Author Topic: Best scope for a Ruger 10-22?  (Read 23711 times)

Offline trinharder

• Prepper
  • Ancient Garden Organic Farm
Best scope for a Ruger 10-22?
« on: March 02, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »
I've searched around quite a bit on various online sources and found answers from a good high dollar variable to the cheapest thing you can find. What would members of the forum recommend? Main use would be small game within 100 yards or in a SHTF situation...well, whatever it comes in handy for.
Disney's law: Wishing doesn't make it so.

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
Re: Best scope for a Ruger 10-22?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
I bought a BSA sweet 22. It was cheap and worked fine but only for a short time.   The reticle canted.  I did not do anything to it, it just tilted about 30 degrees.   I never replaced it.  BSA said they'd look at it.   But for the $40 I paid,  it wasn't worth paying to ship it back.  My hunting rifle has a Nikon with the BDC reticle. If I replace the one on my 10-22,  I will get one of those.   Hope this helps.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:10:22 PM »
I have a weaver 3x9 rimfire scope and it is awesome.  You could save some money and weight with a fixed power, but this is the best rim fire scope in my opinion.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-rifle-scopes-v10-10x50.html

Offline Melting

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
I have a Nikon 4x fixed power scope on my 10/22. At this point all of my scopes are nikon. Not because they are the best, but because they are good quality. They are durable. The Nikon BDC app is the best tool I have used for figuring holdovers, bullet drop with a wide variety of commercial loads etc. Nikon is also priced within reason. The above scope can be had new for $90-110 dollars shipped to your door depending on your patience and persistence in the shopping process.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/149715/nikon-prostaff-classic-rimfire-rifle-scope-4x-32mm-nikoplex-reticle-with-3-8-dovetail-rings-matte

I am happy with my set-up.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »
My answer is going to be totally different.

The scope you need will depend on the amount of work you have done to the rifle.

If it is a box stock 10/22 put anything you have available on it.  The scope, whatever it is, will outshoot the rifle on any given day.

If you have installed a new barrel with target chamber, reworked the trigger, squared and polished the bolt surfaces, get the best scope you can afford.  The rifle can now make proper use of it.

nelson96

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 05:45:58 PM »
My answer is going to be totally different.

The scope you need will depend on the amount of work you have done to the rifle.

If it is a box stock 10/22 put anything you have available on it.  The scope, whatever it is, will outshoot the rifle on any given day.

Come-on, you know that is not a true statement. . . .  An uber cheap scope is prone to failure, has poor clarity, hard to use in low light or direct light, can have poor eye relief, etc.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »
so is a box stock 10/22!

So the scope is just right for the rifle.

nelson96

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
so is a box stock 10/22!

You've either had bad luck, or don't own one.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:21:33 PM »
I have owned three and have one right now.

None have been what they should and the present example has been reworked until it is barely a Ruger product in the normal sense.  the only thing remaining in stock trim being the receiver.

It is not a case of "Bad Luck" it is simply a case of knowing what I want out of a rifle.

There is a whole industry built around making the 10/22 behave as a good rifle should and apparently they are making a fortune supplying parts that will do what the Ruger parts will not:  Volgurtsen, Whistle Pig, Green Mountain, Butler Creek, Kidd

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:28:24 PM by Mortblanc »

Offline trinharder

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:43:09 AM »
I want to thank all who replied to this question. I have vacillated a great deal on this choice but believe since I can always upgrade the rifle I'd rather have a good scope rather than have to update the scope later on and have decided (almost for sure but not yet ordered) on Melting's recommendation. I think it will fit the bill. Mounted the base and the rings yesterday. Just waiting on a check someone owes me to have the money to order it. I also think for my intended use a 4x fixed power is the route I want to go.

Offline trinharder

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »
+1 for you Melting. Thanks again for helping me make a decision.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:12 PM »
Before I throw this out, I will freely admit I have no experience with a scoped 10-22, though I've shot 10-22s and scoped rifles in the past, just never together.

Would a 2 1/2 - 3 power shotgun scope be practical? A fixed power scope is usually more rugged than a variable and a lower power would give a wider field of view. The ability to acquire a target quickly and send a round downrange to me, would offset the precision a higher powered scope would offer. I say a shotgun scope because (as I understand) it can be corrected for parallax at shorter ranges than can a rifle scope. You might also be able to get a wider choice of reticles - a post-and-fine cross-hair might be better suited for this application (small game and SHTF) than standard cross-hairs.

Any thoughts?

soupbone
Get into an argument in a tent. When she storms out, she can't slam the flap.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »
I've searched around quite a bit on various online sources and found answers from a good high dollar variable to the cheapest thing you can find. What would members of the forum recommend? Main use would be small game within 100 yards or in a SHTF situation...well, whatever it comes in handy for.

I have a good old Tasco 4x32 on my 10/22 that cost me about $25. I bought that six months ago I think? Anyways at 100 yards out it is very effective.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/568995?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Optics%20-%20Scopes%20-%20Under%2012X-_-PriceCompListing-_-568995&gclid=COmR2vuzmr4CFUuXOgod9mAA-Q
"Crocodiles: They eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
Archer

Quote from: Bonnieblue2A on 4/8/2014 at 02:50:14 AM
"I'm sure the founding fathers never envisioned children having access to high capacity, mechanical pencils with no. 2 lead."

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 12:11:52 PM »
so is a box stock 10/22!

Sorry but that's a bold face lie or you are a very poor marksman. When I sighted mine in I was on a bench and had the rifle on sandbags. At 50 yards I shot 5 rounds and the group was inside the diamater of a penny.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:19:55 PM by EagleSteel »
"Crocodiles: They eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
Archer

Quote from: Bonnieblue2A on 4/8/2014 at 02:50:14 AM
"I'm sure the founding fathers never envisioned children having access to high capacity, mechanical pencils with no. 2 lead."

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
I have a Nikon 4x fixed power scope on my 10/22. At this point all of my scopes are nikon. Not because they are the best, but because they are good quality. They are durable. The Nikon BDC app is the best tool I have used for figuring holdovers, bullet drop with a wide variety of commercial loads etc. Nikon is also priced within reason. The above scope can be had new for $90-110 dollars shipped to your door depending on your patience and persistence in the shopping process.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/149715/nikon-prostaff-classic-rimfire-rifle-scope-4x-32mm-nikoplex-reticle-with-3-8-dovetail-rings-matte

I am happy with my set-up.

+1

I have a nikon pro-staff 4x32.  It may not be the "best", but is very appropriate for a 10/22 and the price is reasonable.  I got mine for under $99 a few years ago.  I'm sure it's a bit more today, but that's still not much money for reasonably good glass.

Offline trinharder

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 04:27:04 PM »
+1

I have a nikon pro-staff 4x32.  It may not be the "best", but is very appropriate for a 10/22 and the price is reasonable.  I got mine for under $99 a few years ago.  I'm sure it's a bit more today, but that's still not much money for reasonably good glass.

That's what I ended up getting. $90 on Amazon. I have it mounted; just need to sight it in.