Author Topic: Fruit and black locust tree planting ??  (Read 1136 times)

Offline jaseemtp

• Survivor
Fruit and black locust tree planting ??
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »
OK!
Well in the fall I made a hugle bed slightly off contour but it is on a small slope so it should still catch rain water.  This bed will be for plating black berries in the spring.  Well since I have spring fever I started to think of what else I could plant in that area. 
I was looking at some fruit trees but not sure how far to plant them from the hugle bed.  So what I was thinking is to maximize the use of the area.  So plant a say 3 trees with lavender under them.  The plant a normal vegetable crop between the trees and the black berry bed.  Then another vegetable bed and then another few trees. 
What would or should the spacing be?  I will need to be able to get in and pick berries, veggies, and fruit if I am lucky.  Thanks for any feed back.
I was not sure to put this question here or in the permaculture section.
Ohh I was also thinking of planting a few black locust on the outer edge or may some mimosa trees.
Jason
JCshoneybees.com

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Fruit and black locust tree planting ??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »
You ask a great question, but I would guess that more details are needed.  My first thought is:
What is the slop or drop away from the bed?
 Is it an inground bed or on the surface? 
Is there a swale? How deep?
What is your soil type?
There is probably a series of questions on rain fall averages and surge?
Dwarf or full sized trees also enter into the question?

I am practicing more of the give the area a year or more to incorporate the Hugle beds before they get planted out.  This will allow the new balance to be set before the plants start to use it. 

As far as trees go I am keeping the Hugle bed out of the canopy.  But my Hugle beds are on what is close to flat but can be swampy in the wet season.  Research the trees you are planting and building Guilds is the best advice I am getting.