Author Topic: Baofeng UV-5R or UV-82?  (Read 38741 times)

Offline BRNWSHD

• Prepper
Baofeng UV-5R or UV-82?
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »
Considering purchasing a couple of these radios (Baofeng UV-5R or UV-82), but need some help deciding which model. I don't feel the price deference is substantial.
Which one would you choose and why?

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Baofeng UV-5R or UV-82?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:31:45 AM »
the 5r has the big battery option...the 82 feels good 'in hand'.

the 82 has the wonky dual PTT (some love I never liked it)

the 5r has all of the extras avail, the 82 is pretty boring (minus the multi-color display)

I 'think' they have the same 'guts'

I chose "C" and pick the UV-5B.
it's little smaller than the 82, but works great! (no fun accessories but solid nonetheless)

http://www.brickolore.com/2014/04/baofeng-uv-b5-best-kept-secrets-secret.html

http://www.brickolore.com/search?q=uv+82

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:02:51 AM »
I chose 5R because of availability of accessories and batteries.  I also found more info and programming help online for the UV5R.

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »
Rumor is the 5R is tri-band capable.

I hear chirp is working on a programming mod to do the ham 220 band which is a VERY underutilized band with good propagation qualities.

Plus with 5R the AA clamshell battery, and extended battery options are superior.

FWIW

Offline BRNWSHD

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 06:26:38 PM »
Thanks for the replys. Guess I'm going with the 5R then. From everything I have read, the reviews, and your opinions. Thank you.

Offline Macca

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 12:29:04 PM »
I bought a Baofeng 5r.  programing is a bitch.  I am only planning on using it as a portable scanner mostly to have when I am working (I am a cop), but want to program in some common channels, or emergency channels, that can be used in a pinch if the SHTF and not for normal world ops.

I am not a licensed ham.  I understand the rules and have no intention on talking.

That said, is there anyone who can help with a simple cheat sheet?

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:08:16 PM »
The better stock antenna and apparently better sound reception on the UV-82L make it a very tempting buy, but the lack of an AA adapter leaves me weary of buying that model until one comes out for it (kudos to Stephen Harris for pointing out this issue in his latest comms podcast).

I am seriously considering purchasing some UV5Rs with extra antennas, AA adapters and a few extra accessories (car charger, car adaptor, mag mount antenna and spare battery) for an urban ARES go bag and perhaps an extra radio to keep at work, take on fishing trips, etc. or just have as a spare in case one of the others breaks down. Several people in our local ARES group have bought them, and they seem sufficient for nearby simplex or repeater communications between local Red Cross shelters. I'll maybe add a Slim Jim antenna for hitting repeaters when in the countryside (where the regular antennas won't likely cut it), but there's a limit to buying too much cheaply built Chinese gear!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 09:43:58 PM »
I've owned both & buy the 82's now.  I've bounced my 82's off the concrete enough to know they're fairly durable.  They're set up like a traditional radio & the dual PTT makes it handy for communicating on two separate frequencies when needed (& I frequently do).

I have the AA adapters for my Yaesu's & I've yet to use or need them.  The lack of one for the 82 is a moot point IMO.  They make an adapter cable that will plug into 12V in your vehicle but I carry a small inverter for EMS/SAR use anyway so I haven't needed to buy one.

Functionally the 5R & the 82 are the same.  Ergonomically (for lack of a better word) the 82 is the better choice IMO.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 10:24:29 PM »
I've owned both & buy the 82's now.  I've bounced my 82's off the concrete enough to know they're fairly durable.  They're set up like a traditional radio & the dual PTT makes it handy for communicating on two separate frequencies when needed (& I frequently do).

I have the AA adapters for my Yaesu's & I've yet to use or need them.  The lack of one for the 82 is a moot point IMO.  They make an adapter cable that will plug into 12V in your vehicle but I carry a small inverter for EMS/SAR use anyway so I haven't needed to buy one.

Functionally the 5R & the 82 are the same.  Ergonomically (for lack of a better word) the 82 is the better choice IMO.

I too am in a similar boat, having a Yaesu FT270D with AA adapter that I haven't had to use, but was thinking of Stephen Harris' comments on his latest podcast where he says that the original battery to his ICOM aviation band handheld (which is no longer available) cannot hold a charge, but that he bought an AA adapter for it that lets him still use it. He claims that the proprietary batteries that come with most handhelds won't hold a charge after about five to eight years, and recommends buying the adapter just in case the original batteries are no longer available.

Perhaps I'll buy one of each and gamble on the 82 battery working or still being available in 6-7 years time if Baofeng doesn't produce an AA adapter by then. If I understand correctly, the adaptor for vehicle use simply replaces the battery with car battery power, which doesn't allow it to be used outside of the vehicle (I realize that they also have a charger that uses the same port, but that's a moot point if the radio battery is dead).

