Author Topic: Black Friday - FT2900r $139 shipped after rebate  (Read 15709 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Black Friday - FT2900r $139 shipped after rebate
« on: November 27, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »
I got this same deal from HRO last June.  I did have a warranty claim when the mains blew out, but Yaesu took care of it within 10 days.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010078

Also lots of other brands and models on deeper discount. Basically anything over $100 seems to ship free.
There are slightly cheaper places if you scrap around, but Ham Radio Outlet is pretty top shelf customer care if you need it.

I'm tempted but the IC-718 on sale for $599 shipped, BUT I still need an antenna tuner, so the FT-450D is a wash price-wise as it includes an auto tuner, and people claim the DSP is better.

Anyhow, happy Thanksgiving. Eat and shop safely!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Black Friday - FT2900r $139 shipped after rebate
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »
You are a bad man.   I might need to get one or two.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 04:16:13 PM »
I'm tempted to get another one.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 08:19:05 PM »
Are these only for vehicles? Or can be used as a base inside the house?

Cedar

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:23:22 PM »
Want something to go on sale?  Have me buy one the week before! ;D

Put in a medium-big order to Old Grouch on Monday, and now I get the Black Friday sale email today.  Meh, can't complaint too much.  The prices were still good (warbelts for $12, etc.), and I'll get to play with my goodies tomorrow.

Back to ham, I've been burning up the air with my 2900 since last spring, hitting repeaters 40 miles away with the 75 watt setting.  That's not nothin' over these local pine flatlands, and I am very happy with my big heat sink with a little radio attached.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 08:31:28 PM »
They work great as a base, that's how I use mine.  They even come with two little feet for the front edge, so that it'll tilt up at a comfortable viewing angle when placed on a desk.

Like nearly all ham gear though, it does take some kind of 12V power supply.  It needs one that can deliver at least 15A.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 08:32:48 PM »
Or can be used as a base inside the house?

That's how I use mine, but you'll need a 12v battery or power supply.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:30:18 AM »
Purchased.   

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »

Cedar

I use mine as a base as well, though I plan to run some power connectors under my truck dashboard for temporary use with a magmount antenna.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »
I showed Z to see what he thought of it, but he ordered the  BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band Two Way Radio (I have had a UV-3R for a couple years now) for us and Christmas gifts. We will start with those, take our Ham class in February (he is going to take it with me).. and then go from there to see how carried away we want to get with it.

I wish I had all my grandfathers Ham stuff. It had all the tubes and all sorts of cool stuff.

Cedar

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
I showed Z to see what he thought of it, but he ordered the  BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band Two Way Radio (I have had a UV-3R for a couple years now) for us and Christmas gifts. We will start with those, take our Ham class in February (he is going to take it with me).. and then go from there to see how carried away we want to get with it.

I wish I had all my grandfathers Ham stuff. It had all the tubes and all sorts of cool stuff.

Cedar

You might want to start of with the Baofengs and then pick up one of these Yaesus when they go on sale again. If you're in a rural area the extra power of the Yaesu would allow you to hit distant repeaters or people on simplex that the handhelds wont' get. They'd both have their place in an emergency scenario.

While the radio is available in the US at an enviable price, it would also require a power supply or battery, antenna and coax (unless using a Slim Jim antenna with some coax already installed). The Slim Jim with coax could be had for about $30, but unless you've got any of those other accessories or if want to try a different antenna, you could easily hit $300 in expenditures before getting on the air.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
One more: Get the "Nifty" manual for it.  Makes programming sooooo much easier.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »
Z says the programing on the Baofengs is not hard, but boring and tedious.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »
You might want to start of with the Baofengs and then pick up one of these Yaesus when they go on sale again. If you're in a rural area the extra power of the Yaesu would allow you to hit distant repeaters or people on simplex that the handhelds wont' get. They'd both have their place in an emergency scenario.

I remember my grandfather's shack.. and I envision something just as cool one day. I used to have a Ham radio in my kitchen back in the 1980's. It had a 30' tower on it, and I lived on a 103M hill. I was getting Utah and all sorts of places

With my little Baofeng UV-3R, I can easily hear Eastern Oregon on Tuesday nights, and that is over and through three mountain ranges. The Cascades pass summit is at least 5,000 feet. I have been playing with that for 2 years.

