Author Topic: Squash Arch  (Read 2002 times)

Offline MonsterBeetle

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Squash Arch
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:26:47 AM »
This year we decided to grow some squash. We eat a lot of it anyway and despite the fact they taste great they also last in storage or simply on the shelf for months. There are two varieties, butternut and spaghettie squash.

First of all I used some old bits from a old canvas wardrobe as I wanted to do this as cheaply as possible. It wasn't an arch but thought the squash wouldn't mind too  uch and would still grow over and through it..

I then started to think about what I could make the arch out of. The squash were getting too big for the pots and taking up too much space in the greenhouse. They were never meant to stay in either pots or the greenhouse so it was time to get the thinking cap on.

As it turned out, some of the trees in the garden needed their lower branches cutting as a number of the birch branches were almost laying on the floor. For a second they were just going to go in a pile to burn in the chiminea until I realised I had what I needed right there.

With the help of some paracord they were lashed together to form the arch. I had intended to make the arch 6' high but there wasn't enough wood so I had to go with what there was.

It's not going to win any prizes for looks but it seemed sturdy enough to do the job. I moved the squash so they were planted on the outside and inside ends and filled the remaining space with sprouts, cabbage and a couple of types of kale.

After a couple of weeks they had properly started to bed in.

And a couple fo days ago..

So far there are over a dozen growing with more flowers coming up. Hopefully next year I can expand the arch or make a new one thats more akin to a doorway like I originally planned.

Offline Aniera

• Prepper
Re: Squash Arch
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:46:37 AM »
Nice, that is quite the aesthetically pleasing arch :).  I think I will have to try this some time for sure instead of letting our run all over the ground. 

Offline MonsterBeetle

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:19:27 AM »
The main reason for lifting them off the floor is that our garden is a haven for slugs and they will and have consumed whole plants in the past. I don't have much usuable space because I rent. I did manage to pursuade the landlord to let me dig up part of the garden and stick a greenhouse in. If this was actually my property there would be no lawn, lol.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »
it is lovely!  I love your yard, all green and stuff.  (I gotta get out of this desert, or at least quit looking at green pictures! lol)

Offline MonsterBeetle

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:49:11 AM »
Not many deserts here in the UK. If it's not green it's wet and green  :D

Without the use of a greenhouse this year things would not have progressed as well as they have. First year I've used one and I'll always have one now.