Author Topic: Your Identy and Ham Licensing  (Read 15556 times)

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Your Identy and Ham Licensing
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 08:18:55 PM »
It's not connecting with the programming software, and I've tried two different cables.  I think it's an issue with the radio itself, and I'm too busy/stressed right now to deal with it.

I'm sure I'll try again in a couple of months.

put it in a flat rate box and ship it to me, we'll chat from there and get you programmed up. you can find my address in QRZ and if you listen to the first 30 seconds of my podcast, you'll have my Call.

*Carl, if they're reading this thread, they're already on all the list* LOL

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »
put it in a flat rate box and ship it to me, we'll chat from there and get you programmed up. you can find my address in QRZ and if you listen to the first 30 seconds of my podcast, you'll have my Call.

*Carl, if they're reading this thread, they're already on all the list* LOL

I definitely appreciate the offer, but I'm probably just going to wait a month for my tax refund and drive over to AES for something a little better.  If I'm going to get back into it, I might as well do it right and get an HT that I love.

I want to talk to them about scanners anyway, so two birds with one stone.

Thanks again!

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 09:01:47 PM »
I definitely appreciate the offer, but I'm probably just going to wait a month for my tax refund and drive over to AES for something a little better.  If I'm going to get back into it, I might as well do it right and get an HT that I love.

I want to talk to them about scanners anyway, so two birds with one stone.

Thanks again!

While I can't fault you for looking at other radios... have you looked into local radio clubs in your area? I'm sure they have the means to program it for you, and could help you test it as well. They would also have all the interesting local frequencies, such as local repeaters, emergency services, etc. I know the local LDS ECS group here has meetings several times a year for the express purpose of getting people radios up and running.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 09:10:43 PM »
While I can't fault you for looking at other radios... have you looked into local radio clubs in your area? I'm sure they have the means to program it for you, and could help you test it as well. They would also have all the interesting local frequencies, such as local repeaters, emergency services, etc. I know the local LDS ECS group here has meetings several times a year for the express purpose of getting people radios up and running.

We actually have quite a few out here, even a women's ham club, and my ex father-in-law has been a ham for about 60 years.  But I'm thinking I want a nicer one anyway, so I'd probably only use it as a backup sometime down the road anyway.

I've got bigger fish to fry right now (school and my boss out sick longer than I was planning) so I'm stalling long enough to at least get something better.  I'm not even sure the one I have is working properly, which seems to be a known issue with a lot of them.  I'm not willing to waste much time on it since I'll most likely be getting something else pretty soon.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
Rita,

Not to make you feel bad, but I gave one of my uv5r to my 10 year old.  I told him he cannot TX until he gets his tech license.  He added some non-ham commercial channels that the public schools use.  He found a youtube video and just copied what he watched.  I really hope he doesn't TX on those!

Cedar,

I probably have more spent on accessories and tools than radios.  Just yesterday I was tuning a mobile antenna on 10 meters with a "pay it forward" 25 year old RadioShack transceiver.  While I was trying to get an SWR reading I heard a DX from Santiago Chile.  I personally got through to stations in Anchorage, AK, San Antonio, TX and someplace in Alabama.  That was with just over 10 watts and a $10 CB antenna.  Imagine if I was willing to spend more money AND knew what the $#@! I was doing!!!

Sure, I would have more success SOONER with a full featured HF rig, but I'm up and running for little cash.  Sure I took a lot of spare time messing around, but that was a practical education.

The VHF/UHF game is even cheaper.  If you have good repeaters nearby the walkies can work fine, but for under $150 you can get a VERY powerful mobile rig that's considerably tougher and easier to use compared to the chinese handhelds. 

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 08:36:20 PM »
Rita,

Not to make you feel bad, but I gave one of my uv5r to my 10 year old.  I told him he cannot TX until he gets his tech license.  He added some non-ham commercial channels that the public schools use.  He found a youtube video and just copied what he watched.  I really hope he doesn't TX on those!

No, I honestly think I got a bad one.  It's a known issue that a lot of them are just outright defective.  That's why I don't want to waste anymore time on it.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2015, 08:47:23 AM »
It took me two returns to amazon before I got a mic that worked.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 09:02:31 AM »
It took me two returns to amazon before I got a mic that worked.

Chinese Business ethics are not to our expectations ..This is why I rarely buy from China...FULFILLED BY AMAZON is the best way to go,for my buying.

Offline helix2301

• Survivor
  • techgeek and ham radio operator
    • The Technology Geek Podcast
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »
I got my ham license about 2 years ago its what got me into prepping and survivalism.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 09:50:51 AM »
I got my ham license about 2 years ago its what got me into prepping and survivalism.

I think you recognized the importance of communications and community and that was your first step towards independence.

