Author Topic: Baofeng UV-5R or UV-82?  (Read 39021 times)

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Baofeng UV-5R or UV-82?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
Just a quick observation that I thought I should share and ask about.

Has anyone noticed the quality of their transmission go down when using the microphone that attaches to the side of the UV82L or UV5R?

The reason I ask is that another ham confirmed Friday night that I came through much clearer when speaking directly into the radio. I was consequently able to get into a net on Sunday that I wasn't able to check into the previous weekend and suspect that the improvment would have been just enough to make it into a simplex net where I was barely audible by NCS.

Of course, being Baofengs, I'll try out a second mic through my various radios to see if it's simply a luck of the draw to find a combo that works fine, but for now I'll take off the mic whenever I'm on the edge of my effective range.

To close on a brighter note, I can effectively transmit through at least four repeaters with the radio using a Nagoya 771 antenna.

endurance

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 02:12:40 PM »
Just a quick observation that I thought I should share and ask about.

Has anyone noticed the quality of their transmission go down when using the microphone that attaches to the side of the UV82L or UV5R?
Our department just got 20 new Bendix/King radios, $2700 each, and they're worthless with the microphones.  Can't hear anything clearly on them, nobody can understand a word you're saying on them, but take the mikes off and they're great.  Go figure.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 03:04:41 PM »
Our department just got 20 new Bendix/King radios, $2700 each, and they're worthless with the microphones.  Can't hear anything clearly on them, nobody can understand a word you're saying on them, but take the mikes off and they're great.  Go figure.

BK radios are better  than that ,sounds like incorrect impedance match between mic and radio....this happens with 'after-market' MICs for many brands.If you are handy ...a small capacitor across the Mic element often cures it...(.01MFD to 1 MFD)

endurance

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 03:49:05 PM »
BK radios are better  than that ,sounds like incorrect impedance match between mic and radio....this happens with 'after-market' MICs for many brands.If you are handy ...a small capacitor across the Mic element often cures it...(.01MFD to 1 MFD)
Errm, the moment I modify a piece of department equipment is the moment I suspect I'll find myself persona non grata.  Probably a perfectly valid suggestion, but we've all come to just deal with the fact that the mics don't work.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 03:52:44 PM »
Errm, the moment I modify a piece of department equipment is the moment I suspect I'll find myself persona non grata.  Probably a perfectly valid suggestion, but we've all come to just deal with the fact that the mics don't work.

Here's a cheap safe test - buy a < $10 replacement chinese speaker/mic.  If it works better, you have a solution :)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 02:50:34 AM »
Hmm, never purchased or used the handmike with the UV-5R.  Will have to try it though.  Using it normally while driving is a PITA.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 05:06:42 AM »
I think using the handheld while driving (even with the mike) is more dangerous than with a cell phone.

On the other hand once you go handmike you never go back.

Offline Fire Ant

• Prepper
  • Awakened 2009, Oath Keeper
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »
(posting in this thread because I have a Baofeng 5R)

I am a newly licensed ham operator.

My purpose is for use in a disaster. (NOT a hobbyist, have too many hobbies already, and not enough time).

My question at this point is about HAM radio - I need someone with knowledge to tell me how to use the "Tech" level bands to communicate long range using man portable hand radios and antenna.  Think "Backpack" or "Hiking" radios.  Something you could carry on the Appalachian Trail. 

"Long" is a relative term... My Baofeng 5R can get 5-15 miles with the longer 15" antenna.  I am looking for 50-100 miles or even 500 miles. I heard/read that the antenna is more important than the watts and that it was possible to make an antenna that would accomplish this range, yet roll up to pocket size (dipole that could be hung in a tree? or was that j-pole?). Is this possible?

Every time I ask a local Ham Operator, they say to buy a big radio, amplifier, 100' tower and beam antenna and get a higher level license to transmit on 80 meter band. Tinker with this, tinker with that, build this.

To do that does not meet the mission -- it has to be portable AND affordable to the rank and file.

So, where do I find this "how-to" info?

(If you think it is impossible without going to 40 or 80 meter band with bulkier equipment -- please do not bother to answer, save the band width for those who have a solution or possible solution.  That will save space and time.  If no one answers, I will have my answer -- without reading 400 posts that just say "it can't be done")

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »
(posting in this thread because I have a Baofeng 5R)

I am a newly licensed ham operator.

My purpose is for use in a disaster. (NOT a hobbyist, have too many hobbies already, and not enough time).

My question at this point is about HAM radio - I need someone with knowledge to tell me how to use the "Tech" level bands to communicate long range using man portable hand radios and antenna.  Think "Backpack" or "Hiking" radios.  Something you could carry on the Appalachian Trail. 

"Long" is a relative term... My Baofeng 5R can get 5-15 miles with the longer 15" antenna.  I am looking for 50-100 miles or even 500 miles. I heard/read that the antenna is more important than the watts and that it was possible to make an antenna that would accomplish this range, yet roll up to pocket size (dipole that could be hung in a tree? or was that j-pole?). Is this possible?

Every time I ask a local Ham Operator, they say to buy a big radio, amplifier, 100' tower and beam antenna and get a higher level license to transmit on 80 meter band. Tinker with this, tinker with that, build this.

To do that does not meet the mission -- it has to be portable AND affordable to the rank and file.

So, where do I find this "how-to" info?

(If you think it is impossible without going to 40 or 80 meter band with bulkier equipment -- please do not bother to answer, save the band width for those who have a solution or possible solution.  That will save space and time.  If no one answers, I will have my answer -- without reading 400 posts that just say "it can't be done")

You CAN get long range . the best way is in knowing your equipment and it's limitations.(USE it often,a spare battery is cheap)
While on level ground you can get about 7 miles to another ground based unit , as UHF/VHF is LINE OF SIGHT
radio and if up a high place (you ,the other guy,or one of your antennas REPEATER...about 25 miles at 200 feet above
average terrain and 50-60 miles at 1000 feet above terrain...but RADIO WILL NOT GO THROUGH DIRT and
that means you can't talk out of the valley...

As a HAM you can access one of many satellites put up by and for HAM use and  talk over a large portion of the earth,
and a directional antenna (BEAM) like is made by ARROW ANTENNAS will go a long ways to insure you get heard.
YouTube has many UV5R/satellite how to videos and many pages of frequency program tips and use are easily found
with Google or other search engine.You don't have 24 hour coverage with sats,and you might also look into FRS and HAM monitored frequencies and protocol (as in times that radios are listened to) to increase your chances of being heard also reduce frustration.