Author Topic: Icom ID-5100a  (Read 6107 times)

Offline Beechnut

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Icom ID-5100a
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
Anyone running this rig yet? Expensive for a dualbander at $699. Looks very promising though for the features.

I have a delima. Have around $1k to play with. Got my tech license in May and went overseas shortly thereafter. Back home in a few months. Setting up to purchase my first Ham equipment.

Do I go this route for a mobile rig and antenna, then wait on an HF rig. Or, get a lower priced dualbander and antenna, and also get an HF base station rig. (Not looking for mobile HF yet)

I usually like to save up for exactly what I want and get that, then I'm not going what if forever.

But I wonder if I'll be just fine with a more traditional dualbander like a yaesu 7900 or kenwood tm-v71a, and also getting an HF rig.

Looking to buy new also.

And what would be some suggested HF rigs?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Icom ID-5100a
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »
I've been a ham less than 6 months, and even with my general license, haven't bought any HF gear yet.

What have I learned through community building and from ham veterans who served during emergencies:

LOCAL COMMS ARE CRITICAL

If a volcano erupts, I'd rather radio a ham station across the valley using VHF/UHF rather than a station that's out of state.  I understand HF is extremely valuable, but for tactical "come help me" type work, I'm of the impression the local capabilities are most useful.

Last June I bought a 2 meter yaesu ft-2900r.  The vast majority of regional comms are on 2meters where I am.  Lots of mountain top repeaters, so I've got 100 miles+ going through some of these repeaters to folks on the opposite side.

Sure, the ft2900 does not have UHF, but for $140 shipped after rebate I can't complain.  I also have a scanner and a couple cheap Baofeng HTs. So I have UHF listening capability without much cost.  I also have a mag mount dual band antenna and have made some twin-lead Jpoles for VHF and UHF.  My UHF is a bit on the sloppy/cheap side, but I can do it.

If I was going to install a mobile rig into a vehicle, I probably would save up for dual band.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:08:12 AM »
BN, how much UHF traffic and how many UHF repeaters and there in your area?  If there's little to none, save yourself the money and get a single band 2m rig.  Or, pick up a Baofeng and have all bases covered, albeit minimally.  You can always plug it into an external antenna and have a sort-of base, or get a mag mount antenna hand have a sort-of mobile.

What Smurf said about LOCAL COMMS ARE CRITICAL, I'm really getting into.  Find out what's used locally.  Any clubs around?  Tons of good info there.  Sometimes, smokin' deals on good used gear there too.

$700 is a awful lot of money for a starter rig.  For example, $115 more, you can get a Yaesu 857D that'll do 2m, 70cm, and HF (not saying that you should go this way, just for example).  Think hard before spending $700 on a full-up VHF/UHF right out of the gate.

Offline Beechnut

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:14:43 AM »
Here is why I like this full up rig.

GPS and software feature that will load repeaters as you travel, based on coords.
DSTAR
Touch screen/large display
Dual recieve and can run VHF/VHF VHF/UHF UHF/UHF VHF/DV UHF/DV and DV/DV

Only thing it doesn't do is crossband repeat and some of the other companies digital modes.

Alan, your point about the quad band rig is right, accept I don't think I'd want to pull it out of the truck to mess around with HF, then put it back in the truck for 2m 440. And one limiting factor for the 857 as a VHF/UHF rig is the limited 200 memories.

But it is an option. Sacrifice moving the rig back and forth until I get a dedicated VHF/UHF rig.

I do end up traveling for recreation quite a bit. From NM to Colorado, Oklahoma and Texas. So I like the rolling gps ability.

But hey, could go 857 and a 2900 like Smurf mentioned.

It's a lot for a dualbander. But once I buy it, I'm not going to want for a different mobile rig for a long time. Top of the line to me.

Before this was announced, I was going to go kenwood 710a for the gps and aprs function, and cross band repeat.

I appreciate the inputs and the brainstorming.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:11:53 AM »
I think the purpose for a mobile rig would largely define which model I bought.  Is it actually in a vehicle or sitting on a table top?

If I was mounting in a vehicle, I might really value the detachable faceplate head units, that allow the actual transceiver to live under a seat, or in the trunk, but keeping the display up front.
For a "go-box" or desktop use, size, weight and mounting options are far less important.

Plan ahead, consider your needs and most common uses.  You don't want to be like this guy:

If it's in the budget, I think the ft7800 could be a fantastic dual band option, especially if installation flexibility is important:

Offline Beechnut

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 05:57:34 AM »
I'm looking for a dedicated 2M/440 rig for the truck. It's really a dilemma of getting a full up dual bander, or skimping on that and also getting an HF rig at the same time.

I'm leaning go with the best dual bander and then saving up for an HF rig. Just wanted to entertain some opinions about if these type of rigs are worth it to people that have them.

Here are some other high-end examples:

Kenwood TM-D710GA
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/Mobiles/TM-D710GA

Yaesu FTM-400DR
http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=227201D29C822AEFF8482F3367495319&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

Icom ID-5100A
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/mobile/id5100a/default.aspx

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:51:39 AM »
If you are prepared to spend more than a couple hundred on a mobile rig, I would strongly suggest cross-band repeat capability as a feature.

Especially if you live in rugged terrain, parking a vehicle on a hill top could allow communication with an HT from deep in a canyon out to repeaters that aren't otherwise reachable.

Offline Beechnut

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 03:22:33 AM »
You are right about cross-band repeat. That and it doesn't do APRS, although I did find a website that talks about doing APRS on a DSTAR Icom radio, using an android device.

http://www.aprs-is.net/DPRS.aspx

Lame that they didn't add it to the radio  >:(