Author Topic: Anyone "Pellet Grill" Cooking? (ie Traeger or Green Mountain)  (Read 9273 times)

nelson96

I didn't see a thread like this already so I thought I would start one....  In about an hour I'm picking up my new Traeger pellet grill.  Because I'm new to grilling/smoking with one of these babies, I was hoping I could get some advice with recipes, temperatures, pellets, cooking times, ideas on what to cook, etc., etc. 

My daughter bought me an iGrill meat thermometer for Christmas, so I'll take advantage of that too.  If anyone has any experience with it, or something like it, please let me know how it improved your grilling.

If the mods will allow it [on this recipe board], I'd like to hear what some of you may have done to modify or add to your pellet grill to make it work better and/or what grill you chose to buy and why.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Anyone "Pellet Grill" Cooking? (ie Traeger or Green Mountain)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »
I have only used the one our group has a couple of times,it has High,Med,Low setting and pretty good thermal control as long as lid is kept SHUT. Be sure and pre-run before filling hopper the first time and try not to let the hopper run out while cooking or smoking. I like the S&W pellets a bit better than what sample pack came with the grill. Smoked peppers are awesome..
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

nelson96

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:06:23 PM »
I have only used the one our group has a couple of times,it has High,Med,Low setting and pretty good thermal control as long as lid is kept SHUT.

This one has a digital thermostat (no more 3-step settings), which makes it like running an oven.

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 02:15:11 PM »
Nelson, I use a traeger at the house for smoking.  It has the older digital control (doesn't have the input for temp probes).  I love cooking with it.  Does a great Job on most everything I've tried.  The traeger website has a bunch of recipes as a go by.  I originally bought pellets from traegers website then had sales, but lately bought from amazon with prime shipping.  We store the pellets in 5 gallon buckets so they stack easy and keep everything in one place.  Since I live in the northeast and still like to use it in cold weather, I was going to buy one of their insulated covers, but found a welding blanket from harbor freight works just as well and much much cheaper.
I want to live in a world where a Transgender gay couple can use a machine gun to protect their pot plants while paying a 10% flat tax.

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 02:58:28 PM »
I originally bought pellets from traegers website then had sales, but lately bought from amazon with prime shipping.

I can get lots of different flavored pellets locally for $9.99/bag (20#) is Amazon any cheaper?
Great suggestion on the blanket.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 03:03:37 PM »
I can get lots of different flavored pellets locally for $9.99/bag (20#) is Amazon any cheaper?
Great suggestion on the blanket.

$17 to $30 or so at AMAZON..shipping hurts without PRIME membership

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

nelson96

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 09:54:42 PM »
$17 to $30 or so at AMAZON..shipping hurts without PRIME membership

Even the Traeger brand pellets are just $13.99 per bag here locally.

Offline ericksonrs

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »
Love my traeger...Use it all the time...I can imagine the briskets you'll have...I have to stick to low-cost options these days like Turkey and Pork Shoulder.  ;D

nelson96

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
Just got it assembled 5 minutes ago.  Still have to run its first burn before cooking in it.

Offline ericksonrs

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »
One of our family favorites...

http://www.smoking-meat.com/october-2010-smoked-bone-in-turkey-breast

The brine recipe I usually omit everything but the salt, sugar, molasses, and Worcestershire and I use my own rub but with some applewood pellets its amazing.

nelson96

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »
To date I've only been grilling steaks and burgers with my new Traeger, which have been awesome, but today I decided to try a rump roast.  Oh my gosh, check out the pics. 

I rubbed it with a olive oil, Montreal Chicken seasoning, garlic powder, pepper, and Lawry's seasoned salt.  Then I smoked it (with pecan pellets) for an hour, then pulled the roast out and jacked the temp up to 450.  Before I put the roast back in, I added 2 cups of beef broth to the pan then put it back in the grill for 30 minutes (at the 450, which then dropped to around 400).  Once 30 minutes had passed, I turned the temp down to 225 and continued to cook it until it reached 133 degrees with a meat probe (took about an hour and a half, after I turned the temp down to 225).  Then I took the roast out and let it sit on the counter with a tin-foil tent over it.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 07:22:48 PM »
Good thing I have the drool cover on my keyboard.....

nelson96

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 07:24:37 PM »
Good thing I have the drool cover on my keyboard.....

It was so good Carl.  I've never had better in a restaurant.  And it was home raised beef.

nelson96

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 09:28:04 PM »
Made jalapeno poppers on the Traeger tonight.  They were a perfect appetizer to go with pizza night. 

Cut down one side of each jalapeno so that I could scrape the veins and seeds out.  Then stuffed each of them with monterey jack cheese and wrapped each with a whole slice of bacon.  Smoked for first hour then turned up to 375 degrees to cook until bacon was crispy (about 30 minutes).

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 04:51:08 AM »
YUMM,ham and cheese spicy wraps...now I gotta' wipe down my screen.  8)

nelson96

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 07:29:55 PM »
Just cooked my first pork roast.  First, I very thoroughly rubbed it down with Dillo Dust*.  I put it in the Traeger, directly on the grill, at 9:00 a.m. to smoke all day.  At 3:00 I placed a shallow pan under it, added a good cup of apple juice, and tented the roast with tinfoil.  At 5:00 p.m. (after smoking for 6 hours), I turned the temp up to 325 and cooked the roast until it reached an internal temp of 170 degrees......  It was AMAZING!!  The flavor was awesome and the meat was so juicy I felt like it wasn't cooked enough (but it was of course).

