Poll

What are/will do about your cable/sat bill?

Nothing I don't mind paying that bill
1 (5%)
Buy a Ruko with Hulu Plus and Netflix
13 (65%)
Buy a Apple TV 2 with Hulu Plus and Netflix
2 (10%)
Buy a Apple TV 2 Jailbroken with Hulu Plus and Netflix
2 (10%)
Nothing because I don't know how
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 14, 2014, 10:11:07 AM

Author Topic: Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord  (Read 46391 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
I don't think I'd have a whole ton to say, but I could make a quick post with some helpful tidbits.  What forum would that even go into?
Probably the DIY board.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Prodigy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Better to die on your feet than live on your knees

Offline stayfrosty

• Prepper
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2015, 01:23:13 AM »
I've almost convinced my wife to give up cable. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime and just got an Amazon Fire Stick to upgrade our 10 year old TV to a smart tv. We spent some time today playing around with all the options, Youtube, Prime music, looking at old photos and playing apps. I will miss having the Nationals games on in the background but I've read about ways to bypass the mlb.tv system that doesn't allow you to view local teams.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2015, 09:52:39 PM »
More and more of my entertainment is coming from youtube. Every night I get home from work and watch the new episodes of the channels I subscribe to. 30min to sometimes a few hours. I find I don't watch tv shows anymore unless they are finished and I can watch it all in one go. Only one I can't do that with is Game of Thrones, I tried can't do it. Not a sports guy so that's good for me.

Online theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2015, 09:17:53 PM »
We recently moved our PC near our TV, and a 15 foot minidisplay to HDMI cable linked them up. It's been great since I can now stream anything I want right on the TV. I'll probably upgrade the optical drive to Blu Ray since we do have a few of those that we enjoy that we can't stream, but until then 98% of our viewing is taken care of. Now if only I could find a solid wireless keyboard/mouse combo that actually worked 10 ft away from their receiver...

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »
Originally we were using the xbox to stream netflix about a year ago switched to roku. 9.99 a monthe for xbox live (on top of netflix charge). In 6 months we broke even on the roku and have been saving money ever since.   We just recently also purchased our own modem to use with time warner. Was 60 bucks docsis 3.0 compatible. Given our semi rural area we won't come close to ever using the full capability of the modem so we are good till it dies. In about 10 months the savings on modem rental fees will pay for itself. Its true if we use our invisbox to stream "free" our movies and tv shows over a latop via usb to our tv we would save on cable etc.  However I don't mind paying a bit for convenience. I have cut the fat down to the most acceptable level I am willing to go. Pay 35 for internet per month for 15 mb down. More than enough to do what we want. It hurts a bit for uploading for my new site but hey. I make a big upload que before I go to bed. In the morning its uploaded then I edit and get posts ready the next day.  Roku is great we have amazon prime for shipping savings and our roi for that is enough to warrant it until they really raise the price. For big bags of gluten free flour we buy we see savings in 3-6 months so until the over double the cost of prime we will stay and that on top of netlfix we have our fill of shows. Plus roku has youtube app (get a roku 3 if you are looking for one the youtube app for that is great compared to earlier ones) plus many other apps like crackle that are free (with commercials).  My brother in law got unlimited data from verizon. Years and years ago for like 30 bucks a month and as long as he doesn't change his contract he has kept it. I'm jealous. He has no cable and just hotspots his phone for internet!  He will get throttled during high use at times but shoot he saves hundreds a year! 
"Silence in the Face of Evil is itself Evil:
God will not hold us guiltless.
Not to speak is to speak.
Not to Act is to Act."

-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline GrizzlyAdams

• Survivor
  • Hiker
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2016, 06:22:43 PM »
We got rid of cable and stream Netflix and Hulu over XBOX.

Probably going to get rid of the XBOX and switch to Roku or Amazon fire soon to get rid of the xbox fee.

Also, there is so much good content on YouTube, we don't miss cable at all.  It's just a matter of looking for the good content creators in the areas that you are interested in learning about.