Offline dpreppers

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »
I've been trying to find the time to get my license as well.  One of my teachers years ago was an avid ham and got me interested in the hobby, but the Morse requirement on the test turned me off back then.   Really need to get re-motivated to start studying again...
CHIRP was the way to go for programming my UV-82.  So far for at least without TX the UV-82 seems decent. 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:47 AM »

I'm quickly noticing that ham is a casual and non-threatening way to bring up prepping. 

When someone holds a ham license you immediately know a few things about them:

1) they have some initiative
2) they enjoy learning
3) they value independence

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
  • Newbie TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2015, 01:10:19 PM »
I'll offer an opposing view.  Suppose this is tinfoil hat nonsense to some, but then a ham radio subforum might not be a venue where you can get an impartial review of the merits for or against it anyway.   If you've already decided and committed yourself to providing EMCOMM in any SHTF/EOTW event that may happen then you really don't have a choice but to get the license, but if your comm goals are strictly prepper/survival oriented then I can think of some scenarios where it's not a good idea...

1) War.  Command, control, and communications sites are primary targets in every military conflict, each side wants to enhance their C3 capabilities and deny it to the other side.  Known, fixed, transmitter sites are probably the worst places to live during a military conflict, no matter which side you're on.

2) An imposed communication blackout in your AO, from whatever cause.  Shutting down the internet, landlines, and cell towers can be done remotely, but it's highly unlikely anyone could or would try to jam hundreds of MHz of the radio spectrum over a wide area.  Hams should be prepared for a knock on their door from authorities wanting to question them or inspect their station if there's any unauthorized transmissions anywhere nearby in a scenario like that.  You'll be the low hanging fruit, no one is going to bother taking DF gear out to the field until they rule out the most likely sources in the general area first.

3) Any event that impacts the existing communication infrastructure (CME, EMP, cyber attack).  A line of people at your door wanting you to send messages or try to make contact with someone on their behalf might be a security concern.  Maybe more so if you've helped in smaller emergencies in the past, and then refuse when a big one hits.  Ummmm, is that chicken soup I smell too?

4) Being 'volunteered' by DHS/FEMA to assist in a national emergency.  The new 2014 national emergency communications plan from DHS formally incorporates amateur radio now.  It's all voluntary of course, until it's not.  Anyone take any of the FEMA independent study courses and submit your test results for the certificate of achievement?  If so, read what it says under your name.  If you can honestly pass the test, then what does the piece of paper really add except another method to cross-reference you and your knowledge/skills?

5) Being forced to pick a side in a conflict when you'd rather not, or if you prefer to remain neutral (or hidden).   If you've made it public knowledge that you have a particular skill that's in demand in your AO, you can't expect others to ignore it.  You could find yourself between a rock and a hard place, pick one group and p*ss off the other.  Choose neither and p*ss off both. 

6) Being a target for the Tyler Smith-type marauder preppers of the world, who are using the ULS database (along with social media and forums like this one) now to create post-SHTF target lists for later.   

Are any of these likely to happen in the near term?  Probably not, but can anyone be sure none will ever happen?  Getting a license is the easiest method to obtain comm skills and practice safely, but it comes at the price of being irrevocable and forever attached to you.  No one can know for sure how, where, why, or by whom this information might be used in the future.  Just something as simple as the price of PMs,  firearms, or ammo skyrocketing years from now could make every prepper a target for crime, and the ULS database combined with other freely available information, even what you wrote on this forum years before, the means someone uses to locate you (or your family after you're dead). 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »
It's a new year, and one of my goals it to be more optimistic.  Not in a "head in the sand" kind of way, but I want to focus on the things I CAN do, and not get paralyzed worrying about things that might go wrong.  I want to encourage and support others, and make due with what I have when necessary.

If I was a pessimist, and assumed we'd experience SHTF in the next year or so, that's a great excuse to NOT do things that otherwise would improve my life.

Things I won't do in 2015 because of  TEOTWAWKI
* paint the trim on my house this spring - given the possibility of a meteor strike, I won't waste my resources
* replace the brakes on my truck - there'll be no gas during the apocalypse anyhow
* I won't be planting this spring - my modest kitchen garden will attract marauders
* No more investing in food storage - DHS will confiscate all my top ramen based on analysis of my Costco receipts
* learn anything - if the U.N. troops think I have skills, I'll be sent to a skilled labor slave camp
* Keep any firearms - ATF will confiscate my favorite guns, I should pawn them now and buy silver, but then they'll be after my silver...

Now that I think of it - I'm probably going to die eventually.  I may as well crawl back into bed and hide.

(sorry for the gratuitous sarcasm)

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »
I refuse to live looking over my shoulder wonder 'what if'.  My future may expire tomorrow, but until then-I'm Gonna Live!

List?-I have a PO Box to help with that.

Of course I do a bi-weekly podcast about Ham Radio, I post on plenty of Net Forums, I own a 4x4, guns, radios, Grain-Mill, Chickens, Farm Tractors, and carry not only a State Issued Drivers Licenses, but a State Issued CWP. 
If they want me, they've got me-so what-they've prolly got you too.
Does Ham Radio make me a prettier target than Prepper Sam and his 15 years of Dry Goods? Who Cares!
Amateur Radio is one of my 4 hobbies, 3 of which could be counter-productive to 'the man'.
Oh well.