I almost bought this two years ago, but I decided not to until I took my classes, got my ticket and talked to a bunch of ham guys/Elmers. I was going to take my classes two years ago, but my babysitter bailed on me.
http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lines/HF-6M-VHF-UHF/Yaesu-FT-857D.html?gclid=CIG27faKnsICFQiVfgodrLsAmA

Cedar

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »
Z says the programing on the Baofengs is not hard, but boring and tedious.
Oh man, I need all the help I can get with FT-2900's, and am hopeless when it comes to Baofengs.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 05:17:59 PM »
The ft2900r is the glock of mobile VHF radios.  Its easy to program, serviceable and is really good at doing what it was designed for.

I had mine before I had any HT.  I first used a $15 Tram magmount ground plane antenna stuck to a cookie sheet and made a simplex call to the Tacoma club president 20 miles away.

After that i was hooked. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »
The ft2900r is the glock of mobile VHF radios.  Its easy to program, serviceable and is really good at doing what it was designed for.
Agreed.  It also has all of the power you can reasonably use.  If you can't manage it with 75w, it's probably time to switch to HF.  At the same time, that 75w can make up for a multitude of sub-optimal antenna and weather situations.  Yaesu found a good balance with this one.

Also, that heat sink just plain looks badass.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 08:57:09 PM »
While the radio is available in the US at an enviable price, it would also require a power supply or battery, antenna and coax (unless using a Slim Jim antenna with some coax already installed). The Slim Jim with coax could be had for about $30, but unless you've got any of those other accessories or if want to try a different antenna, you could easily hit $300 in expenditures before getting on the air.

Yes, but at least you'll have an extremely high probability of getting on the air when you're a noobie just trying to figure stuff out for the first time.  I can't blast my way out past the surrounding hills and hit any of my repeaters with 5 watts, so a low power portable radio was a very frustrating and demoralizing way for me to start out.  It wasn't until I got the FT-2900, a power supply, and a N9TAX Slim Jim, all for around $250, that I managed to get on the air.  Some days I can do it with the power cranked down to 25 watts, some days I have to use 75.

I can't be the only one who wishes they'd started with a mobile unit first, that extra power can be critical.  With the 2900 you're getting a lot of bang for the buck, it's a sweet starting point for anyone getting into the hobby, and something you will continue to use for a long time.

With my little Baofeng UV-3R, I can easily hear Eastern Oregon on Tuesday nights, and that is over and through three mountain ranges. The Cascades pass summit is at least 5,000 feet. I have been playing with that for 2 years.

Receiving is one thing, but can you transmit back over those three ranges with a 5 watt handheld? 

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 07:05:04 AM »
  :'(

I had wished for the $109 FT-1900 for a man portable rig I'm wanting to build....BUT, if you don't have a 2m FM Base/Mobile....Buy the 2900 while it's on Sale!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »
Receiving is one thing, but can you transmit back over those three ranges with a 5 watt handheld?

Ummmm... errrr... yes. Quite well. They kept asking who else heard them, so I piped up. I have to hold down for 3-5 seconds before I say something to 'trigger the towers', otherwise I would cut myself off they told me, but yes they could hear me well. After I told them I did not have my ticket, that I would email them.. and I did. Got their emails off their club website, and they were surprised what rig I was using.

Cedar

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »
I can't be the only one who wishes they'd started with a mobile unit first, that extra power can be critical.  With the 2900 you're getting a lot of bang for the buck, it's a sweet starting point for anyone getting into the hobby, and something you will continue to use for a long time.

FL, I had a similar experience.  I kept proceeding in steps until things worked, like this:
(1) Get and program HT.  Zilch for results.  Argh!  What am I doing wrong?
(2) Upgrade from rubber duckie antenna.  OK, I can trigger two repeaters but still not talk out.
(3) Drive over nearer the repeaters (I was going there anyway).  OK, I can talk now.
(4) Put up a copper pipe slim jim on a 20' mast.  Can trigger more repeaters, barely talk through one.  (http://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/2-meter-slim-jim-antenna/ , btw)
(5) Buy 2900 and get on the air.  Usually it takes 10w, frequently 30, occasionally 75.

It was a frustrating path, but I don't think any money was wasted, just time.  There was a frustration factor at every step until that last one.  The worst part was "OK, I'll take this the next step, and if THAT doesn't work..."  By the time I'd gotten to the 2900, I was almost out of next steps.  If you're plugged in with some local hams, you can short-cut all of this by having them come by one Saturday and try out a bunch of stuff to see what's the minimum that will work for your location.

