Author Topic: Your Identy and Ham Licensing  (Read 15564 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Your Identy and Ham Licensing
« on: January 19, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »
I often ignore the rustle of tin foil when I hear of some one using the THEY'LL FIND ME if I get a Ham License argument.

Yes,you do have to put your name and address to get a license...
How the hell could they mail it to you without an address?

But the MAN will listen in to what I say...
Ham radio is SELF POLICING with OO ( Official Observers, aka Ham volunteers)and the only time THE MAN is involved is during serious infractions, usually involving intentional interference with LEO's or FIRE/EMS personnel...Why would YOU do that?

But I will just use the radio without a license when an emergency happens...
Without much practice and knowledge of how radio works,the likelihood that anyone hears you is very slim. You need skills to take advantage of the radio spectrum that was given to Hams because it was thought unusable. It takes a lot of practice to develop these skills of operating radios and how nature itself can be used in our favor.

Sure ,you might get lucky,but any facet of preparedness deserves study and understanding,and PRACTICE. PLUS ,with that practice comes community and knowing who is often at the other end to come to your aide, or for you foil hatters ...FINISH YOU OFF,and take your stuff.

Once you get your license...you are not stuck on 5 MURS,7 FRS,or 40 CB channels...you have HUNDREDS OF TIMES THE SPACE TO SPREAD OUT AND EXPERIMENT! and not just a half watt,or two watts,or 4 watts...BUT 1500 WATTS ,IF NEEDED

And you can put up ,and experiment with all forms of antenna and modes of operation,your MIND is about your only limiting factor.

Any questions on why you should become a Ham?

Comments welcome.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Your Identy and Ham Licensing
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 09:18:23 AM »
Working on it.

Cedar

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:10:33 AM »
There are 2 elements to the privacy question:

1) "the man"
2) random listeners

Most of us with a clue know that when "the man" wants to know or do something, it generally happens.  If you are suspected as being an ISIS sleeper cell, changing your email password and using HTTPS probably makes little difference.  So this is a moot argument to me.

For strangers listening to your TX, one common practice is to use a PO Box for your mailing addres.  Also, every NET checkin or other QSO I've made only asks for first name and general location.  I'm pretty sure nicknames are appropriate, as long as you aren't being deceitful.   Lastly know that any callsign can be looked up on QRZ.com and other sites.  So that's one reason many of us are cautious to share our callsigns on forums like TSP.

My rule of thumb - I only use my callsign where I'd be comfortable using my full given name.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:14:55 AM »
For strangers listening to your TX, one common practice is to use a PO Box for your mailing address

This is what I will be doing. And I have made it a practice for many a year, not to have that PO box in the town I live in.

Also, every NET checkin or other QSO I've made only asks for first name and general location. 

This is what I am hearing.

I'm pretty sure nicknames are appropriate, as long as you aren't being deceitful.   Lastly know that any callsign can be looked up on QRZ.com and other sites.  So that's one reason many of us are cautious to share our callsigns on forums like TSP.

Why I won't broadcast mine on a forum when I get it. And why although I would LOVE to use my nickname, I won't.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 10:50:15 AM »
Which is why ,when we do our CQ TSP on the air , we are Hams and don't go into much detail besides antenna testing and general BS .The MAN is not much an issue ,though often used...But I must add that their is little likelihood of what you would call a criminal element on Ham radio. We KNOW who we are and share more in the chat room than in the open...most people would quickly tire of hearing use talk antennas , but is is more important that we learn to deal with tough conditions and learn what will work BEFORE we need to use those skills.

CEDAR , I have a program that sends and receives Morse Code at 16,000 letters per minute...who could deal with that ? and it is an accepted mode ,but technical enough to say it is encrypted. Also PSK transmits typed text on a 31 hertz wide rf signal that any casual listener would only call NOISE. Their are many ways to hide in the open.I personally am not concerned with people knowing who I am...I set a world record and only those I tell know of it...I do understand those who prefer to not stand in the light at the same time though and that is why Ham calls are rarely seen , till I told Chad how to email me the other day...but I think that was to his benefit...I don't often raise my head too high as to draw fire.

I started this thread to not be critical,but inform others of BOTH SIDES of the actual (rather than imaginary) possibilities of getting a Ham license. And maybe learn a bit myself.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
CEDAR , I have a program that sends and receives Morse Code at 16,000 letters per minute...who could deal with that ?