Not beating you up man (or trying to argue), just laying it out there....it's of no concern to me. 
Enjoy what we've been given-try to inspire those who will carry the torch tomorrow.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2015, 09:00:25 PM »
Interesting points by cydil, but I think that if we applied the same logic to all of our activities (from posting on this forum, other hobbies, political activism and social networks) we'd have to live our lives in some weird fantasy land of trying to hide everything we do while putting on a façade to all that we're just painfully boring people. That might help if a person like Stalin were to take hold of the reins of government in the near future, but even then the arbitrariness with which totalitarian regimes decided who to liquidate was so bizarre that not even the most cautious person was ever safe (after all, to the paranoid they're the ones that must be up to something). Heck, the Khmer Rouge used to kill people who wore glasses because they feared that they might be intellectuals, and I for the life of me cannot stand contacts!

It might be good to plan for some of the contingencies spoken about in cydil's post, but I'd be thinking more along the lines of keeping an old beaten ham rig or extra Baofeng to give to the authorities should they come by to confiscate equipment or buy that extra rig you always wanted to set up that remote station at the relatives who live outside of your restrictive HOA, etc.

Some of the scenarios highlighted in cydil's post (like people lining up to send traffic, etc.) or being expected to turn out to assist the authorities might be better dealt with through a good bugout plan or alternative locations to head to in an emergency. It might be unfortunate that there might not be time to tear down and pack some huge towers, yagis and rotors located at one's home QTH, but nothing's perfect in this life.

Another thought about visibility would be that a healthy network of people in the community who'll vouch for one's reputation, help out in times of need and take heed if the authorities go after you is a better route than avoiding the limelight and living a very hidden life. People taking the risk to help others is what got lots of people through WW2 in occupied Europe, and I'm sure that many Solidarity activists in Poland were being whisked from apartment to apartment to hide them from the authorities. Sure, there will be busybodies, Quislings and others to watch out for, but that's no reason to run from civil society while it's possible to cultivate healthy relations. I'll bet that further to the publicized raids in Europe in the past week that some reclusive Jihadists are being disappeared as we speak, and hardly anyone will notice or care if they did. It's a lot harder to do that to very public citizens whose absence willl be noticed and missed very quickly if something like that were to happen to them.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 06:01:41 AM »
One can not live in the shadow of fear.
If one lives in fear,he is in chains.
If the mind is FREE,so is the soul.
We prepare so we have no fear.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2015, 06:54:57 AM »
Dragging things back over from tin foil hat territory extreme outlier events, back into the realm of highly probable goings-on, (and catching up on something I meant to post a couple of days ago):

There are 2 elements to the privacy question:

1) "the man"
2) random listeners

Let's add one more:
3) snoopy-ass middle management

I'm not worried about The Man.  The Man wants you, The Man's got you, end of story.  At least there's a chance for due process.  Random listeners-turned-stalkers, meh, a P.O. box is plenty of cover there.  No, I'm concerned about the control freak in management who spends his off hours sifting through employees' personal life online, and Hey Bingo! – finds your call sign all over a preparedness forum.  And of course, he thinks he knows all about those prepper people, because he's seen the TV shows about them.  For a lot of people, this is Career Over.

Something similar happened in my last job, when political contribution data first became available online.  Seems I contributed to the wrong candidate.  Wish I'd had a recorder, or even a witnesses when that SOB blurted out what he'd done.  "This... this just doesn't fit with our corporate values."

No, I'm not worried about having a call sign in the FCC's database.  I've even put quite a bit of personal information on my qrz.com page.  I'm not too worried about end-of-the world stuff.  I'm more worried about the G-man wannabe who skims data and puts 2 + 2 together to get 13, then starts a whisper campaign.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2015, 12:40:33 PM »
Good point Alan.

Prospective employers are doing Google searches on prospective employees with greater regularity, and one of my main concerns at this time are that my online persona appears reasonably neutral. I have no qualms about anyone finding my profile on QRZ.com or discovering that I'm a Red Cross volunteer, etc., but as someone just out of studies who's looking for work, I'll wait until I'm more established before I consider opening up more about things of a political or religious nature, or allowing things like call signs to link to such information.

Offline redeyeprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • redeyeprep
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »
I figure in a true TEOTWAWKI scenario, everyone’s a potential target. I’m not going to plan my life or my hobbies based upon such worries. Besides, I’d much rather be seen as a potential resource by those around me, as opposed to just another burdensome mouth to feed. As for ‘The Man’, I suspect running around rounding up Amateurs isn’t exactly going to be at the top of their To Do list in the unlikely event that everything were to fall completely apart.   ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 01:35:37 PM »
With the way our government is heading,being on their list is a good thing.