Author Topic: Yaesu customer service is pretty awesome  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Yaesu customer service is pretty awesome
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »
Apparently I blew out the main amp on my FT2900r and sent to back to Yaesu for warranty repair.

I was a little nervous as the warranty process was rather informal.  The instructions were to include a sales receipt (for warranty eligibility),  and a note describing the problem.
USPS tracking show they had received my radio, but I got no communication from Yaesu.

About 10 minutes ago I emailed the employee I'd first talked to inquiry, and he replied within 5 minutes explaining the radio was fixed and in transit, including tracking numbers and additional contact info if I have future trouble.

I admit, I've been conditioned to expect digital play-by-play updates for everything in my life.  I wrongly assumed a lack of news was bad news - but I was wrong.

Yaesu took care of me.  While I remain enamored with the idea of < $30 chinese radios that seem to function, I know deep down I'd never get this kind of white glove service from a low end chi-com company.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Yaesu customer service is pretty awesome
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »
Good to hear.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:09:38 PM »
Yaesu took care of me.
Pretty much sums up my experience when the main dial encoder went out on me last fall.  No trouble, no hassle, no questions.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 12:30:42 AM »
Yaesu customer service is pretty awesome

In the US it is. over here No...
its exactly the opposite. kenwood is the best, which is partly the reason 90% of HT are fom them.

Funny that with all the corporate regulation, the vendor plays a role still

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
Good to know, SH.  I have had good dealings with Kenwood, but maybe that's because they use my software in their radio, I don't know.  But then, Yaesu does, too, but I've never had to send one theirs back.

Have had one Yaesu rig, and one antenna rotator from them, and both worked well.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »
Good to know, SH.  I have had good dealings with Kenwood, but maybe that's because they use my software in their radio, I don't know.  But then, Yaesu does, too, but I've never had to send one theirs back.

Have had one Yaesu rig, and one antenna rotator from them, and both worked well.

Between us and our avatars, a part of me wonders if I possibly blew the mains somehow.  I built a few different antennas and a couple had high reflected watts before I tuned them.  I really doubt running at 5 or ever 10 watts for a few seconds should have mattered.  Maybe this is like dry firing rimfire.  Some people insist you'll immediately have a catastrophe, others do it routinely without consequence.

I really think a rugged unit like the FT2900R wouldn't be so delicate, but in any case I know to be more careful in the future.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it too much, Smurf.  I've accidentally keyed the mic on mine a couple of times with no antenna attached with no ill effects.  I tend to unhook the coax when I'm away, especially during summer thunderstorm season.  This kind of stuff's going to happen from time to time.  The 2900 seems robust against that, so I'm guessing it was another problem with your radio.