GA
"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally."~Don Miguel Ruiz

You are the master.  The mind is your servant.  This is the correct relationship.~Mooji

"We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains."~ Li Po

Online theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2016, 11:15:13 AM »
We got rid of cable and stream Netflix and Hulu over XBOX.

Probably going to get rid of the XBOX and switch to Roku or Amazon fire soon to get rid of the xbox fee.

If you're referring to Xbox Gold you don't need that to stream online services, only to play online. We use an Xbox that we've had around and stream Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc, without issue.

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Prepper
  • I don't know what to do, I'm new.
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2016, 05:36:26 AM »
Are there any ways to watch football on these? We got rid of comcast a couple months back. Don't have anything right now. We are probably getting a firestick so we can get Netflix. But is getting some kind of dish our only choice for getting the basic channels like Fox, NBC, CBS, etc...?
"You can live a life of discipline, or a life of regret" - Andy Stumpf

Offline Beetlebum

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2016, 07:03:07 AM »
Are there any ways to watch football on these? We got rid of comcast a couple months back. Don't have anything right now. We are probably getting a firestick so we can get Netflix. But is getting some kind of dish our only choice for getting the basic channels like Fox, NBC, CBS, etc...?

You may be amazed at what an over the air antenna can get (if you're waaay out of town or in rough terrain, it may be tough). NBC, Fox, CBS, ABC, PBS, CW and sometimes others (along with their subchannels like Grit TV - basically very old reruns) are available over the air.

There are several websites that can show you the closest antennas to you. https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps is the "official" map but there are several online retailers that will sort your specific location to a type of antenna to purchase.

If you're in a relatively populated area like a suburb or better, and are only wanting to connect a single TV, an indoor antenna may work fine. The Mohu Leaf  is the number 1 rated indoor antenna.

If you previously had satellite TV, connecting an outdoor antenna to the existing satellite dish mast is very simple. And you can reuse the existing coax cable runs.

As far as football, CBS shows NFL games relevant to your region and ABC will show select NCAA games from ESPN. Beyond that, you're pretty much out of luck watching football without a major TV provider account and login. If you were able to acquire access to a TV provider login, ESPN, NCAA conferences, NFL etc. all have apps for the major streaming devices (Roku, Fire etc.) you can live stream games.

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Prepper
  • I don't know what to do, I'm new.
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2016, 01:27:14 PM »
You may be amazed at what an over the air antenna can get (if you're waaay out of town or in rough terrain, it may be tough). NBC, Fox, CBS, ABC, PBS, CW and sometimes others (along with their subchannels like Grit TV - basically very old reruns) are available over the air.

There are several websites that can show you the closest antennas to you. https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps is the "official" map but there are several online retailers that will sort your specific location to a type of antenna to purchase.

If you're in a relatively populated area like a suburb or better, and are only wanting to connect a single TV, an indoor antenna may work fine. The Mohu Leaf  is the number 1 rated indoor antenna.

If you previously had satellite TV, connecting an outdoor antenna to the existing satellite dish mast is very simple. And you can reuse the existing coax cable runs.

As far as football, CBS shows NFL games relevant to your region and ABC will show select NCAA games from ESPN. Beyond that, you're pretty much out of luck watching football without a major TV provider account and login. If you were able to acquire access to a TV provider login, ESPN, NCAA conferences, NFL etc. all have apps for the major streaming devices (Roku, Fire etc.) you can live stream games.

Thanks, I'm further out than the suburbs, but I checked the map of signals and it looks like I should get good reception on the main networks I wanted. I ordered the Mohu Leaf 50, so hopefully this will get me my football, and my wife her Hawaii 5-0.
"You can live a life of discipline, or a life of regret" - Andy Stumpf

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2016, 08:39:30 AM »
Use Kodi (Formerly XBMC)
http://kodi.tv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5Mz2Yci4c

This is simply a media player, it doesn't actually bring you content. What it does however is catalogue your content and make it easily browsable. Beyond that, it enables add-ons which supplement the content. For example, if there are non-English parts of the film and you want subtitles, It will get them for you. If you want to know who some actor is, you can pull up their profile and see other movies or TV shows they've been in. It's loaded with features.

