Author Topic: Artificial grass?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
Artificial grass?
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »
So my wife and I were shopping around the big box home improvement stores over the weekend, and we noticed the displays for artificial grass, and she commented that it is starting to look more and more real.  I started to say I'm not sure how I feel about it, because grass itself is kind of dumb, but man, with the drought we are having in CA, artificial turf sounds like a better idea all the time.  Then I can up with the idea to do really nice front yard garden beds, and fill in the walkways between with AT.  That way, you could install a nice drip system to the beds, heavy mulch, and have zero weeds to deal with in between.  It would likely use less water than a lawn, provide food, and still could be done in a way that didn't stand out in the neighborhood as anything negative.  Anyone have any experience with AT?  what do you folks think?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Artificial grass?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »
A coworker was going to put AT in his yard and I really harassed him about it.  But looking at his situation, it wouldn't be a bad idea.  He has a townhouse with a very small back yard.  His deck covers about half the yard and his house faces South, so the rest of the yard doesn't get much sun.  His dog kills anything that manages to grow.

I think you have a pretty good idea for your area.  It certainly would help conserve water.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Artificial grass?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »
I think few would notice until drought/no water days where you might get some attention.
The inflatable goats may also congregate as they like artificial turf,or they should.