Author Topic: antenna cable  (Read 2270 times)

Offline quiet-man

• Prepper
antenna cable
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
How does RG-8X compare to LMR400 cable? Setting up a 2M & Marine radio on my hill, about 100' away.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: antenna cable
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:29:31 AM »
I really dig 8x for it's low cost and relative ease of use....but in the higher bands (2m and Marine) the losses over 100' would prolly negate me using it.  I'm sure someone will be along with a chart or links to comparisons later (sorry, I'm not that guy) but you would notice quite a difference between the two-and it would not be pretty.

I'm a cheap guy by nature-and live in a 1 income family...8x has got me started, but just last year I bought a $79 2m/220 HT, then added a $29 Ed Fong J-pole (220) to the top of the barn.  I finished it off with a $65 section (<50') of Low Loss Coax Cable from the Wireman.  Of course I plan to get a base/mobile for 220 but till then the little Wouxun HT does fine into the repeater....and the Low Loss Coax makes all the difference!

SCW

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:02:22 AM »
100 feet of LMR 400 loss at 100 feet is 1.5 db @ 150 MHZ
100 feet of RG-8X loss at 100 feet is 4.2 db @ 150 MHZ

3 db represents  a loss of half of your power BOTH transmitting and receiving. While on FM the loss represents the minimum discernible change of signal...on VHF SSB (weak signal )  it can be all the difference in the world. For your marine radio you will NOT NOTICE A DIFFERENCE due to the way FM radios capture a signal and due to the line of sight properties of VHF.

SAVE YOUR MONEY. as you will not notice the difference. I hold the ARRL World Record for VHF over land communications, the record has held for over 15 years and I used a 13B2 (13 element beam) and 160 watts to complete my end of the contact.
The contact was from NW Louisiana to central Maine. I have used the RG8X ,even though it represents a loss of 3 db and have not seen significant difference. The same coax is STILL doing the job after almost 20 years in service.

SAVE your money as it will be no help for FM.

http://www.w4rp.com/ref/coax.html

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:26:33 PM »
I hold the ARRL World Record for VHF over land communications, the record has held for over 15 years and I used a 13B2 (13 element beam) and 160 watts to complete my end of the contact.
The contact was from NW Louisiana to central Maine. I have used the RG8X ,even though it represents a loss of 3 db and have not seen significant difference. The same coax is STILL doing the job after almost 20 years in service.

Wow, I salute that, Carl!  Congratulations!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »
Wow, I salute that, Carl!  Congratulations!

It was a scheduled attempt and some skill involved ...but mostly just a lucky day.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 10:07:41 AM »
Thread cleaned up.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »
Thread cleaned up.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Thanks TEX, I don't hold it against him,I was full of vinegar once and think I turned out OK.

And you even cleaned my HAM call too...how thoughtful. I don't usually post it ,but had to that time. again THANKS.