Author Topic: U-r-in the money now...  (Read 2914 times)

Offline 2Caffeinated

• Survivor
U-r-in the money now...
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
Has anyone ever used pee (urine) for fertilizer?  I found an article here: http://www.ehow.com/how_4701584_use-urine-as-fertilizer.html

Save money and the wife can't yell at you for peeing on the plants!

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
    • Gardening and critter raising in the backyard.
Re: U-r-in the money now...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »
I had a rat digging up my spouting green beans yesterday, so I peed all around the perimeter thinking it may dissuade him.  I haven't seen him since, but maybe he's just full already.   ;D

Offline GlenM

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:20:18 PM »
I want to hear results before I start adding urine in my garden.

It's going to be tough convincing my wife that I'm fertilizing the garden and not being lazy.

Offline remote

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »
My wife's grandmother told me that's what they did in their outbuildings and sheds to keep the rats away. 
I presume that she meant that *her husband* did that because I can't picture her, even as a young lady, doing that :-\

I had a rat digging up my spouting green beans yesterday, so I peed all around the perimeter thinking it may dissuade him.  I haven't seen him since, but maybe he's just full already.   ;D

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
    • Gardening and critter raising in the backyard.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 07:19:10 AM »
My wife's grandmother told me that's what they did in their outbuildings and sheds to keep the rats away. 
I presume that she meant that *her husband* did that because I can't picture her, even as a young lady, doing that :-\

Reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy talking about taking his whole clan to Hawaii.  They were having peeing for distance contests off of the balcony.  His Aunt Rose won.   ;D

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:04:05 PM »
Unless you have an infection it is sterile.  I know this guy that takes a leak on the compost pile every now and then.

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »
Unless you have an infection it is sterile.  I know this guy that takes a leak on the compost pile every now and then.

So when we pee in the yard were just helping out! Gotcha! My wife is going to love to hear this.....

Offline 2Caffeinated

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »
From what I've read urine is extremely high in nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.  Sounds a lot like fertilizer.  It is so strong in fact, that you need to dilute it 8:1 or 10:1 with water.  No pissing directly on the plants, just do it in the watering can ;).  I suggest telling the wife, but you may life more on the edge than I.  Also it need to be used within 24 hours or it starts to break down into ammonia.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »
From what I've read urine is extremely high in nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.  Sounds a lot like fertilizer.  It is so strong in fact, that you need to dilute it 8:1 or 10:1 with water.  No pissing directly on the plants, just do it in the watering can ;).  I suggest telling the wife, but you may life more on the edge than I.  Also it need to be used within 24 hours or it starts to break down into ammonia.

Phosphorus was actually discovered in urine by Hennig Brand, an alchemist.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »
Hmm, we've got a few different threads on urine..
Here's one for a book I read on using urine.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=5880.0

Offline 2Caffeinated

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »
Thanks for the link to the other thread.  I've been secretly experimenting on one of my garden boxes.  I love being a guy!

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »
I want to hear results before I start adding urine in my garden.

It's going to be tough convincing my wife that I'm fertilizing the garden and not being lazy.

I go out on slug patrol in the evening after dark.  Sometimes I stop by the compost pile just to check things out...