Author Topic: Bleach more concentrated  (Read 7229 times)

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
Bleach more concentrated
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:14:55 PM »
I don't buy bleach often, so it was new to me they are selling it in a more concentrated form. The bottles are smaller and say "64oz=96oz". This being the case, less would be needed to purify water and sanitize items.

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
Re: Bleach more concentrated
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:49:51 AM »
They also sell lesser concentrated in bargain bleach which you have to watch for. I was buying some for preps and then I realized it was lower than standard clorox. So yes it was cheaper per oz but less bleach per oz. I stick to the normal concentrations. However if space is a concern I would just get pool shock (pure calcium hypochlorite though) to make your own in case of emergency.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »
Personally, I'd just stick with standard Clorox bleach. You know what you are getting (pretty much) and know the dosages. The middle of a situation is no time to try to figure out what you need to purify your water.

Likewise, I'd avoid using pool shock - Calcium hypochlorite can be nasty to store and work with. Clorox brand is not that much more expensive than the bargain brands, so I'd just stick with that.

soup

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
Personally, I'd just stick with standard Clorox bleach. You know what you are getting (pretty much) and know the dosages. The middle of a situation is no time to try to figure out what you need to purify your water.

Likewise, I'd avoid using pool shock - Calcium hypochlorite can be nasty to store and work with. Clorox brand is not that much more expensive than the bargain brands, so I'd just stick with that.

soup

The active ingredient in bleach, sodium hypochlorite, naturally breaks down into salt and water. The rate of breakdown increases rapidly when bleach is stored in extreme hot or freezing temperatures, or when a bottle is more than one year old. Generally, bleach stored at room temperature (~70°F) has a shelf life of one year, but after that point it should be replaced.

Not much good for LONG TERM STORAGE.....-

endurance

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
Interesting. This made me think about the MSR MIOX system where you just added salt and an electric current passed through the water essentially made chlorine to purify the water. The product is no longer for sale, but it makes me think there may be another way to purify water with the effectiveness of chlorine, but only salt and electricity. Gears turning...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:32:02 AM »
Interesting. This made me think about the MSR MIOX system where you just added salt and an electric current passed through the water essentially made chlorine to purify the water. The product is no longer for sale, but it makes me think there may be another way to purify water with the effectiveness of chlorine, but only salt and electricity. Gears turning...

This looks easy enough to do..LINK  though other filtration would be advisable.

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=15676

endurance

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:02:59 AM »
Very cool!  I love learning new options for stuff like that. If you have even a small charging system and a small cache of salt, you'd have endless purified water.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
I did keep a bottle of bleach around for a couple years. You are right it broke down into water. Wasn't bleach anymore for sure.

Offline Mitch214

• Prepper
  • Thank you all
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 10:51:13 PM »
I have some bleach that is over a year old. I checked it just now and it is still good. I am now worried how much longer it will be good. I will trash it later and get some more. Thanks for the info

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 03:51:29 AM »
I have some bleach that is over a year old. I checked it just now and it is still good. I am now worried how much longer it will be good. I will trash it later and get some more. Thanks for the info

The need for bleach is hardly likely to be a long term need,buy a new jug every 3 months and add the oldest ,a cup at a time,to your white laundry and it will be easier to find your underwear.

Offline Mitch214

• Prepper
  • Thank you all
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 04:33:26 AM »
 Ha ha you assume I wear Whitey tidy's

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 04:48:29 AM »
Ha ha you assume I wear Whitey tidy's

I don't wanna' know.... :spit:

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 05:00:58 AM »
     Having a septic system, using bleach in laundry is out of the question. As most rural folks with septic systems are aware, for it to operate correctly, there has to be an active colony in the septic tank, breaking down all waste into liquids, which then dissipate into the ground through a drain field. If you get bleach into the system it will (potentially) kill off the beneficial bacteria and you risk having the process shut down, allowing solids to get into and destroy the drain field.
     If something absolutely has to be bleached, we do it in a bucket and pour it outdoors on weeds, along with a couple of buckets of rinse water, before putting those items in the washing machine. A functioning septic system is a great survival asset and worth taking care of.

Offline Mitch214

• Prepper
  • Thank you all
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 06:42:43 AM »
Lol. What I can post a pic if u would like

Offline Odin's Son

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »
When I looked into the more concentrated bleach, I found that it wasn't good for purifying water for drinking.  It's been a year or two but ill try and find the article and post a link to it.  I always suggest doing the research for your self before investing in something new.  btw, I contacted Clorox but they never got back to me on using the new bleach for drinking water.  If anybody knows of some research, that proves this either way, please post a link as I can't remember the reasons why not to use it.

Offline blacklabel

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 05:44:05 PM »

endurance

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 05:54:45 PM »
Here's an article from Clorox on the subject.

https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/disaster-preparedness-purifying-water/
Nice find for a documented source from the manufacturer.

I was looking into pool shock and after reading a number of labels, then pulling up the SDS (formerly MSDS) sheets on several different brands, I'm less enthusiastic about that alternative.  There's some stuff out there that I just wouldn't want to put into my body, like some that had known carcinogen if ingested warnings.  True, if your alternative is getting giardia or crypto in a situation you won't have the drugs to treat those diseases, it might be the best choice, but until I find a pool shock product that has a label that doesn't include ingredients that have big, scary warnings, I'll take my chances with bleach regularly rotated and purification tablets designed for human consumption. 

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 09:29:17 PM »
Bleach is very cheap and plentiful.  It's very easy to rotate some fresh bleach into you preps every year.

Offline Night Walker

• Prepper
  • "Pro Deo et Patria"
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »
We label our bleach jugs with date-of-purchase just like our cans of food. When a jug hits the 7-8 month range, we rotate it into laundry duty.

Over the years when we stored 'em for a whole year before using, we had several which on opening smelled no stronger than water (must have grabbed some old stock or purchased from a store with slow sales of bleach), so we make a point to purchase from stores which have a decent inventory turn-over and we rotate stock more often...

At work now so don't have the date-code details, but we learned to read the date codes so we could get the most-recently produced stuff!