Author Topic: Question -- From what we had to deal with the other night  (Read 22149 times)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Question -- From what we had to deal with the other night
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »
Not sure about LPH or LMH. I think I had EPH's?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2014, 10:23:26 PM »
Got an email from one of my fellow volunteer firefighters who was also on that call. He and another two people went in there today in the daylight to see what the deal with communications was that night. He said, "Also we figured out why radio communication was not the best--there were ridges on all sides that blocked transmissions and noises. That is some of the most convoluted country I have seen around here. These were the worst conditions I have seen in 12 years.  I hope it is that long before we see conditions that bad again. "

Cedar

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2014, 07:18:32 AM »
Not sure about LPH or LMH. I think I had EPH's?

Thanx!

It just may be possible.

http://www.radioinfoboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=3391

With a few simple mods, a pair of LMH 5141's will make a front panel programmable frequency agile self tuning mobile or stationary repeater. 

~TG

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2014, 07:25:20 AM »
Thanx!

It just may be possible.

http://www.radioinfoboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=3391

With a few simple mods, a pair of LMH 5141's will make a front panel programmable frequency agile self tuning mobile or stationary repeater. 

~TG
\

My VHF repeater used a single radio and a Hallmark Christmas card...recorded audio...then re-transmitted by Voice Operated Relay (VOX feature on radio)  Build 23 years ago and still in use daily.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2014, 07:45:22 AM »
\

My VHF repeater used a single radio and a Hallmark Christmas card...recorded audio...then re-transmitted by Voice Operated Relay (VOX feature on radio)  Build 23 years ago and still in use daily.

Dedicated simplex repeaters like this are relatively inexpensive.  The modern generation ones even store the messages for on demand retrieval.   some even have mail boxes accessed by DTMF codes.  Simplex repeater like these are well under $100.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2014, 08:24:04 AM »
Dedicated simplex repeaters like this are relatively inexpensive.  The modern generation ones even store the messages for on demand retrieval.   some even have mail boxes accessed by DTMF codes.  Simplex repeater like these are well under $100.

But it is a SIMPLE/BUDGET answer to a tough question...a couple or single unit,places in a high location ,will cast 'radio light' in the shadows...We used this method to aide Search and Recovery efforts when the SHUTTLE CRASHED and also during Katrina Confusion.

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
  • Newbie TSP Forum member
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2014, 07:10:51 AM »
Since portable and crossband repeaters were mentioned, an article I saw this morning.  http://modernsurvivalonline.com/bucket-repeater

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2014, 07:22:04 AM »
Since portable and crossband repeaters were mentioned, an article I saw this morning.  http://modernsurvivalonline.com/bucket-repeater

Thank you cidyl.

Cedar