To use it, you download your content from whatever sources you have, and it will play them from your hard drive, or over your local network. The advantage to this is that people with connections too slow to stream online media can download it and watch it later without buffering every 20 seconds.

To find content, there is BitTorrent. Some of the content is legal (like the bitTorrent-only "Pioneer One" series), much is free of copyrights, but a lot of it is not. Use common sense there. If you download a major hollywood movie two months before it hits theaters, the MPAA might take issue with that. Network broadcast TV is available for free. While it is a copyright violation, they don't really pursue it. They ask that you visit their site to view it online, and often have incentive bonus or interactive content for doing so, but they don't really lose money on individual downloads as long as they can track the total number of views (which feeds into product placement deals). They could give you problems, but they don't. Then you have free content, usually indie-productions which are distributed freely without any restriction on downloads. Its up to you what content you go after.

TV: eztv.ag
Movies: yts.ag

An over the air antenna is best for live sporting events. There are online means of getting the live feed, but they are flimsy at best and get shut down constantly.

Of course, Netflix, Hulu, Vemeo and YouTube have tons of videos if you have a connection which can support the streams.

Personally, I'm not above downloading from pirate sources. I also have no issues paying for content, it's more a matter of convenience. I won't pay for cable or satelite. Basic packages with the channels I want start at $130 a month. I can't get channels ala carte. I either get 2,000 channels, 3 of which I might watch, or I need the basic package and can't have two of them. Even then, I watch maybe two shows on each of those channels. I would gladly pay the producers of the show directly for those shows. Bundling has driven me away from conventional TV services. Beyond that, a 30 minute show is now 17 minutes long, with 13 minutes of commercials. If I'm paying $130 a month, they don't need to waste 13 minutes of my time to make an additional 10ยข in ad revenue off of me.

The cable industry is dieing. Look at the demographics http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/12/21/4-one-in-seven-americans-are-television-cord-cutters/

The only reason the numbers are that high is that TV service is mandatory in some markets for top tier internet service. I can get 100MBps through my cable company IF I get the TV/Phone/Internet/Home Security bundle. Without that package, I can only get 30MBps. Much of the remaining subscriptions are attributable to Sports fans who don't have as many good online options for major events, and renters who get cable through their rental agreement. The cable companies, rather than innovate and compete for customers have resorted to strong-arming people. Hidden fees, long term contracts, requirements to lease their equipment, bundling services and content. You absolutely should get rid of paid TV service.

There are so many other options for cheap (or free) content. You pay for what you actually watch, the content producers make more money per viewer that way, while you pay less by cutting out the middle-man. No commercials, ever! I haven't seen a TV ad since 2001 (save for the odd superbowl commercial). And you can get real HD content... your HD cable package is upscaled 720p at best (they fake 1080). 4k broadcasts are non-existent in the US TV market. Online, they're all over the place.
A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher

Offline Beetlebum

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2016, 11:06:26 AM »
I can't believe the sports channels are holding on so tightly to the cable/satellite providers. Once they finally let go those providers will finally die.

As far as a la carte, Sling TV offers closer to a la carte service at prices generally better than cable and without a contract. I haven't tried it but it looks promising.

Online theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2016, 05:49:54 PM »
I was reading/listening to something a while ago and sports channels get a pretty large premium from cable for each subscription that includes them. I don't think it's that they don't want to let go, but rather they can't because it would be financial suicide for them to do it.

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2016, 05:57:02 PM »
Sling.tv is the cheapest way to get ESPN, which I only want during NFL season. The four networks we can get over the air. We had a Comcast package for the internet in the big city apartment and so could watch ESPN over the internet at our rural home. But once it doubled in price, we killed it, got a DSL connection in town + Sling for the football, and it's cheaper than Comcast every was. So far the service has been fine.

