Author Topic: What to do with my garden?  (Read 793 times)

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
What to do with my garden?
« on: April 30, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
  So I have been doing a basic raised bed garden for a few years now, and it is coming along "okay" but I have never really gotten the production I have hoped for/seen others do.  I know my mish-mash drip system is a big part of the problem.  I have been thinking about basically knocking out most of what I have done (except established trees, etc), trenching in a nice watering system, and restarting with a little better plan.  I understand the basic idea of permaculture, but not really enough to design my backyard.  I'm on .27ac, with a large part of it backyard, maybe 5-6000sf, so, for the 'burbs, I have a little bit to work with.  I'm not trying to spend a fortune getting it going, but I am not unwilling to make an investment in it.  I am in the Sacramento Valley, so we have a long hot growing season, but I would like to make it as water-smart as I can, too.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I like the idea of something like:

since it would likely help with property values since we will likely be moving, at least out of town in the next few years.  I really like the idea of that kind of bed with the compost/worm farm pipes sunk into it too.

I just wanted some input before I start running hard lines for water, and then hear a great idea and have to re-do it again.