Author Topic: Google Drive and All things Documented...  (Read 5284 times)

Offline SkyLynx

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Google Drive and All things Documented...
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:04:59 PM »
I have been a lurker for a while and have downloaded close to 800 Survival Podcasts and started from number one. My first question: Is Google Drive still a good place to store important documents. Obviously not Bug Out or Bug in plans and locations...Just what our Gov't already knows.. SSN, Birth Certificate, Drivers License, Titles, Insurance. I'm open for suggestions adding to or discarding.

Thanks,
SkyLynx

nkawtg

Re: Google Drive and All things Documented...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 04:12:50 PM »
I would not put any of that info in Google Drive or any other cloud service.
It's not the government I'm worried about, it's cyber crime.
Keep your personal documents on an external drive, DVD, thumb drive, etc. that is not connected to the internet.

Offline SkyLynx

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »
Thank you, that's what I wanted an opinion on. On the earliest episodes Jack had made that suggestion that some important documents be stored on GD and I didn't know if that were still the general consensus.

Thanks Again,
Skylynx

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »
Ideally you would want to keep any personal and financial data encrypted.  Even a USB drive, CD, etc can be stolen and used. 

It's not so much the media and the content.  Always go with the most secure you can afford.  Go with what is the data worth to you...  GD, Dropbox, Owncloud, Box.net can sorta be safe..  you just have to make it so.  Go with Two Factor authentication, Pass phrases not passwords.  And encrypt.

Offline SkyLynx

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 05:35:09 PM »
I think what I am concerned about is access to Documents if I don't have hard copies with me. Not that anyone would take electronic copies as proof of identity or ownership, but it was  just a thought. A jump drive would be simple enough to hide but if no laptop is available, neither option is really viable.

Thanks Always,
SkyLynx

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 05:58:33 PM »
I am seriously in love with Google Drive.  All of my writing is on Docs (backed up elsewhere).  My workouts, my garden plans, my vintage sheet music inventory and a whole lot more are on Sheets.

But I would not store things like my SSN or a scan of my birth certificate on there.

If it helps any, I work in a healthcare related job, and we use Google for a lot of things including our work email.  We are specifically told NEVER to use Google Mail, Sheets, Docs or Slides for anything that would have a patient name, image, address or any other identifying information (per HIPAA) because the risk of someone hacking into it is too high to meet HIPAA standards.  And we're not even close to being a major target.

Honestly, I would have a scan/pdf of the documents on a flash drive that I had easy access to, another copy on a flash drive or an external hard drive stored somewhere else (like locked up at a responsible sibling's house), both of them password protected, and then printed copies in a safe somewhere in case those won't work for some reason.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »
I think what I am concerned about is access to Documents if I don't have hard copies with me. Not that anyone would take electronic copies as proof of identity or ownership, but it was  just a thought. A jump drive would be simple enough to hide but if no laptop is available, neither option is really viable.

Thanks Always,
SkyLynx

Most modern phones can read flash drives. Android users can use an on the go cable.

Jerseyboy

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 01:22:14 AM »
is a file repository system like Mediafire a safer option than google drive?

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »
Greekman, I would say no.  I took a quick look at them and did not see anything that would lead me to believe that their service is any more secure than Google.

Honestly, for something to be truly secure in the cloud it needs:
1.  To be encrypted when it is transferred to the cloud
2.  Encrypted when it is stored in the cloud
3.  Encrypted when it is downloaded from the could

Personally, I will only store things in the cloud that I consider public.  I would never store sensitive information there unless it was specifically designed for storing sensitive documents.

Offline SkyLynx

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 07:15:01 AM »
Thanks to everyone  for your help!

Skylynx

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:01:19 AM »
Greekman, I would say no.  I took a quick look at them and did not see anything that would lead me to believe that their service is any more secure than Google.

hmmm....I failed to ask "safe from who and what"
I was thinking more of terms of someone hacking you google account. Could it be that soem one hacks Mediafire and searches for specific users data?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 09:43:27 AM »
I do not fear loss due to my files being in such a mass as to not be worth looking for....they would look more at BANK,GOVERNMENT,CREDIT repositories of data rather than sift through individual files  on a GOOGLE drive....
You are as safe as the stock exchange or money in the bank.

You should worry more about what is already on the internet about you! I saw your Facebook....shame shame.....

I trust Google Drive to hold my pass phrase encrypted documents as ZIP files and it makes one more means of storage
and or recovery of my data ...DVD,CD,thumb drive,USB hard drives,the original documents are deep below ground in my BOL.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 09:47:28 AM »
and make a 2nd copy somewhere else, after all, big companies 'never' loose data or trash it..

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
and make a 2nd copy somewhere else, after all, big companies 'never' loose data or trash it..

You have no idea how true that is.

We had a great AD fail over the weekend.  Doing a Exchange cut over to Office 365.  All done.  Asked them if they had a back up - yes we are good..

process the terminating Exchange and it killed every user account.... but ... no backup to pull from.

What a mess.

Make a backkup.. make two.  And test often.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 11:15:13 AM »
You have no idea how true that is.

We had a great AD fail over the weekend.  Doing a Exchange cut over to Office 365.  All done.  Asked them if they had a back up - yes we are good..

process the terminating Exchange and it killed every user account.... but ... no backup to pull from.

What a mess.

Make a backkup.. make two.  And test often.

backups are useless unless they are tested and tested often

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »
  You should worry more about what is already on the internet about you! I saw your Facebook....shame shame.....

you refer to my FB profile?
If there is something off or strange I would like/need to know.

BTW,
I have said it before, but I will repeat it. My offsite data storage is on DVDs...
Bulky, with the possibility to deteriorate over time but they saved me several times.
With multisession DVDs you have the ability to retrieve older version of your files...

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 12:41:35 PM »
Honestly, for something to be truly secure in the cloud it needs:
1.  To be encrypted when it is transferred to the cloud
2.  Encrypted when it is stored in the cloud
3.  Encrypted when it is downloaded from the could

+1 to this. Google drive does 1 & 3 via TLS. You need to manually ensure item 2. I would add:
4. Strong authentication and access control is required. It does no good to do everything else if your password is 12345

I keep some personal docs encrypted on Google Drive and I'm not particularly worried about people hacking it. Here are my reasons:
  • I have two-factor auth on my google account. This makes it much harder (near impossible, currently) to access through the front door.
  • Google is one of the best in the business. Yes, they can have a breach and are a big target, but they have large teams dedicated to security.
  • I encrypt everything before I put it on google drive. This means dragging the encrypted file to my local computer, decrypting it, making my changes, re encrypting it, and then copying it back to Drive.
  • I encrypt robustly. I still use TrueCrypt, since the very public security audit on it came back favorably. I will be looking at an alternative when a good one comes around.

If, however, you want a secure cloud based file storage and sync solution, look at SpiderOak. They strive to have zero knowledge of the data they host by keeping the security keys in your possession only.

If you keep those files unencrypted anywhere, you are at risk. It doesn't matter if it's at home on a PC, on a DVD, or in the cloud. I feel the risk is greater on a home PC because of most user's habits and the general lack of security out there.