Author Topic: What proteins do you grow?  (Read 20115 times)

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What proteins do you grow?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 08:46:19 PM »
Thanks, yes both my tractors have PTO, the 861 has live PTO and twice the HP of the 8N which makes the job a little easier. Although I have baled thousands of bales with my 8N and can throw it out of gear and back in so fast the baler/combine barely slows. Practice makes perfect, live PTO is handy but it is a luxury. If you watch the video anytime I stop or slow down and the combine or baler is still going I have put it in neutral and let the clutch back up to keep power to my PTO.

The AC All Crops were a legend when it comes to harvesting small hard to clean crops like clover and grass. There were plenty of other PTO powered combines and even a few big boy combines powered by PTO. In my area I have also seen some Oliver and John Deere ones, about everybody in the tractor and implement world made their own or re badged somebody elses. I chose the AC because it has the best parts availability.

I graze my cattle on the rye when it is growing, but I don't feed the grain to my cattle. This spring I grazed down one of my rye fields and tilled it under to plant sunflowers and popcorn. Even after I let my cattle destroy it the rye tried to bounce back, and a few who survived the disc went to seed. Next year I am grazing it down and letting it rebound and harvest the seed. I am very curious as to the yield hit and how well it will work. The rye grain I feed goes to the chickens and other critters whole mixed at about 5% of my feed.

I have geared up to grow small grains to make my own organic chicken feed. In a couple years I will have the few missing links and be selling bags of prepared grains all grown on my small farm. That is my goal, I started life dirt poor so it took a decade to collect all the equipment I currently have. Some things are hard to find in the condition I require in my price range.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »
Next year I am grazing it down and letting it rebound and harvest the seed. I am very curious as to the yield hit and how well it will work.

Me too. Keep us posted.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »
@ JLMissouri
I don't know much about rye.  Do you bale and feed out the clippings, or is it pretty much straw.  I used to buy baled grass seed clippings and it usually offered a protein level between 9 & 10%, but now that they are using hydraulic presses to squeeze the bales down in to tiny bales and putting it on ships to China, they are getting the same price for it as they are good grass hay.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:49 AM »
@ JLMissouri
I don't know much about rye.  Do you bale and feed out the clippings, or is it pretty much straw.  I used to buy baled grass seed clippings and it usually offered a protein level between 9 & 10%, but now that they are using hydraulic presses to squeeze the bales down in to tiny bales and putting it on ships to China, they are getting the same price for it as they are good grass hay.

I bale the straw after I combine the grain. It is pretty much the same as wheat straw at that point, but a rye field will give twice as much straw as a wheat field. I sell come of the straw and use the rest around the barn in winter and for nest boxes etc.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »
I had completely forgotten about the old all-crops.  My little tractor can run one of those. 

I have been daydreaming over growing my own fuel with sunflowers, but didn't want to harvest acres by hand. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
I have been daydreaming over growing my own fuel with sunflowers, but didn't want to harvest acres by hand.

Yikes!!

Cedar

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »
Yikes!!

Cedar

Grandpa harvested 100+ acres of corn every fall by hand, 40-50 of his own and then did "custom work" for the neighbors because he was twice as fast as anyone around.  One of his secrets was his team was voice trained so he didn't need a driver.  I figured I could struggle through a few acres. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 02:12:47 PM »
One of his secrets was his team was voice trained so he didn't need a driver.  I figured I could struggle through a few acres.

With a scythe or horses?

Cedar

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 02:25:41 PM »
He picked corn by hand in the field.  He walked along the row and husked the corn while it stood, broke the ear off the stalk, and threw it into the wagon.  Most guys had to have someone drive the wagon for them, he had his horses trained to pull ahead a wagon length at a time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suy0kGnQXeI

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 08:42:22 PM »
I had completely forgotten about the old all-crops.  My little tractor can run one of those. 

There is a couple videos of people using All Crops for Sunflowers.

http://youtu.be/7siG3waypMU

Funny you should mention Sunflowers and oil, as that is why I am growing sunflowers. I figured it is a multi use crop as once the seeds are pressed you can feed the press cake to the chickens/hogs. You get your feed and your oil. I am in the middle of collecting everything to add an auxiliary tank to the front of my 861 to burn vegetable oil, and most of my vehicles are diesel, with spare diesel engines for the gas vehicles I plan on keeping.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 06:56:09 AM »
That was exactly my idea.  100 gallons per acre, plus good feed (that hard to get protein source).  I have the payback down to 5-7 years, but I really want it down to 3--the big issue is the press--I need to find an old school press.  I remember farm-scale presses back in the 80's being demonstrated at the county fair, but can't find many sources anymore. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
How many gallons are you guys going to plan to offset by growing your own biofuel? Taking the cake for the livestock out of it, is there a break even point in harvesting it and processing it?

