Author Topic: ZORIN a great Windows replacement...FREE  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
ZORIN a great Windows replacement...FREE
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »
I have used LINUX in one form or another for years,with UBUNTU being a favorite. But now ,for a year or so I have been testing ZORIN and it is a WINNER. It is FREE,stable,and looks like Windows...very easy to navigate and use...PLUS has it's own OFFICE compatible software that is also FREE.
  It boots to a live DVD to try it out or installs along with you 'other OS for a dual boot system.

http://zorin-os.com/

Offline austinrob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: ZORIN a great Windows replacement...FREE
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
yet another ubuntu offshoot...  I'll have to have a look at it.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »
Yes it is a smooth UBUNTU version with a lot to like,I like Windows,but the way the force me to buy-up and dropped Win XP Pro ...my favorite stable OS...just makes me want to do something else. ZORIN is a good OS ,easy to navigate for Windows users ...and is very stable and fast on my middle of the road desktops (2.4 GHZ,2 Gig RAM)

Offline austinrob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 01:50:20 PM »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:46:41 AM »
Thanks for the pointer, but everytime I see a post from you my first thought is STFU CARL!

:)

https://www.google.com/search?q=stfu+carl&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5uLCU_TfLtisyASJwoLYCQ&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1164&bih=852

What did I do to get this?  Or should I just laugh?

Offline austinrob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
just laugh.

It's not about you.  Your nick just reminds me of these

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »
just laugh.

It's not about you.  Your nick just reminds me of these

I have not taken it personal, never knew my name was famous....

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »
I haven't run a dedicated linux box for a couple years.  I have a few old PCs in the garage collecting dust, but it seems I can't find a real use for them.
story time...

12 years ago I made my own wifi router from a p166.  It had an ISA slot card that accepted a PCMCIA 802.11b card (remember those before PCI?), as well as 2 conventional 10/100 3com NICs.  The box ran Debian linux and I hand crafted the IPCHAINS rules myself.  It worked pretty darn well, but then I lost the power supply - no problem, I got spares.  Then the HDD went - no problem, I only need a small disk to run this, and had it backed up.  A few days later I saw an ad in the paper for a netgear wifi router for $39.  I bought that and never looked back. 

Likewise with media servers, firewalls, and other functions that have now been encapsulated into inexpensive solid state appliances for around $50.

Now that my 10 year old son is showing a strong interest in technology, I might have to setup a modest workstation for him.  He actually figured out how to program in BASIC on his Nintendo 3DS, so I figure I should show him how to write REAL code at some point...

Offline bkt

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »
If you're looking for an OS that *looks* like Windows but really runs Linux, that's cool. But Zorin uses Wine and Play-On-Linux to run Windows programs on Linux and neither of those solutions are all that good; expect lots of flaky problems at best.

I've been running Linux since '92 and it's my primary OS, but I run XP and Win7 in VirtualBox. It gets the job done for work and play.

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • DIY Biochar
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »
I haven't run a dedicated linux box for a couple years.  I have a few old PCs in the garage collecting dust, but it seems I can't find a real use for them.
story time...

12 years ago I made my own wifi router from a p166.  It had an ISA slot card that accepted a PCMCIA 802.11b card (remember those before PCI?), as well as 2 conventional 10/100 3com NICs.  The box ran Debian linux and I hand crafted the IPCHAINS rules myself.  It worked pretty darn well, but then I lost the power supply - no problem, I got spares.  Then the HDD went - no problem, I only need a small disk to run this, and had it backed up.  A few days later I saw an ad in the paper for a netgear wifi router for $39.  I bought that and never looked back. 

Likewise with media servers, firewalls, and other functions that have now been encapsulated into inexpensive solid state appliances for around $50.

Now that my 10 year old son is showing a strong interest in technology, I might have to setup a modest workstation for him.  He actually figured out how to program in BASIC on his Nintendo 3DS, so I figure I should show him how to write REAL code at some point...

If your kid is into BASIC then download BaCon on a Linux box. It's fun and works really well.

http://www.basic-converter.org

It's a BASIC to C converter so your aps are compiled and run fast.

Good luck

John

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:23:01 AM »
They just released ZORIN version NINE,and it looks even better.

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • DIY Biochar
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »
They just released ZORIN version NINE,and it looks even better.

Downloading it now and will give it a try.....
John

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
Downloading it now and will give it a try.....
John

Try it on the LIVE DISK but it is more stable when installed,and will install as dual boot with your original OS...Would love to hear what others think after trying it out.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 01:22:36 PM »
Now that my Windows 7 computer is functioning again, I'm thinking of giving this a try. Would you recommend a partition or running it in a virtual machine?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 01:52:03 PM »
You can run it direct from the DVD as a live disk, but it really is at it's best as an install..and it will do a partition and install with you just selecting those options,no more need to manually do those things.It looks like a familiar OS but is very stable and so
comfortable ,as I was in fear of leaving Windows (XP PRO) ..it has Firefox and Chrome browsers and VLC is one of the best video/audio player available.

Except for ICONS,you may not think it changed your OS.

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • DIY Biochar
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
Now that my Windows 7 computer is functioning again, I'm thinking of giving this a try. Would you recommend a partition or running it in a virtual machine?

I test most Linux distress in a VBox first for a couple of weeks before installing it.

John

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • DIY Biochar
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
Wow, chugs a bit in VBox. They need to cut off all the FX stuff so that it will run a little faster, don't think I will install this on my netbook.

Good looking though and it does remind me a bit of Windows.

John