Author Topic: a word on the baofeng uv-5r  (Read 1207 times)

Offline NR5P

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
a word on the baofeng uv-5r
« on: December 24, 2014, 06:21:21 AM »
I used to be skeptical on these Chinese Hts. However I just got a baofeng uv-5r and this thing is great. I'm highly impressed. It feels like a much more durable plastic than my yaesu vx3r. With all the accessories like a drop in charger what a deal for $30 shipped! Definately a great ht.

Only bad thing is I'm not sure if there is programmable band edge scanning? Im going to program it tonight with the chirp software and find out. That's my only complaint if it's not possible, and the fact it's a reverse sma connector so I need a new antenna when I upgrade it (which will be soon).

I just don't see how it's possible to build something like this for such a cheap price. Truly amazing. Even if it's built with slave labor (I hope not) just the price of materials and energy to run the machinery then ship it from China.... Then to top it off there is a profit in there. Amazing times.

I'll never buy another Japanese ht. I dont have to worry about this getting broken. If only someone would build new firmware. I'd like to change the menu a bit and the way memories are programmed but I say the same about all the Hts.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: a word on the baofeng uv-5r
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 06:57:45 AM »
I don't VFO scan these days but I do not think the scan-stops are available on the UV5R radios.
The reverse SMA is EASY to cure...a SMA Barrel allows 'normal' SMA antennas to be used...see link:

http://www.amazon.com/SMA-Female-Coupler-Joiner/dp/B0025W3Q84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419429144&sr=8-1&keywords=sma+barrel

Though image rejection and adjacent channel rejection is not on par with many more costly radios , I also am impressed with the UV5R and prefer the feel in hand of the UV82 handy radio with commercial FM and flashlight (what? , No can opener?)