Author Topic: AmRRon intro video  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
AmRRon intro video
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »
COMMS UP! An Introduction to AmRRON: http://youtu.be/MMkAiNy2v3k

I'm not necessarily endorsing this but the perspective was very intersting to me.

It reinforces the idea that earning a ham ticket is difficult and inaccesible for most.  It also seems to encourage that weird opsec vibe you find in the JWR crowd.

Let us know what you think.  If nothing else us hams should be aware of this and form opinions for ourselves.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: AmRRon intro video
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »
JJS is Good Peeps....have participated in their nets in the past....a great deal of sensibility in their SOI....
caveat: like everything, it may not be for everyone....
One can infer almost anything from anything  ;)

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:44:45 PM »
fwiw, they are to release a part 2 sometime soon.....I have not seen or heard much about it

Offline Russkie

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »
JJS is Good Peeps

I'll second that. I like 'em, and listen to the podcast fairly regularly.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:52:31 PM »
I just saw the second Comms Up video on Tuesday and would expect it to be available on You Tube soon. It went into more detail about the different levels of licensing and gear from handhelds to HF transceivers. It also gave more detail about digital modes and dropped the part about using low power FM transmitters.

JJS has been a big proponent of people getting their ham licenses and really pushes going for the Technicians class and at least getting a Baofeng. I'll agree that licensing isn't that hard and the most basic radios are very affordable, definitely within the means of most people that are even moderately interested in prepping. I could however see SW radios with SSB being the most cost effective and practical for lots of people who even if they went for their Technicians license, might not have the time or funds to get into HF. And there might be some locales where simply purchasing a CB radio might be the cheapest and most efficient way to connect with neighbours.

Perhaps my biggest critique of both videos might be that however laudable it may be to push the Baofeng handhelds, both videos depict people using them to call for help or update family on their situation when stuck someplace presumably several miles from safety. My impression however is that unless you're within fairly close range or using a repeater (which wouldn't have been used in either scenario), I'm not sure that the Baofeng or most any 5W handheld would cut it. A VHF/UHF mobile would have been more realistic for those scenarios, though I wouldn't expect a father to throw one of those into an emergency vehicle kit for his kids, much less for one of them to know what to do with it if he did.

And as for AMRRON and TAPRN, I've monitored and checked into both, even though I've usually had difficulty hearing them and haven't been able to communicate much more than to give my call sign. But at least I'm learning about propagation and playing with my antenna in order to increase its efficiency, and am making progress at it. So they've been a good resource for me. I'll admit to being skeptical of much of JWR's degree of pessimism about the future, but that certainly hasn't gotten in the way of participating in either group.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »

Perhaps my biggest critique of both videos might be that however laudable it may be to push the Baofeng handhelds, both videos depict people using them to call for help or update family on their situation when stuck someplace presumably several miles from safety. My impression however is that unless you're within fairly close range or using a repeater (which wouldn't have been used in either scenario), I'm not sure that the Baofeng or most any 5W handheld would cut it. A VHF/UHF mobile would have been more realistic for those scenarios, though I wouldn't expect a father to throw one of those into an emergency vehicle kit for his kids, much less for one of them to know what to do with it if he did.

Speak of the devil, my replacement Baofeng uv5re arrived today.  I verified this one worked (previous had a busted mic), and copied over the saved CHIRP download from the bad radio.  I verified I could make solid contact to the 4 nearest repeaters (monitored on my yaesu ft2900r), but that rubber duck is rather limited. To see how well simplex to my house was, I took my dogs for a walk, and tuned my mobile unit and HT to 146.520.  I instructed my 10 year old to listen, and note each of checkin I made.  Every couple blocks I would TX my callsign.  It was solid for over 2 miles, but when I descended 200ft down a hill, I lost it.

I'll probably invest in a better rubber duck, as well as keeping a portable J-pole for a get home bag, but it would take some skill to TX 10 miles if you didn't have some terrain advantage like being on a hill top.