Offline farmnurse

• Prepper
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »
Even through we use our satellite and pay the bill to watch current programs and you just can not beat cable for internet (ours is unlimited).

We have also discovered that we can use Kodi app with the exodus addon http://bestforkodi.com/install-exodus-addon-kodi/?

With this we can watch almost anything with a device that can stream. We have it on tablets, PCs, kindle fire stick and our phones
Prepare for the worst and pray for the best

Offline will slacker

• Prepper
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2016, 05:15:52 AM »
We to got tired of the high prices of u-verse. So we canceled and use Hulu and Netflix. Sucks I can't get every show (the walking dead ) but I be lived. But I have to say the Amazon Fire Stick is a saver. I was using my Xbox but after I reloaded it was in 24/7 I wanted a different way to let the family stream tv with out wear and tear on a $300.00 gaming system. Enter the $40.00 Fire stick. Turns your tv into a smart tv. Love it. And it supports third party apps.

Offline jhalstead

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2016, 05:53:40 AM »
Will,

Check out Sling TV, $20 a month will give you AMC (the walking dead) and some other channels you may be interested in as well. Have to be careful not to buy so many 3rd party packages that you eat your savings from cutting cable. But I think this one may be worth it to you.

--
Justin

Offline osubuckeye4

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Hello.
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2016, 07:40:46 AM »
Anyone checked out Playstation Vue yet?

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2016, 06:25:22 PM »
Anyone checked out Playstation Vue yet?

Playstation Vue being on the Roku got me interested. I did the one week free trial, got too busy to try it, and paid for a month.

I tried it for a week before giving up. Of the shows I looked for, only 1 was available. Although they have the main networks, it seems like they are On Demand flavors of the networks so only a subset of the network content is available.

Also, the availability of local stations varies by locale but in my case none of these were available

For the finale, I couldn't find a way to cancel my subscription. That wasted 15 minutes of my life. Fortunately I signed up with a single-use credit card so I just turned that number off.

Summary: I'm a big fan of Roku, Netflix streaming, and Amazon (Prime) video. Playstation Vue is a joke and I want my $30 back.

Offline osubuckeye4

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Hello.
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »
Playstation Vue being on the Roku got me interested. I did the one week free trial, got too busy to try it, and paid for a month.

I tried it for a week before giving up. Of the shows I looked for, only 1 was available. Although they have the main networks, it seems like they are On Demand flavors of the networks so only a subset of the network content is available.

Also, the availability of local stations varies by locale but in my case none of these were available

For the finale, I couldn't find a way to cancel my subscription. That wasted 15 minutes of my life. Fortunately I signed up with a single-use credit card so I just turned that number off.

Summary: I'm a big fan of Roku, Netflix streaming, and Amazon (Prime) video. Playstation Vue is a joke and I want my $30 back.

Thanks for the report.

I figured that it would be buggy/subpar at the outset.

I'm going to wait 6-10 months and double back on the reviews at that time. See if they improved processes at all.

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
FYI.  Vudu has now started adding ad supported movies to augment its rental/purchase offerings: http://www.vudu.com/movies/#new/movies_on_us.  Click "view all" to see listings for each genre.

Richard (richard)

« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2016, 06:59:08 AM »
I make playlists on my YouTube account and watch them via the YouTube channel on Roku. I have found numerous full-length movies and documentaries on YouTube.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »
 :knitting:

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2016, 09:59:54 PM »
Here are legal video sources.