Any further thoughts? I'm probably overthinking things at this point but wonder if any of my concerns make sense. An 82L package to my door will probably total $90 with shipping, duties and taxes, so I'm hoping that it would last.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
Now that I've got my first transceiver ordered (Yaesu FT2900r) I have a fresh perspective. 

The UV-5R seems to get cheaper daily.  Last I saw on amazon it was $33.  I'm sure to have cables that cost more.
Once I get rolling with my amateur career I'll probably pick one of these up for amusement.

I still view these a bit skeptically, just as firearms folks raise an eyebrow to guns that sell new for < $300.  But after I have a solid base station setup, a little budget H/T will be a nice addition.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 03:53:50 PM »
Hey again Smurf Hunter..There are 20 or more UV5R's in our club,I try to keep TWO. I like the fit and feel of the UV82 better as it is a tad slimmer,has bigger capacity battery, and a bit better(I feel) antenna. The 5 watts out VS 4 is no big deal,and the '82 is ONE inch taller than the'5 as the '82's antenna is TWO inches longer than the '5...BUT it FEELS better.
  They are both about the same ability and agility for accessories ...they don't use the same charge stand,BUT the wall and CAR charge cable PLUS ($10 or less) program cable is the same.

The UV5 has a habit of switching to the used channel in dual watch mode and often causes transmissions from nowhere to be heard.While the UV82 allows dual monitor and DUAL PUSH TO TALK with the built in Microphone so it helps clear the air. The same hand MIC fits and works on both radios, BUT only transmits through the LOWER displayed channel.

The portable is at it's best as a LISTENING DEVICE,though you are close enough to make good use of the transmitter.The HT will have enough PATH LOSS that repeaters you hear well can be just out of your range. A longer antenna will also helpp,but not so much as it also makes the radio less portable.

A vehicle mounted antenna makes most difference as an HT antenna is only HALF an antenna(the radio body being the other half) plus capacitance coupling to your hand and arm(not too efficient.) A UV5R on a magnetic mount is good for about 12 mile to our LOW (220 foot) repeaters ,you will/might do a little better ,but don't depend on it.

In a pinch ,standing still ,or parking still and moving a few inches at a time( to a hot spot) till you are heard well ,over the repeater will often allow you to get info passed...but is no fun to do every time.

With spare program cables and Mics and batteries all under $10 each and the radios holding up well , it is hard not to try one.
But you will NEED a program cable,as programming can be a BEAR,Chinese don't write ,or organize thoughts the way you and I do and rather than learning to think a new way ...it is easier to let the spreadsheet style software do that for you.

Great Baofeng info and help HERE:   http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
Now that I've got my first transceiver ordered (Yaesu FT2900r) I have a fresh perspective. 

The UV-5R seems to get cheaper daily.  Last I saw on amazon it was $33.  I'm sure to have cables that cost more.
Once I get rolling with my amateur career I'll probably pick one of these up for amusement.

I still view these a bit skeptically, just as firearms folks raise an eyebrow to guns that sell new for < $300.  But after I have a solid base station setup, a little budget H/T will be a nice addition.

What is a quality alternative to the UV-5R?  Three are so many models with similar capabilities from $150-$400 it seems.

Offline redeyeprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • redeyeprep
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 08:11:59 PM »
I think I'll pick up a Baofeng at Dayton tomorrow. I'm leaning towards the UV-5R now, although opinion seems to be almost evenly divided here. But for $40, it's hard to go wrong either way.   :)

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 04:51:35 AM »
A Quality Alternative to a UV-5R (dual-band HT)?

I'd say the most well-regarded alternative would be a Yeasu FT-60.  Built like a tank tough!
http://astore.amazon.com/foti03-20/detail/B004P4PDAO

that's my best assessment comparing the most common feature-it's dual band capability. 

Tri-Band:

VX-6R...submersible
http://astore.amazon.com/foti03-20/detail/B004ESEW6C

Kenwood TH-F6A...Wide RX
http://www.mtcradio.com/kenwood-th-f6a-2m-220-440-5w-tri-band-ht/

there are also some good picks for a Single-Band HT (prep/emcomm in mind):

like the Submersible FT-270
http://astore.amazon.com/foti03-20/detail/B004R3WKZ4

Icom V80 Sport with AA battery Tray
http://www.mtcradio.com/icom-ic-v80-sport-5w-2m-144-148-mhz/

Kenwood THK-20A 5.5 watts
http://www.mtcradio.com/kenwood-th-k20a-2-meter-5-5-w-ht/

Offline redeyeprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • redeyeprep
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »
Well, I'm now the proud owner of a Baofeng UV-5R. It really doesn't seem all that hard to set up, although I'm coming at it from the perspective of someone who's used an old Radio Shack HTX-245 for years. It's not exactly the most intuitive HT either.