Holy cats!!!
The fastest I can currently hear is 14 wpm, but I cannot translate at that speed. At 27-30 wpm it is a blur to me currently. Only a computer would be able to do 16,000 letters per minute. It would sound like a single static noise methinks.

I started this thread to not be critical,but inform others of BOTH SIDES of the actual (rather than imaginary) possibilities of getting a Ham license. And maybe learn a bit myself.

Once I was an accidental pirate for 2 years, until I learned my 'super duper CB', was not a CB. So I am getting my license, to hang with the 'in crowd' and learn. I already know where the local guys hang out at, and I do plan on going to some of the meetings.

Cedar

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 02:16:35 PM »
I've had my license since 1993, but I admit that I haven't used it in years.  I just can't afford the equipment.  Not a privacy issue for me.  Just that the equipment I can afford is pretty much crap and a bear to program, so I end up just not.

I won't put my call sign on a license plate, though.  Too easy for random non-hams to look up, and I don't want to get a PO box just for that one thing.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »
I just can't afford the equipment.

I am into it for $30, +$15 for my class and test. Will I get bigger, 'badder' equipment? Who knows.. but I am currently happy with the $30 Baofeng at the moment.

Cedar

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 02:55:44 PM »
I am into it for $30, +$15 for my class and test. Will I get bigger, 'badder' equipment? Who knows.. but I am currently happy with the $30 Baofeng at the moment.

Cedar

I have the same thing, but I can't get mine programmed, and I've researched the &%$# out of it.  I'm still not sure if it's me or the radio, but I'm waiting until money is a little more loose to worry about replacing it.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 03:17:11 PM »
I have the same thing, but I can't get mine programmed, and I've researched the &%$# out of it.  I'm still not sure if it's me or the radio, but I'm waiting until money is a little more loose to worry about replacing it.

http://www.qsl.net/na4it/baofeng/Baofeng%20Manual%20Programming.pdf

China man does not organize thought like we do ,here is best way without $7 USB cable

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »
I'll get around to trying again, but right now I can only look at it with disdain for its prior mocking of me.

Thanks for the link, by the way.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »
I'll get around to trying again, but right now I can only look at it with disdain for its prior mocking of me.

Thanks for the link, by the way.

My first one took 3 days to program by hand. PC is the way to go ,though some people do it with ease.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 03:53:24 PM »
My first one took 3 days to program by hand. PC is the way to go ,though some people do it with ease.

Trying to program it via PC is what caused it to be banished to under he coffee table in the first place.

Offline lettuceman

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 03:58:41 PM »
I had the same experience with my Baofengs. I've put them aside before i used a large hammer.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 03:59:23 PM »
I had the same experience with my Baofengs. I've put them aside before i used a large hammer.

Ooh, hadn't thought of that!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »
Trying to program it via PC is what caused it to be banished to under he coffee table in the first place.

This site below and FREE CHIRP software fixed it for me.

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »
OMGosh you guys.. I am like totally inept with 'high tech gadgets', (Z rolls his eyes at me like  :o ) which is why I stay with low tech stuff.. and even I was able to program it to at least three repeaters/frequencies. Forget the computer. Set the blue button with the > to the top number area.. and punch in the 6 numbers you need for your local-ish repeater or whatever on the pad.. and within seconds I was listening on mine. After a month I put in a second frequency and when it is monsooning another day, I might even go gangbusters with it and set everything in there.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »
OMGosh you guys.. I am like totally inept with 'high tech gadgets', (Z rolls his eyes at me like  :o ) which is why I stay with low tech stuff.. and even I was able to program it to at least three repeaters/frequencies. Forget the computer. Set the blue button with the > to the top number area.. and punch in the 6 numbers you need for your local-ish repeater or whatever on the pad.. and within seconds I was listening on mine. After a month I put in a second frequency and when it is monsooning another day, I might even go gangbusters with it and set everything in there.

Cedar

:jaw-drop:  We've created a monster.....

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »
It's not connecting with the programming software, and I've tried two different cables.  I think it's an issue with the radio itself, and I'm too busy/stressed right now to deal with it.

