Author Topic: Indoor tree start problems..  (Read 1354 times)

Offline 5pointleo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Indoor tree start problems..
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »
I started a PILE of trees indoors this over this last winter.  Everything was going great until I started fertilizing them with some high nitrogen bat guano fertilizer that I inherited from a friend.  They've been on a steady decline since. 

I applied the guano as a fresh brewed tea twice over the span of two weeks. 

Once I started seeing adverse affects, I flushed everything thoroughly with tap water and pruned back any bad looking areas.

It's been about two weeks now and they seem to still be on the decline. 

You can view photos of the blackberry, pagoda and persimmons here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/grvz1aipu7p6fxh/7ENY2ecG4u

Any experts in here that can help?  Thanks!

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Indoor tree start problems..
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:42:33 PM »
That sucks.  Definitely looks like the high-nitrogen fertilizer burned your plants.  It probably caused some root damage, too, which is why they're not bouncing back.  Small cuttings and seedlings like those have very delicate root systems, so any damage at all can be catastrophic.  Flushing them with clean water to get the fertilizer out was a good move, but there's not much else you can do that I'm aware of.  They'll either pull through or die at this point, depending on how much damage was done to the roots.  You might try giving them a splash of weak and diluted compost tea or seaweed extract, since your flushing probably washed out whatever nutrients were in your soil along with the fertilizer.

Offline 5pointleo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »
Thank you for your response and experience!  They seem to be maintaining at the point.  There's new growth on many of them and we've been actively pruning back the bad areas. They seem to be responding well to that.  I repotted a few of them when we flushed them and the root systems were REMARKABLY small.  I've since been letting them dry out more to help deal with the fungus gnats and flushing with Azamax every 10 days and spraying with it every 3.  I haven't really added any nutrients since but I'll add some mild root booster next time I water. 

Offline 5pointleo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »
Skunkeye do these look diseased at all or just burnt?

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »
From the photos, it looks pretty typical of fertilizer burn to me.  Some of the continued yellowing could be from overwatering stress, caused by the flushing of the soil.  Let the soil dry as much as you can without the plants wilting, and try to keep the soil a little on the dry side (damp but not really wet) for a while, and you should see some improvement.

Offline 5pointleo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Thanks again Skunkeye!  You're the man  :)