*  Dillo Dust is a rub you receive free with every purchase from LaRue Tactical.  This stuff proved great on pork.  I'm going to have to see if they'll sell it, since I've only gotten two 4 oz. containers after buying a couple of scope mounts.

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 08:51:06 PM »
Looks great!  We did a beef roast in ours today.  Came out quite tasty.
I want to live in a world where a Transgender gay couple can use a machine gun to protect their pot plants while paying a 10% flat tax.

nelson96

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 08:35:39 PM »
Tonight I grilled a 3.13 pound  "seasoned tri-tip" from Costco.  I added a little more of their rub on it (Flavor Connection Rib Rub and Seasoning) than what it came home with and would probably not do that again (too salty).  I placed the tri-tip directly on the grill (no pan and no cover) and smoked it for 1.5 hours with Pecan pellets, then simply turned the grill up to high (450 degrees) and let it cook until the internal temp of the meat was 132.  The grill temp never did get above 430 before it was done and I think the total cook time was something close to 2 hours (first 1.5 hours smoking on low).  Besides being a little salty, the tri-tip looked great and tasted awesome.  We'll cut some of the outside pieces off from the leftovers and use it to make hash in the morning.

nelson96

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 11:25:14 AM »
The hash turned out great.  The fact that the tri-tip was over-seasoned by the rub lent itself very well to the hash.  I didn't use any other seasoning, simply cooked it with potatoes and diced onions, with a tab of butter and bacon fat.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:33:27 AM by nelson96 »

nelson96

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:40 PM »
Can someone help me name these jewels?.....  Elk steak wrapped with bacon.

All my life I've pretty much cooked elk steak the same way....  I cut it in to fillets (1/4" - 3/8" thick), roll it in flour, season it with Lawry's Salt, garlic powder, and pepper, then fry it (til brown on both sides) in butter and olive oil.

I don't like it grilled on a barbecue because it dries it out too much, but baked in my pellet grill after being smoked for an hour, that's something altogether different.  And wrapped in bacon helps insure they stay juicy, and it was, tender too.

I simply laid the meat out on a plate and seasoned it the same way I would cooking it in my traditional way, then wrapped each piece in bacon.  Sometimes using a whole piece of bacon and sometimes using a half of a piece, depending on the size of the elk fillet.  Then I smoked it for an hour.  Then turned the heat up to 350 and cooked it on each side for about 15 minutes each (or until the bacon is a little crispy).  Feel free to try one, or two, or three while they are cooking to see if they are done.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 05:27:04 AM »
DOODLES!!!

nelson96

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 08:01:02 AM »
DOODLES!!!

???   ;D  You must explain.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 08:10:55 AM »
Named your elk/bacon as ELK NUGGETS might make some people squeamish...doodles has a 'ring' to it.
And they would really go good with a selection of dipping sauces.

nelson96

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 08:35:12 AM »
Named your elk/bacon as ELK NUGGETS might make some people squeamish...doodles has a 'ring' to it.
And they would really go good with a selection of dipping sauces.

Good one.  They do kinda have a shape of very large elk pellets.  If I marinated them in something dark, they may even come out the right color.

My brother suggested "Achin for Elk"....  achin instead of bacon
My Uncle suggested Hog Bugles
A friend of mine suggested Hog Wild for Wapiti 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 09:04:47 AM »
Apple bacon or cooked in maple syrup would does make my mouth water.....

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »
Who's got plans to cooking something yummy on their pellet grill?...  I'm going to try my first brisket.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 03:25:21 PM »
Well, cooked my first brisket and am floored at how easy it was to do.  With all the talk that brisket gets among the BBQ/Smoking circles, I had always assumed it would be difficult to cook, or at least easy to screw-up.  What I discovered is that with basic knowledge in how to manage temperature in your grill and in your meat, everything else is simply time (just waiting).

There's really no recipe to follow, other than the "rub", and brisket rub is the most basic of all rubs (I find that most people just use a mix of salt and pepper).  I used Lawry's Garlic Pepper Seasoning on the entire piece of meat.  Other than that, it's just about time and temp.  I smoked it for a period of time (about 4 hrs) and turned it up to a grill temp of 225 for the rest of the time, until the brisket reached an IT of 205.  I then let it rest for a few hours in a cooler, wrapped in towels.

If I do say so myself, it was as good as any brisket I've ever ate, and I've eaten a lot over the years.

Offline ericksonrs

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »
I've done about 6 Turkey's and/or Turkey breasts and did a New York Strip Roast (Poor mans' prime rib) since Thanksgiving.

All have been unmitigated successes.  It is certainly a painless way to smoke meat...that's why I call it the lazy man's smoker.  Even my brother with an electric smoker has to fiddle with it all the time to get the heat consistent.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »
It is certainly a painless way to smoke meat...that's why I call it the lazy man's smoker. 

Some things in life should be easy...  I'll take a "lazy man's" smoker any time.