point for about 400 millirems.

I do go out camping with my boys and currently teaching them everything I know about wilderness survival, we camp both in the camper and low impact in the white mountains.

I've written a 50 page Emergency Action Plan for my wife an family, detailed info on how to run things when I'm not there.

Library full of books, service manual, medical / dental, antenna building, too many to list. I keep a paper backup of all books I save on my PC.

I also do shake down tests, this month instead of Black Friday it was “Black Out Friday” cut the power for a day to see any problem, found one, the water heater. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated, this is no means a compete list but some main points.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Am I forgetting something???
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »
Water:
I've got 100 gallons on hand expandable to 200 gallons with 1 hours notice. Water Filters, bleach and still for salt water, containers to haul water including rickshaw, bicycle adapted to haul 12 gallons. I'm within 1000 feet of both fresh and salt water sources. 

Water purifier type things? At least 2-3 kinds? For 4 people (especially little kids) I would not be comfortable with less than 480 gallons for a months time. You have pets too?

Shelter:
I own my home, have various layers of security. Have several bug out locations including a travel trailer that fully stocked ready to go in 45 min, shorter time if not by myself, bug out is the last resort.

Can you get it under 45 minutes? Like 5 minutes? I know where I lived last, it was possible I only had 5 minutes and I had to guess on the warning/s. Recently when there was that 'possible bomb' on the train next to the chemical plant and the nuclear station and they evacuted, I suspect many people barely had time to put on their shoes. I know mom and dad kept the camper stocked at all times, even with clothes and all mom had to do was drop food in and we were off camping as soon as dad was off work on Friday.

Food: 
Due to storage space I've got 1 month of food stored for 4 adults at 4000 cal per day each, all off the shelf stuff we normally use and rotate regularly (no freeze dried stuff, I've eaten to many MRE's in the past....it's not enough), deep freezer stocked with game deer, turkey, fish and pigeon.

I have never owned freeze dried stuff I have bought either. And the stuff I have is about a bread bags worth. But get a dehydrator. Two days ago I just turned 8 pounds of carrots into a half quart jar. So 16 pounds of carrots in a quart jar. Saves freezer space and you don't have to root cellar them. I did not utilize my food dehydrator as much as I should have in the past, but the last couple of years, I have wondered how I got by without having more dehydrated foods in my house. Tonight's dinner in face had at least 5 different things in it that I dehydrated in the last few months. Need space saving foods? DEHYDRATE!

Heat:
Propane fired furnace with 100 gallon propane tank (last about 2 months in dead of winter). Rocket stove, working on a wood stove (hard to find something small and cheap), camper in back yard as a backup.

Really? I can find good small 'early box stove' type (sometimes even with 2 burners) for under $100. Ask on FreeCycle? Craigslist?

Electric:
3 Generators with 60 gallons of gas on hand at all times. Several marine batteries and two cars. Working getting on solar panel (50 watt to start).

Look at Canadian Tire.. or something equivilant. I got my Powerbox and solar panel (I travelled with them too when I was nomadic in my truck for 5 months and my laptop battery was kapooey). I LOVE my Eliminator Powerbox 600. I orginally bought it to play with solar. But I always ran my laptop, a small radio and a small light off it daily. I have had it 6 years now?

Communications:
I am a ham radio operator (extra class) and currently working with my town EOC to teach others to get there license. Trying to talk my wife and family members to get them on the air. Have many radios HF/VHF/UHF, I run the local field day with all my equipment. Have made a booklet of contact info in all the “get home bags” in car/truck

What about family radios? Texting codes? Local community online newgroup. My area has one and it has been awesome with this weather we are having about road issues (like the logging truck which slid backwards down the lower hill yesterday blocking any possible passage (glad he did not go over the side of the mountain) and how the road is still screwed up today. Checking on the elderly in our area. People asking for PVC plumbing supplies so they did not have to go into town on a trecherous road.

Cedar

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
Don't worry too much, all that is required to survive is that you are protected, have oxygen, water, and food.

Make plans, be ready, but enjoy life.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »
Make plans, be ready, but enjoy life.

Yeppers..

Cedar

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor