Author Topic: OPSEC concern for Home Security company?  (Read 2833 times)

d3nni5

OPSEC concern for Home Security company?
« on: May 15, 2014, 06:23:35 AM »

So this may be a stretch, but here is a story about a local business owner who has been convicted (he plead guilty) to tax evasion.  He ran (still runs?) one of the areas most used home security companies.   Yea, he is going to jail for at least three years according to the radio news.

http://wvmetronews.com/2014/05/09/morgantown-business-owner-pleads-guilty-to-income-tax-evasion/

I was thinking about using this company a few years ago, didn't sign up with anyone due to the costs.    However, would it set well with you if you found out the owner your home security provider  is a convicted felon?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: OPSEC concern for Home Security company?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:34:02 AM »
However, would it set well with you if you found out the owner your home security provider  is a convicted felon?

On one hand, this seems like a question with a trivially easy answer: NO.

But looking at it a little closer, this is over tax stuff.  Is the guy really a tax cheat, or is he just some average joe who got caught up in red tape and took a plea bargain to get out of the mess?  Impossible to tell from the article, but I'd say the latter is at least a strong possibility.

d3nni5

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:56:13 AM »
On one hand, this seems like a question with a trivially easy answer: NO.

But looking at it a little closer, this is over tax stuff.  Is the guy really a tax cheat, or is he just some average joe who got caught up in red tape and took a plea bargain to get out of the mess?  Impossible to tell from the article, but I'd say the latter is at least a strong possibility.

Yea, that is why I thought it may be a stretch.   He's not breaking into the homes he monitor's, but he is now a felon.  So, it is completely possible it isn't as bad as it looks, but here is another story...Sounds like he fudged his taxes for several years.    But it was 2005-2009, why did it take 5 years for him to be found out?  Is it just the speed at which the IRS works to find out these things?

http://www.statejournal.com/story/25476714/owner-of-morgantowns-secure-us-pleads-guilty-to-income-tax-evasion

The dishonesty would be enough for me to pull my services, but I'd doubt I'd be afraid of a break in from these circumstances.   But it does make you think, what else would this guy do?  You are in a line of business where integrity and honesty should be a premium attribute.  Many people rely on these types of services as a part of their protection.   I just got to wonder.....

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »
It's not paying "the right amount" of taxes.  If I refused to do business with everyone who fudged their taxes... I'd be arrested for refusing to do business with the IRS, and would fall into that category myself.

Personally, I view "the guy didn't pay the IRS what they say he owes" as as bad as "the guy downloaded some music files or videos".

I'm not going to go that rout because the IRS can ruin your life, but I wouldn't in any way be uncomfortable doing business with someone who had.

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »
Convicted felon yes, someone who would steal from a customer that his livelihood depended on, who knows, doesn't appear that's been his MO. . . . That's the problem with labels.