Coming home, I had both radios tuned to 146.52. The old HTX was clearly more sensitive, even with with its crappy stock antenna. I think I'll be accessorizing the 5R with a new antenna in the near future.

Luckily, I think I found a nice companion amplifier for the Baofeng....

And while we're on the subject of antennas, the Japanese apparently have an innovative new mini tower setup....

:D

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 08:13:25 PM »

I have picked up the 82L - and I would agree that the sound quality is better; much better than the baofeng uv-b6/5.  The signal drift on the old hardware is not very good after it has been on 20 mins.

I tried upgrading the antenna on both the new and old hardware.  I found the old radio did improve a bit as long as you were not moving.  The new radio seem to work as well in 90% of the time, but did seem sensitive to antenna movement and angle(s).   

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 12:27:12 PM »
I have both and prefer the UV-82.
There is a new one out now with even more power but still in a reasonable price range.

Baofeng BF-F8HP on Amazon for $62.88 today.
BaoFeng's Only TRI-POWER (1, 4, 8 Watt) (USA Warranty) Dual-Band 136-174/400-520 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Transceiver, HT - With Battery, Antenna, Charger, and More.
It uses all the same accessories and batteries as the UV-5R.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 12:12:15 PM »
I picked up a bunch of UV82L radios that were on sale for $29.99 from Radioddity over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. The radios arrived about a week later and I just got a chance to take them to an ARES meeting on Wednesday to get them programmed for local repeaters and regularly scheduled simplex nets.

So far I'm impressed, and spoke with another ham using one from a distant suburb to hit the nearby repeater just yesterday. I sometimes need to step outside to hit the more distant repeaters but have discovered a number of nets and popular repeaters that I hadn't been familiar with.

The one flaw thus far was that one of the radios came with a defect, as it cannot be turned off and turns on the instant I put a battery into it. I've contacted the seller and was asked to send them a video of the radio not working, after which I suspect that they'll simply send a replacement. I'll keep you all posted.

I'm running a couple now to monitor some nets and test how long the batteries will last. So far they appear to have a fair bit of life to them.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 12:34:23 PM »
I have two UV-5Rs, to be honest I will likely not get any other Beofeng products, when I go for another HT I will get a higher end one instead of getting more Baofeng.

I think a UV-5R is a good thing to have since it anecdotally appears to be one of the most ubiquitous prepper HTs (especially among non-hams).

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »
I suggest getting a ponytail connector going from the uv5r sma connector to a pl259.

I use one connected to a mag mount antenna if I want quick and dirty mobile.

Suggest you go with pigtail type instead of the rigid adapter to reduce stress on the cheapo chicom HT body.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 10:15:54 PM »
I suggest getting a ponytail connector going from the uv5r sma connector to a pl259.

I use one connected to a mag mount antenna if I want quick and dirty mobile.

Suggest you go with pigtail type instead of the rigid adapter to reduce stress on the cheapo chicom HT body.

Funny enough, but when I took my radio's to the latest ARES meeting to get them programmed, I think that was the type of connector that we used to connect my Baofeng to the antenna on top of our Red Cross Headquarters. I was able to hit a local repeater that's about thirty miles away using it that way.

Since I had some trouble being heard off of some more distant repeaters and off of a regularly scheduled simplex net when using the radio with a Nagoya 771 antenna from home, I think I'll order a Slim Jim with the connector to an pl259 for my mobile and an adapter for the HTs. There's also a large metal table just outside of my place that might work well with a cheap mag-mount antenna that could also make the radio double as a mobile.

BTW, Radioddity.com replied to my video of the defective UV82L and they say that they'll be shipping a replacement shortly. So at least I'll get a spare battery and charger from the defective radio to make up for the inconvenience of having to wait for its replacement.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »
So to be clear, the Baofengs use antennas that have an SMA Female connection?

For a Slim Jim antenna with 16ft coax that I'd like to connect to either my Kenwood mobile transceiver or Baofeng, am I correct to surmise that I ought to get one with a pl259 connector for the transceiver and an adaptor to SMA female for it to fit into the Baofeng's SMA male connection? And I gather that the "ponytail" connector would allow greater flexibility to the connection to make it easier to hold and manipulate the radio? That's how the adaptor at the Red Cross office worked and I'd hate to not have that flexibility when connecting a handheld to coax.