TV Shows
These have lapsed in copyright, were not renewed, or published without restriction. Most are very old (1960's and earlier), but it's a great resource if you like that sort of thing. No special effects, more story telling.
https://archive.org/details/classic_tv

News:
A lot of people don't realize this, but TV news is generally free. Many news agencies also exist in the public domain (virtually all of it, except satirical news or entertainment formats).  This is due to several factors: It's part of the licensing of wireless spectrum for network television. News broadcast that way is exempt from copyright (thought it's a bit more complex than that, that's the general rule). Also, a non-profit organization like a library can lend or distribute materials, including video without infringing on copyright. Archive.org meets the legal criteria of a "library". Additionally, most news providers do not challenge this, as news has very little copyright value (if it's not live, nobody will pay for it), so it's a way to increase their exposure at no cost, and with no substantial loss in profits. TV news is fair play on the internet.
https://archive.org/details/tv

Moives:
These are all legal to download for free.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_in_the_public_domain_in_the_United_States
https://archive.org/details/feature_films?&sort=-downloads
http://www.publicdomaintorrents.info/nshowcat.html?category=ALL *requires a bit-torrent client like utorrent (free)

Vodo:
Newer Indie films, low budget (kickstarter) productions, or just movie producers and professional actors goofing off and putting their independent projects out there for free.
http://vodo.net/films/

TedTalks:
https://www.ted.com/talks

YouTube:
The best video site, hands down. http://Http://youtube.com
Lots of TV, Movies, and more importantly, user-produced content.

Foreign:
A lot of foreign content is free. When the core audience is over-seas, there's very little incentive to get it copyrighted here in the US, and while that's often not needed, some countries have copyright laws which are not directly compatible with our own. A lot of foreign material (especially non-English) is free in the US.

Getting around Geo-fencing:
If you're trying to access content restricted to a single country, get the GPS coordinates of a place in that country (google maps can help with that). Now in Chrome, Firefox, or Vivaldi browsers, press [F12]
In thee "Console" tab, look for "Emulation" (chrome) or "Sensors" (Vivaldi). Set the GPS coordinates there and refresh the video page.

*Now that you know how to fake your GPS location on the internet, don't abuse it, lol.

A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »

https://archive.org/details/feature_films?&sort=-downloads

I'm a HUGE fan of silent movies, and this has long been the best source of them for me.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2016, 08:35:24 AM »

Offline Freespool

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Cutting the Cord
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »
I currently have ATT internet and TV along with Amazon Prime and Netflix.  Looking at cutting the TV for just DishTV Now and use my Roku devises.  I have kids so they want TV and wife wants her shows but I need to cut some bills.  How do you get TV and internet to keep the family happy without all the bills?

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Cutting the Cord
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2017, 11:09:43 AM »
We live out in the woods, so internet is only available via satellite. So we have Hughesnet. For entertainment, we use Netflix and Amazon Prime. The kids will agree and pick one show to watch daily. The wife and I will watch one show in the evening. On the weekends, we will splurge and watch a movie or two.

I think instead of focusing on what bills to cut, you need to focus on how to cut the addiction to your TV. I you can't go a week without the TV being on, your family is addicted, and it is unhealthy. Get outside more. Play games. Do family activities. Anything that gets you away from the electronics is a good thing.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Cutting the Cord
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
I currently have ATT internet and TV along with Amazon Prime and Netflix.  Looking at cutting the TV for just DishTV Now and use my Roku devises.  I have kids so they want TV and wife wants her shows but I need to cut some bills.  How do you get TV and internet to keep the family happy without all the bills?

can't really help with the wife - she is an adult and can make her own decisions.  With her, you will need to convince her.  Maybe agree to pay for access to her shows on her phone or something.
The kids - cut the cord now.  How old are they?  They will hate you for a while.  they will be bored and wandering around looking for things to do.  Cut them cold turkey.  After a detox period, they will find other things to do and eventually thank you.  Movies - as a family - become a treat and something to look forward to.

You could make it a family thing and suggest an end - "let's cut tv for a month.  that is on devices too.  Just for a month.  Let's see if we can do it."  Then make a list of things everyone can do when they are bored and need something to do.  Biggest thing is to not use the tv as a babysitter.
We did this with sugar - we cut it out for 6 months (with a few "fudges" built in - birthday cake, etc).  At the end, when we went back to sugar, even the 15-yo had a hard time eating just half of what he would have inhaled without thinking a few months before.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.