And how do you keep the cake from going rancid before you can feed it out?

Cedar

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 10:13:14 AM »
Checkout the Piteba press for around $150. It is the cheapest smallest press I know of and is hand powered like an old sausage grinder. You can of course easily adapt it to an electric motor. That is what I am going to use for testing. There are now Chinese and Indian knock offs of this press. It is much slower than a big extruder, but set it up to run while working in the shop. Maybe have several going. The cheapest other extruder that I know of cost several thousand.

I plan on feeding the press cake pretty soon after it is extruded. I will also only be pressing in the winter (too busy in the growing season), so it will easily keep for a long time in the cool environment. I have since got a source of used cooking oil, but will still be geared up to raise my own fuel if needed. I like having fall back fuel independence. I get about 20 gallons of used oil a month and my 861 is very efficient.

For my diesel tractor I plan on running it on the SVO system about 90% of the time. I will only start it and kill it on diesel. The tank I am building will have a 110 water heater element in it so I don't have to wait for the oil to be heated, it will be preheated already.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
How many gallons are you guys going to plan to offset by growing your own biofuel? Taking the cake for the livestock out of it, is there a break even point in harvesting it and processing it?

And how do you keep the cake from going rancid before you can feed it out?

Cedar

I also planned to press as needed, more or less.  I need more cake than diesel at this point, but that could change with a change of vehicles.  Storing oil is easy, well simple anyway. 

My plan to grow is to put a strip one the side of the swales, narrowing my pasture lanes during the summer and then let them into to stubble after harvest.  I want to be able to either double crop the sunflowers (growing pumpkins, squash, beans, etc) under them and then just clip the sunflower heads off for harvest, or no-till into the existing pasture to prevent.  I do NOT want to start dirt farming, but am not opposed to strategic use of horsepower--two passes across the field (plant and harvest) would be awesome, 10 (plow, disk, harrow, plant, spray, cultivate, cultivate, cultivate, harvest, chop stalks) would not.  I have a lot of research to do on this yet. 

Offline soniarios

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2016, 12:26:41 PM »
i also grow moringa proteins!

Offline soniarios

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
I was looking at realistic calories that I can provide for myself the other day, on site. Remeber that I am older and disabled, but still the list of what is happening right now is this, I took the annual yield and divided it to cover all year, so each week, I should be able to have : 1pnd potato; 1pnd sweet potato; 1 butternut squash, 1/2pnd wheat; 1/2 pnd dry beans; 1 dozen eggs; 1 gallon milk; 1 cup olive oil. This equates to 1225 calories a day. I also grow and eat all fruits and veggies, mostly brocolli, greens, tomatoes, berries, persommon and apples, and some dry corn, which adds at least a couple hundred calories a day. There is also meat that we produce, but since I dont usually eat this, I didnt add in the calories. If I needed to, I would eat it. We generally can chicken, this would equate to 1/2 cup cooked chicken a week, and bone broths of course, and goat meat of about 1/2 a 5 month old goat a month... so ... more than 1 cup a week of canned goat meat and then a ton of bone broths, adding an estimate of 84 calories a day meat (broth and animal fats add more not calculated) ...  up to over 1600 calories a day

It was satisfying to calculate this. Obviusly, I buy more grains(wheat, rice), sugar, salt and butter, but it is nice to see that without much effort, time or energy that I can feed myself, I know some of you need more calories than me, but then you would be able to use your age and size to make more food. I dont want to have to provide everything for myslef,and realy couldnt and dont find "lone wolf" ideas to be desirable, but it is still satisfying to see how little effort it takes to feed onesself.

Right now, with bought in feeds, we get much more milk and eggs than that, but on my own forage and gathering, the yield is estimated. I also have a few chestnut trees and hazel nut trees, and squirrels eat all the yeild. Tan oak acorns are prolific in the woods if one was desperate, my attempts to make them palatable havent worked well, but would be good chicken food if no bought in feeds. Chestnuts if cracked and dried to save over the season could also be soaked and make a good chicken feed component, my neighbor has a tree that yields great and the squirrels cant keep up, I hope eventually mine will get that way.