Author Topic: alcohol fuel bottle recommendation?  (Read 7350 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
alcohol fuel bottle recommendation?
« on: January 26, 2014, 06:54:55 PM »
So I finally broke down and got one of those little Vargo titanium triad alcohol burners.  (Yes, I know you can make them from two beer cans and an afternoon, but it was on sale and I have thing for titanium.  At least in small & affordable quantities when it's on sale.)  Works great, burns like a fury on Everclear.

Now here's the problem.  What to keep the fuel in?  MSR and Primus both make beautiful aluminum fuel bottles for ~$16, now complete with leaky but child-proof caps.  (Tort Reform Now!  But that's a subject for another thread.)  Campmor to the rescue, they'll sell you the original non-leaking MSR cap for another $5.  Hrmm.

Anybody got a reasonably priced alternative?  It's going into my BOB, so it really needs to be leak-proof.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
Re: alcohol fuel bottle recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:01:12 PM »
kru 82 vodka can be had in SS bottles in various sizes, including some small bottles.  I use one in my BOB.  Hasn't leaked yet. 

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:02:40 PM »
Oh yeah, and it is like $5 for a 6 oz bottle.  Not great vodka, but I used it in tinctures so it didn't matter. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »
Oh yeah, and it is like $5 for a 6 oz bottle.  Not great vodka, but I used it in tinctures so it didn't matter.
That's perfect!  It even looks like a fuel bottle.  Probably the point, it's great marketing.

Will keep my eyes open for it.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:42:31 PM by Alan Georges »

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:35:56 PM »
Stabil fuel bottles. they are used by hikers and have a built in measuring feature.
“There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.”
? Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »
Stabil fuel bottles. they are used by hikers and have a built in measuring feature.
And a nice pouring spout too.  Thanks!

Offline Falling_blue

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 08:48:48 PM »
I have used venom brand energy drink aluminum bottles for three years with no leaks.  Made a stove out of one too.
TANSTAAFL

Offline theangler

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 10:31:55 PM »
Vargo plastic fuel bottles are very rugged.  You can find them on eBay.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
Try an empty hand sanitizer bottle. They're made to hold alcohol, come with a pump to get some out without spilling, and come in many sizes. Just screw the pump down after use like when it was new so it dont leak.

endurance

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 07:00:42 PM »
I just used an empty 8 oz. Kirkland (costco) disposable water bottle.  In fact, I still have everclear in one from a cache I just opened from last summer and it's still in tact. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »
In the end, I stumbled across some extra-tall stainless hip flasks that hold about 12oz each.  Picked up two of them, one for the stove fuel, one for the me fuel.

Then the spring bike tour I was gearing up for got canceled.  Ah well, fall camping is just around the corner.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 06:03:51 AM »
I use a dasani water bottle for my trangia.  8 years and still on the same one.
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 07:54:56 AM »
One I have had good use with is this

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Primus-MSR-Thread-Alcohol-Aluminum-Fuel-Bottle/productinfo/C-P-L251/

Though the Desani fuel bottle may be a bit less costly.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »
In the end, I stumbled across some extra-tall stainless hip flasks that hold about 12oz each.

I'm surprised we don't see more of this.
The shape of the flask fits our packs and bodies so much better than cylindrical or square shapes.
Hang a 24 oz bottle on your hip and you know it's there. A 12 oz flask in each hip pocket carries so much better.
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"

Offline Wild Colonial Boy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 09:00:57 AM »
Trangia fuel bottles. Robust and purpose built!

endurance

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »
Clearly there's not any die-hard weight weenies here.  Aluminum and steel bottles for alcohol?  Seems like a wee-bit of overkill, but hey, it's your back that's carrying it, not mine.

Offline 11steve11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
Way to go on the stove, I have been very tempted. I currently use a 24oz heineken barrel can, aluminum flashing stand, 12oz Mt. Dew pop can stove and 12oz naked juice fuel bottle.

I teach all of our scouts to make/pack alcohol stoves and fuel bottles.  For fuel bottles they have used 5hr energy bottles (2oz each), cheap water bottles (16.9oz each), soda bottles (12-24 oz), outdated eye wash bottles (2 to 16oz), naked juice bottles (12oz), IV bags, and whatever else.

The 5hr energy bottles are perfect to boil 2 cups of water.
The eyewash bottles are clean and easy to squirt just what they need. 
The IV bag I think is my favorite; tough, light, variable, graduated and it can be used for a continuous feed with throttle valve (some have a restriction/flow valve with them).

Oh, and the only one to fail, was the aluminum MSR fuel bottle.  Aluminum doesn't like to bend like steel, it likes to crack, so one day when the kid dropped the bottle from waist height, it developed a slight weep.  We transfered the fuel to a cheap plastic bottle and he still uses them.  I also seem to remember the aluminum bottle was difficult to aim the alcohol into the stove, another reason why I like plastic.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 02:48:10 PM »
Way to go on the stove, I have been very tempted. I currently use a 24oz heineken barrel can, aluminum flashing stand, 12oz Mt. Dew pop can stove and 12oz naked juice fuel bottle.

I teach all of our scouts to make/pack alcohol stoves and fuel bottles.  For fuel bottles they have used 5hr energy bottles (2oz each), cheap water bottles (16.9oz each), soda bottles (12-24 oz), outdated eye wash bottles (2 to 16oz), naked juice bottles (12oz), IV bags, and whatever else.

The 5hr energy bottles are perfect to boil 2 cups of water.
The eyewash bottles are clean and easy to squirt just what they need. 
The IV bag I think is my favorite; tough, light, variable, graduated and it can be used for a continuous feed with throttle valve (some have a restriction/flow valve with them).

Oh, and the only one to fail, was the aluminum MSR fuel bottle.  Aluminum doesn't like to bend like steel, it likes to crack, so one day when the kid dropped the bottle from waist height, it developed a slight weep.  We transfered the fuel to a cheap plastic bottle and he still uses them.  I also seem to remember the aluminum bottle was difficult to aim the alcohol into the stove, another reason why I like plastic.

Could you please start a thread where you show us these stoves ?
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 12:02:35 PM »
     If you use a plastic or metal bottle that was designed as a "drink" bottle, please be sure to plainly label it as containing alcohol fuel, Even if it is Everclear, which I highly recommend, you still don't want the surprise of chugging out of the wrong canteen on a hot day. At least Everclear won't kill you, but drinking it straight might make you wish it had.
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 06:20:53 PM »
Ive been running an MSR bottle for quite a while, Ive *never* had a leak.  Anywho, its what I run...

TOG