Author Topic: NYT: Cities turn to fees to fill budget gaps; The NYT  (Read 1805 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
NYT: Cities turn to fees to fill budget gaps; The NYT
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:32:49 PM »
WOW - This is governance.

....and this is what the NYT reports as governments getting 'creative.'

I can't wait to see where the 'artisans' of the political realm go next.

We once took offense at being taxed for tea?

swanson

NYT: Cities turn to fees to fill budget gaps

'Streetlight user fees' among the new charges as governments get creative

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30162245/

By David Segal
The New York Times

updated 8:52 a.m. ET, Sat., April 11, 2009

After her sport utility vehicle sideswiped a van in early February, Shirley Kimel was amazed at how quickly a handful of police officers and firefighters in Winter Haven, Fla., showed up. But a real shock came a week later, when a letter arrived from the city billing her $316 for the cost of responding to the accident.

(please click link for full article - post was edited by Alpha Mike, in accordance with DMCA rules and regulations)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:34:15 PM by Alpha Mike »

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: NYT: Cities turn to fees to fill budget gaps; The NYT
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:14:57 PM »
Ms. Kimel, the S.U.V. driver in Florida, will not make the numbers look any better. She has no idea whether the city will come after her for that $316 bill, but she doesn’t care.

“I’m not paying,” she said, “because it isn’t fair.”

She's right. It isn't fair to make people pay for their own mistakes. It's only fair if we all foot the bill for her stupidity. This woman should be shot in the teeth.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:42:20 PM »
Does this mean that when someone comes in to rob my house that they will charge the criminal for the expenses for his detainment and arrest? Not to mention court costs? That would be brilliant. :)

I think one of the big problems of this nation is making no one responsible for their actions. It begins in school where they teach our kids that they can make mistakes and there aren't consequences all the way to the courts when they put people in jail then let them out months later for armed robbery and murder.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:44:24 PM by ColdHaven »

homeshow

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:53:50 PM »
pay for what you do?  be responsable for your own stupidity??  the next thing you know there will be work farms for inmates to raise their own food.  which was a great system by the way.  i say less taxes and less everything.  there were not usage fees 50 years ago and taxes were less too.  these fees are just a way for bloated burocracy  to support itself.  i say less of both. smaller government all the way.

coffecat

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:11:47 PM »
Thankx for posting this article.  I have been trying to get my relatives to really look out because some are being ripped off by beaurocracies that are charging for anything any way they can.  My BIL lost his father recently and lost his mother about 8 years ago.  Well, the little city he lives in charged him an extra 40 dollars to "probate" his mother's will.  ??  He believed it and paid. Stuff like this is going on all over the place.  C.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
My taxes haven't gone down.  Thus, I am now being asked to pay more for the same services that were somehow paid for last year?

The big ugly secret in my state is that the "shortfall" in government is actually just growth they cannot realize but had planned.  If we go back to last year's budget or the year before, there is enough money.  They just can't pay for the billions of extra spending they wanted.

Say I make $50k a year.  Next year, I decide to spend $75k assuming my salary will rise.  If my salary doesn't go up 50%, I would have a huge revenue shortfall similar to what many places are experiencing.

homeshow

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 08:30:24 PM »
My taxes haven't gone down.  Thus, I am now being asked to pay more for the same services that were somehow paid for last year?

The big ugly secret in my state is that the "shortfall" in government is actually just growth they cannot realize but had planned.  If we go back to last year's budget or the year before, there is enough money.  They just can't pay for the billions of extra spending they wanted.

Say I make $50k a year.  Next year, I decide to spend $75k assuming my salary will rise.  If my salary doesn't go up 50%, I would have a huge revenue shortfall similar to what many places are experiencing.

exactly +1 on telling it like it is