I'd like to order the antenna soon, so any help in clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 01:14:48 AM »
if you need to use the SlimJim both for the mobile and the handhald radio you should get these:

SlimJim with coax ending in this connector
http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPPL-259-PL-259-Cable-Connector/dp/B001JT3NO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415001021&sr=8-1&keywords=pl-259+connector
it is a PL-259 (male UHF connector)

Then you need an adapter (pigtail) cable to relieve stress on the handheld and the connctors too.
http://www.amazon.com/DHT-Handheld-Antenna-Baofeng-Quasheng/dp/B00COKNKS8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1415001188&sr=8-7&keywords=pigtail+sma+female
this has a SO-329  (female UHF connector) that mates to the PL-259 and a SMA female connector that mates to your radio/

Your radio has a male SMA connector.
http://www.wellshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/sma-connector-plug-300x270.jpg
(Kenwood, yaesu, wouxon and TYT handhelds have the opposite style)

Don't fret, i went through this myself and half of it without internet assistance.

to further thigs a bit:
http://www.wellshow.com/technical-support/connector-support/what-is-an-sma-connector
generally connectors are defined male or female by the center pin/socket, not the outer screw threads.

Also take of serious note, the wi-fi aplications use SMA connectors with the center pins reversed. they are called RP-SMA
http://www.rfcoaxcable.com/support/rp_sma_connectors_Introduction.html
also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMA_connector

I suggest also building a small kit with radio connector adapters. (it will grow fast, be sure of it)
the first one in your case should be the following to use your SlimJim with a different handhled, case maybe be.
http://www.amazon.com/Male-Plug-Coaxial-Adapter-Connector/dp/B007POCITA/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1415002220&sr=8-20&keywords=sma+male+to+sma+male+adaptor
or a another pigtail
http://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Antenna-SO-239-Female-Connectors/dp/B00COW5E3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415002127&sr=8-1&keywords=so-239+to+sma+male+adaptor

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 07:55:54 AM »
Thanks GreekMan! That's very helpful.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 05:43:11 AM »
the 5r has the big battery option...the 82 feels good 'in hand'.

the 82 has the wonky dual PTT (some love I never liked it)

the 5r has all of the extras avail, the 82 is pretty boring (minus the multi-color display)

I 'think' they have the same 'guts'

I chose "C" and pick the UV-5B.
it's little smaller than the 82, but works great! (no fun accessories but solid nonetheless)

http://www.brickolore.com/2014/04/baofeng-uv-b5-best-kept-secrets-secret.html

http://www.brickolore.com/search?q=uv+82

Then SCW decides he 'needs' a little Cheap HT to tote around....and actually buys.....the Pofung A52  :o  Seems ok, though the B5 is less than $29 in the Fo Store  ;)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »
NO ONE can resist a BAO!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

over here there is the saying that "it's the cheap that eats your money"

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »
NO ONE can resist a BAO!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Its true.  They are freaky little things.  I would like to say they are the Hi-Point of the HT world, but that isnt quite it either.  The bottom line is they are so cheap that people with no idea of how to use them and no inclination to get licensed to transmit can still buy a couple of them for minimal cost. 

While I consider the chances of an EMP event to be quite low, if one were to occur we would likely find Baofengs ruling the world as they crawled out of ammo cans all over the country like cockroaches.

Just as the AR-15 has become the defacto standard civilian defensive rifle today, even among the non-gunnies.  The Baofeng may be shaping up to be the defacto standard HT of the preparedness world except among the radio nerds (and even the radio nerds who dont particularly like the Baofeng usually have a handful of them to play with  ;D )

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 03:57:14 PM »
hahaha!
Baofeng owners are liek a nagging wife....She cannot stop complaining about her husband,, but still she wouldn't let him go.....

While I consider the chances of an EMP event to be quite low, if one were to occur we would likely find Baofengs ruling the world as they crawled out of ammo cans all over the country like cockroaches.

I can read this 2 ways.
1. As a threat to HAM nerds and BAO haters.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
2. as the best pitch line for Baofeng to sell its radios (even more)   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »
hahaha!
Baofeng owners are liek a nagging wife....She cannot stop complaining about her husband,, but still she wouldn't let him go.....

I can read this 2 ways.
1. As a threat to HAM nerds and BAO haters.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
2. as the best pitch line for Baofeng to sell its radios (even more)   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Heehee.

So, there is some Ham Radio snob who talks trash on the Baofeng (probably well deserved).  But you notice his super nice tabletop transceiver, or the nice dual band rig in his car, or the digital trunking scanner?  They are all out and about and in use.  Those three hated Baofengs...sealed in an ammo can.  EMP happens...ham snob has a sad as he contemplates doing it all with the Baofengs.

Though I do concede that trying to program one makes you want to kick a puppy.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 12:34:26 AM »
try to maually program it, loose two nights in a row, and you Will kick the puppy and its whole family.
(it has its own reasoning, you program both receiving and transmitting frequencies AND the shift)