Author Topic: my personal HAM plan  (Read 38643 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: my personal HAM plan
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2014, 08:03:40 PM »
UPDATE

I now believe my boafeng yo be a piece of junk.

While I was able to HIT repeaters I did find it odd that no humans ever responded.  So I sat down with my ft2900 and my uv5re and when I TX from the uvr5e I can hear the repeater chunk but not my voice.

This is true for all antenna combinations.

E.g. uv5r on the jpole and ft2900 on a mag mount

Its almost as if my microphone wasnt working as improving thw antenna makes kerchunking more distant repeaters possible but I never hear my voice when listening to the repeater on a scanner or my ft2900.

Did I get a dude baofeng or is there some trick involved?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2014, 08:17:32 PM »
Well I believe I have a bad mic on my uv5re.  I went to 146.520 simplex and couldn't hear a thing however DTMF tones came through suggesting TX works.

Should I buy a mic headset and see if that works?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2014, 09:08:25 PM »
Smurf, there are still several possibilities however where the Baofeng's working OK.  If the Yaesu and Baofeng's antennas are fairly close, the Baofeng's spray might be blocking out the Yaesu, and all you'd hear is the repeater's kerchunk when you un-key the Baofeng.  Can you get somebody to listen in on the Yaesu while you try talking on the Baofeng from a block away?

Also, it's pretty easy to trigger a repeater, but another thing to get useable voice through it.  If your Yaesu set to 5 watts can do it through a particular antenna, the Baofeng ought to be able to do it through the same antenna too.  But if you're using different antennas, that might be the difference.

Are you programming it with chirp?  Is the TX power set to high?  IIRC, there's a 5w and 0.5w setting.  0.5 might be enough to trip the repeater but not enough to talk.

Tim Glance blogged a while back that he's seen Baofeng cases that weren't drilled for the mic. (http://survivalcommsblog.com/2014/04/09/is-that-40-baofeng-or-woxun-radio-really-a-good-prepper-radio-not-so-much/)  It's possible...

All that failing, who'd you get it through?  Amazon?  Any return policy?

If return seems like a dead end, you might as well try a mic.  They're under $10, so it's not much risk.  Frustrating though.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2014, 07:46:36 AM »
I just ordered mine from Amazon. I thought it would be OK. Lets hope so. I'll check mine with a friend. Sunday nights we have a net I can check into. Good luck on the mike. Also when you run two radios so close togeather You can deseince one because of the AGC.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »
More troubleshooting.

What I know about my uv5re

I can "kerchunk" repeaters, so tones are being TX

I can hear some static and see the "busy" light on my ft2900r and police scanner when I TX on a simplex

I can also send DTMF tones from my uv5r and hear them on my mobile and scanner

I didn't have a mic to test, but using some iphone headphones plugged into the mic jack I could faintly hear myself if I spoke loud.  (I understand mics don't have db gain like speakers, etc.)

Here's a video demonstrating the above:

http://youtu.be/uhC1UdB_mM8

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2014, 12:23:43 PM »
Perhaps the mic disconnect(in the plug on the radio) has a gremlin in it, Try to plug in and un plug the program cable a few times as reported in other places. Amazon has been good about making things right for me and everyone I am aware of, no worry ,just a bit of bother.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2014, 09:06:28 PM »
Yeah, from your video it does look like a mic or mic disconnect problem.  Sounds like Carl's suggested fix is the next step.

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2014, 11:15:35 PM »
A friend of mine had one of those radios, listened to it for months before he got his license. As soon as he was legal, he found out the mic didn't work... had to exchange the radio.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »
I did some research on amazon reviews.  LOTS of people had my issue, and many who returned the item had a repeat of the problem with a new unit.

ALSO, some of the sellers (almost none are actually sold by amazon) are reselling returned models. Apparently mine could be one of them, as when I downloaded the radio's memory into CHIRP it had a few dozen presets saved.  I saved all that data and might look to see if I can establish if an end user actually did that, or if it's factory.  It's possible this is a nasty rumor, but many have suggested it to be the case.

Becuase amazon.com was not the actual seller, I can only request a refund, and not a replacement.  Not a huge issue, but I have to place a new order and roll the dice.  I might just order one more from a different seller, perhaps even a different firmware or other variant to ensure I get a different manufactured batch.  If that works, then I'll return the first one for a refund.

Worst case, I have an good FM receiver for less than $40, and if it works with the $6 headset I've ordered, then maybe it'll be good enough to stash in a "get home bag" or similar.

Offline exSun

• Prepper
  • Old and in the way!
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »
I just ran across this thread and read through it. It seems like you are making good progress up the learning curve. One thing - around the time of Field Day in the thread (28-29 June this year) I didn't see any references to participating in it. I suggest you give it a try next year with your club or other group. It will be a concentrated dose of practical HF, and you can learn a lot about the right way (and the other ways) to set up an expedient radio station.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »
I just ran across this thread and read through it. It seems like you are making good progress up the learning curve. One thing - around the time of Field Day in the thread (28-29 June this year) I didn't see any references to participating in it. I suggest you give it a try next year with your club or other group. It will be a concentrated dose of practical HF, and you can learn a lot about the right way (and the other ways) to set up an expedient radio station.

I was aware, but truth is we were out of town on a long ago planned family trip.  Next year...

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
I was aware, but truth is we were out of town on a long ago planned family trip.  Next year...
That was my problem this year.  Field Day is right on top of the 4th, and my extended family always has get-togethers then.  Even if I'm not traveling that weekend, I'm usually getting ready to travel.  As you said, maybe next year...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2014, 10:48:08 AM »
Field Day has,in many areas ,just become another contest and that is a waste... Field Day should be an open,family ,event with radio ....in my area it became a day that the 'contest' HAMs had a set-up and paid for ..lock the doors to keep out riff-raff go for the GOLD...with useless POINTS being the soul purpose of the event ...and not the family atmosphere and introduction to HAM radio and friendly get-together that appears to have been the 'original' intent of the founding HAMs.

Due to this I often encourage others to operate as portable stations and learn to make working antennas from scrap wire and such. We no longer build full size radios as parts cost prevents this ,but many HAMs can build and use low power CW radios very effectively.

The ability to think on the fly is quickly becoming a lost art and no matter how many PDF's you have , You will most often depend on the info you have in your head. The gear may be behind the curve,but the innovation of most NEW radio uses comes from people who TRY new things and succeed while others just say that hasn't been done before.....

HAM is more a VERB than a NOUN...do something .

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
  I have been enjoying Field Day from the time I was in High School. 1960 something. Right now I have 4 or 5 portable masts in the garage. A air powered antenna luncher in my trunk. One compleat 100w go bag radio stations about 3 feet from me. One QRP muliti band cw go bag 2 feet from me and three portable antennas inside six feet of me.
  Be careful. It can be addicting. I have been to so many Field Days and tried so many things At one time I thought I knew it all.  I was wrong. There are many go outside and have fun with radios groups, you should be able to find one you like.
  Many QRP  groups have two hour sprints and outdoor get togethers. The MI-QRP club is having one OCT. 18 in Hell, MI. They will be running a mode called Hell Scriber.
  I relise that for many of you ham radio is a means to an end and not for fun, but sometimes you can do both. 73 

Offline exSun

• Prepper
  • Old and in the way!
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
Not all FD participants see it as a contest. The local group I went with had 2 goals: have fun and get the station on the air. I hope most FD groups can keep the "contest" factor to a minimum. The best way to learn HF radio is eyes on and hands on, so in FD we are training up the next couple of HF operator generations.