Author Topic: Wolf River Vertical looks like great portable-base HF antenna  (Read 4112 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
This is a great looking antenna that looks well designed and capable of good performance for HF on the run. This easy to deploy 15 foot tall,fully tunable ,HF 80 - 6 meter, 300 watt capable antenna.With easy up ,easy down hardware just looks like a winner at only $120. I am not in position to gain from showing this ,except maybe someone will find it useful.

http://wolfrivercoils.com/products/sb_port-base-vert-antenna.php

The other item of interest is their coil for tuning a 10 meter whip mobile/portable antenna so as to cover 40 thru 10 meters at 500 watts, I use one of these ...and like it .

http://wolfrivercoils.com/products/mini_sb.php

I use an automatic tuner for most HF antennas ,but have found that a TUNED antenna is often more effective than an antenna that has been tuned. These coils can be used instead of an auto tuner for good results.

Need a wire antenna to cover HF for emergency or low profile restricted neighborhood...10 thru 80 meters at 600 watts? $45!!!  Cool deal .

http://wolfrivercoils.com/products/hv_wire.php

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Wolf River Vertical looks like great portable-base HF antenna
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
The wire antennal looks particularly attractive to me as I'll be picking up a 30ft+ pole on Saturday with base and ropes, etc., but the footprint of a dipole at that height might be too much for more than temporary use (i.e. I'd it put up for the weekend then take it down). A 20ft tunable wire might see more use, and I've just discovered that we've got lots of 80m activity around here, including both a provincial net that runs 7am to 6pm most days and an 80m ground wave emcomm net. Though I'll probably try some NVIS set ups, this would seem a workable solution and likely connect me to a greater number of local hams. I also need a better setup if I'm to consistently communicate with the AMRRON and TAPRN nets (I can hear NCS reasonably enough and they can get my check in, but little more) and would like to be set up and familiar with 80 by the time their nets switch to it in October.

BTW, in the meantime, it looks as though I'll try out the Alpha Delta DX EE, which is a relatively short (40ft)  40-10m dipole that's available locally and has good reviews on Eham.net: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1745. It may require a non-permanent modification to resonate with the 40m phone band, but is probably close to the optimal set up for my current location. The local dealer only carries the 80/40m version of the dipole recently discussed in the other thread so I think I'll stick with the Alpha Delta for now.

In short, my apologies for steering the thread in different directions again, but it's provided some interesting possibilities and food for thought.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »
Any discussion on antennas welcome,others benefit from our experience.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »
seems like a neat portable solution.  Given you physically can tune it to the intended band, mounting it in an accessible location seems pretty important.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »
seems like a neat portable solution.  Given you physically can tune it to the intended band, mounting it in an accessible location seems pretty important.

I don't have the wire based antenna...but use the 3/8 x 24  Wolf River coil made for a whip antenna and attach a 34 foot long wire to tune most bands when my auto is stationary and as a BONUS...it does GREAT for NVIS and ,did I mention WITHOUT AN ANTENNA TUNER...though the coil does require tuning adjustment ...I do the tuning by listening to band noise and moving the coil/slider for maximum noise and this is fast and close enough for most users though I do CHECK SWR with the internal meter on the radio.