So in the end, I wound up with a Baofeng that I seldom use, a good HT (FT-60) that I sometimes use, and a base I use all the time.  But it is good to have at least one HT, and at $35 everybody needs a Baofeng laying around.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 01:19:05 PM »

I recently got one of the 35AH harbor freight batteries on deep discount.  It's  $55 out the door which is a lot less than most power supplies.  If you already have aome 12volt seep cycle batteries and a good charger that solves the power needs.

I built my own copper pipe jpole antenna for about $15 from parts at Lowes.  An elmer donated a 15amp power supply and I bought a few ampherol pl259 rg8x coax cables from ebay.

Def. Doable to be on the air < $200 total with this deal.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
I ordered the unit, but would love more details on cheap way to get it power and antenas

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
I ordered the unit, but would love more details on cheap way to get it power and antenas

Mama

If you shop amazon this is a solid magnetic mount that Catl recommend.  When not used in a vehicle i stick to a steel cookie sheet.

Tram 1185 Amateur Dual-Band Magnet Antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045EQUBK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_umJEub02RD08B

As a bonus you can use that antenna with one of the chinese baofengs if you buy a pigtail like this:

DHT Handheld Antenna Cable for Wouxun Baofeng Quasheng Linton - Adapter for UHF Base and Mobile Antennas - SMA Female to UHF SO-239 Female Connectors 6'' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COKNKS8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zpJEub07RD7NX

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 02:20:17 PM »
looks good. I may have to bookmark that and wait and ask a couple of the local ham guys, as I just was remembering the talk M. was giving at the CERT meeting about our repeater towers -- so, I need to know if something short will see the tower he just bought and is refurbishing. His tower is not too far from here, uphill with TONS of tall trees, maybe 3/4 mile and 400 ft elevation change to base of the tower, the next closest tower is downhill of here, but in the watershed ravine, so not seen from here I am told. And the next downhill is seen from here as it is also on this ridgeline, but is being lost, it has to be taken down by request of property owner.

My house is pretty tall, so something inexpensive on it and something for the car is likely what is needed.

What is the design of the one you built for your house with hardware store supplies ?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 02:39:15 PM »
I occasionally use the Tram on my truck with my baofeng uv5r.  Reliably hits repeaters 15 to 20 miles away through rugged cascad foothill terrain.

That said the 2 meter tuned jpole is WAY better letting me reach 45 miles on watts.

This is the plan i followed but there are numerous examples.

Also Carl has a cheaper design using PVC pipe called the "Big stick".

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
  Also Carl has a cheaper design using PVC pipe called the "Big stick".

Here's a thread with an easy DIY roll-up antenna you can make for very little.  Links to Carl's big stick are toward the bottom of the thread:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=50529.0

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 02:33:02 AM »
Ummmm... errrr... yes. Quite well. They kept asking who else heard them, so I piped up. I have to hold down for 3-5 seconds before I say something to 'trigger the towers', otherwise I would cut myself off they told me, but yes they could hear me well. After I told them I did not have my ticket, that I would email them.. and I did. Got their emails off their club website, and they were surprised what rig I was using.

That would be surprising, alright, especially since the UV-3R is only 2 watts.  Wonder if there was some kind of rare propagation phenomena involved, like a weird short-skip sporadic-e opening on 2 meters?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 03:26:07 AM »
That would be surprising, alright, especially since the UV-3R is only 2 watts.  Wonder if there was some kind of rare propagation phenomena involved, like a weird short-skip sporadic-e opening on 2 meters?

The guys I was talking to was the president, and one other guy from http://www.hidarg.org/Nets.html They talk every Tuesday at 7pm. The other guy was further over to the east than Bend. I will have to check my emails from them tomorrow [currently downstairs on my cellphone] to see where he was. I want to say Heppner. The band was/is 146.700.

I have also heard two guys in Portland, and talked to them for a second. They were in vehicles heading to Salem and one guy was giving driving directions the other guy couldn't hear, so I relayed to him.

I now try not to listen to the radio until I have my ticket.

Until February, the rest of the stuff you said, I have no clue what it meàns.

Cedar

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2014, 06:38:04 AM »

Until February, the rest of the stuff you said, I have no clue what it meàns.

they refer to unusual propagation conditions that sometimes allow VHF signals to make it further than they "should". You will see them mentioned in passing in studying for your tech.