Author Topic: Black Friday - FT2900r $139 shipped after rebate  (Read 16803 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Black Friday - FT2900r $139 shipped after rebate
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2014, 06:58:33 AM »
they refer to unusual propagation conditions that sometimes allow VHF signals to make it further than they "should". You will see them mentioned in passing in studying for your tech.

Here's a realtime map of these unusual VHF propagation conditions in the US:
http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us

Outside of those colorful parts, you're pretty much limited by the radio horizon calculation:
total range = square root (2 X your antenna height) + square root (2 X other antenna height)
where the range comes out in miles, and antenna heights are in feet above average terrain.  Actual results will vary, especially in mountains, but it's a quick way to get a rough answer.

This assumes you have enough power.  Those calculations get pretty involved though, leave that for another time.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
Here's a realtime map of these unusual VHF propagation conditions in the US:
http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us

That's a cool site.  Looks like Cedar's area is active right now, too, with the ability to maybe reach out 300 miles, or so.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2014, 06:26:45 PM »
Very cool site Alan...

So I was talking between 179-213 miles to that Ham group. I just checked my email and one does live in Bend, the other I could not find his location. And he did say, "Hi Cedar, We appreciate you checking in to the net.  Technically, as you know, you should've waited until you had an assigned call, but I don't think anyone is going to get upset over that.  That said, congratulations on attempting to get your license and we will expect you to check in to the Tuesday night net when you have your callsign - if only so that we can get your actual call. FYI, because of all of the repeaters between here and there, remember to key up and wait 3 to 4 seconds before you start to talk.  That allows all of the repeaters to come up so that we can hear everything you say like your call and name and so on."

And I do apologize for putting this convo here and not in some other thread. One comment kinda lead to another.

Cedar

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
And I do apologize for putting this convo here and not in some other thread. One comment kinda lead to another.

Cedar

No worries.  I'm thrilled that a simple "found a good deal" thread digressed into a learning opportunity  ;D

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 12:02:26 AM »
FYI, because of all of the repeaters between here and there, remember to key up and wait 3 to 4 seconds before you start to talk.  That allows all of the repeaters to come up so that we can hear everything you say like your call and name and so on."

Doh, a linked repeater network!  I'm such a moron.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 02:59:03 AM »
Doh, a linked repeater network!  I'm such a moron.

Not all of them are like that I take it? Because the ones in my area, I just presumed all of within a certain distance were like this.

Cedar

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »
Not all of them are like that I take it? Because the ones in my area, I just presumed all of within a certain distance were like this.

Nope.

I assumed an unlicensed person wouldn't be transmitting, and if they were, that it would be simplex, since they wouldn't know how to program the radio to use a repeater. I wasn't considering that you had a radio setup for the repeaters in your area, much less that you are so close to a repeater that is linked to multiple other repeaters, allowing you hundreds of miles of coverage with a puny handheld.

I've never transmitted through more than one repeater and am not really sure how common multiple repeater networks are in other parts of the country, though I suspect they're the exception, rather than the rule. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 11:57:22 AM »
and am not really sure how common multiple repeater networks are in other parts of the country, though I suspect they're the exception, rather than the rule.

Maybe because we are so mountainous here? Like the tallest point in the Cascades/Oregon is 12,000ft above sea level and we have alot of valleys and ravines we live in. When I was using a base station back in the 1980's, I was getting Utah from Wilsonville, Oregon on a hill which was 300ft with a 30 ft antenna on probably not a great base station. I just thought it was a CB at the time, as it looked like one and my grandfather had this sort of setup, but with ever bigger 'boxes', tubes, oscilloscopes (maybe that is what they were)...

... so I believed the person who gave me that system who said that it was 'a little super duper CB'. After all, it didn't look like my grandfathers rigs. So I highly doubted the Kenwood "CB" I had in the kitchen was a ham radio ::)

So now I am really curious how far I can talk when I get a good rig and my license, if I am getting that far with a $30 radio. (And Z is taking the class/test with me!)

Cedar

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 10:34:01 PM »
Cedar, just be careful... the FCC has a habit of issuing big fines, and equipment confiscation, even for those who *are* licensed but fail to ID themselves properly. I don't want to know what they might do if someone was unlicensed. Of course, someone would probably have to complain about it, but you never know who is listening, and if one is using a repeater, more so a linked network of repeaters, many ears are listening. The FCC does rely on volunteer hams to monitor the airwaves and report activity that is not according to the rules, or common ham operator courtesy.

It does happen, all one has to do is listen to the AR Newsline reports http://www.arnewsline.org/ or read the reports in QST.

Will it happen? Who knows, but I'm not interested in finding out.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »
Will it happen? Who knows, but I'm not interested in finding out.

Me either. Which is why I did it twice for less than 20 seconds each time. And getting my license.

Cedar

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 09:56:48 AM »
nice thread for linked repeaters:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/677809_Statewide_regional_2m_and_70cm_Repeater_Networks___Good_info_for_new_hams_.html

Didn't FoTime have an Episode with a guy from the SF Bay Area that had linked repeaters?  I forget his name, but he seemed pretty sharp.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
Yes, George Z, from Episode 10
http://amateurradio15.com/10/

here is his clubs site (SF Bay-net linked system)
http://www.bay-net.org/index.html

George is coming back on to do an entire series about EMCOMM boxes with Jeremy, Gerald and I (gonna be a fun New Year!) :)