I'm sure I'll try again in a couple of months.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 04:16:54 PM »
It's not connecting with the programming software, and I've tried two different cables.  I think it's an issue with the radio itself, and I'm too busy/stressed right now to deal with it.

I'm sure I'll try again in a couple of months.

The plug that plugs into the radio often takes more than average to fully seat and the radio MUST BE ON to connect.
Did you PC recognize the USB dohickey?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 04:19:05 PM »
I hated CHIRP too.. or vice versa, which is why I gave up on it after I tried it with the Baofeng UV-3R. So I went to the Baofeng UV-5R, and will somedday deal with the Baofeng UV-3R and stick it in my truck BOB.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 04:22:59 PM »
I hated CHIRP too.. or vice versa, which is why I gave up on it after I tried it with the Baofeng UV-3R. So I went to the Baofeng UV-5R, and will somedday deal with the Baofeng UV-3R and stick it in my truck BOB.

Cedar

The take-over of the machines has begun....

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 04:32:15 PM »
The plug that plugs into the radio often takes more than average to fully seat and the radio MUST BE ON to connect.
Did you PC recognize the USB dohickey?

I don't even remember anymore.  It was several months ago.  But I do remember making sure it was properly seated because I knew that was an issue.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »
PO Box is in my future for the limited privacy enhancement.  I do not regret my license one bit.  Its been cool.  Youtube is your friend on the Baofengs.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
PO Box is in my future for the limited privacy enhancement.  I do not regret my license one bit.  Its been cool.  Youtube is your friend on the Baofengs.

I can't believe I didn't think of Youtube.  I use it all the time for pretty much everything else.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 06:24:20 PM »
I can't believe I didn't think of Youtube.  I use it all the time for pretty much everything else.

Dudette!!!! I sent you the YouTube link like 5 PM's ago LOL

Cedar

Offline JustinBoots

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 06:34:26 PM »
Miklor.com is great for help with the baofeng radios.   You may have to trim the cable end that goes into the radio for it to properly seat.  I have had issues in the past with CHIRP, but can program either with the factory software or CHIRP off the computer.  Getting a local ham to email you an image off of their software can be helpful in letting you know what repeaters are in the area and also save a lot of time doing research on what is in your area.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
How did I miss it???

Oh yeah, ranting about family on my part.

Sorry! :facepalm:

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »

Cedar

Cedar
The take-over of the machines has begun....

I think your right Carl.... skynet has become self- aware...

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »
I think that with a little common sense, there's little to be worried about with regards to getting an amateur radio license.

As Carl stated earlier, it's not going to be easy for the person who gets a bunch of gear and doesn't use it until an emergency, and while people can get the equipment and simply listen with it, even that involves enough investment of time and money to figure out that it won't be the favoured means by the criminal element to track down potential victims. Especially on HF, they'd be listening to people all around the country and the world and need to familiarize themselves with call signs just to figure out who's local enough pay more attention to. And for the most part all that would do for them is to connect a name with an address. Even on VHF/UHF, unless someone's bragging about how their radio's mounted within a highly desirable sports car, luxury vehicle or truck, it doesn't give the criminal elements much to go by. As indicated earlier, the state could more carefully track and monitor anyone who draws there attention, and being on ham radio hardly plays into that unless the licensee is saying some really unusual things over the airways.

Sure, if some hams decided to host a regularly scheduled net to talk about all of the firearms they own or plan for the stockpiling of huge amounts of expensive supplies, that could possibly pose real opsec concerns at some point down the road. Perhaps even emphatically sharing some odd political or religious views might draw some unwanted attention, but most thoughtful people can easily enough decide what they'd be comfortable sharing over the airways.

I've read that ham radio transmissions were prohibited in the United States while it was involved in World War Two, and that the Communists temporarily confiscated the radio crystals of Poland's ham radio operators during the brief period of martial law at the beginning of the 1980s, but I don't foresee the practicality or likelihood of the latter happening in the US anytime soon. Even regarding the prohibition on broadcasts during WW2, there were maybe one or two hundred thousand hams back then and the gear was truly cutting technology for the time, so I suspect that even a repeat of such a ban would have trouble passing challenges against it on constitutional grounds. In any event, I wouldn't let that hold me back from the hobby anymore than I'd get out of anything that's legal now just because a government might potentially try to ban it in the future.