Author Topic: My wifes' view on prepping!  (Read 6683 times)

Lucretius

My wifes' view on prepping!
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:47:22 AM »
My wife has always had a positive attitude re: self sufficient living (she's good at gardening, making good clothes, finding good stuff at flea markets, etc. etc.). When it comes to prepping, she's letting me take care of that stuff, and is really sceptic about it all.
Yesterday, she really shocked me, when we discussed alternative ways of heating our house. Right now, we need electricity to heat the house. The system is far from peak efficiency, so we could save a lot of money by having some additional heat source.
All options she liked were ALSO 100% dependant on the power grid. I of course wanted anything other than that - a wood stove for example.
Since we live in scandinavia, a power outage in the winter could be a really grim scenario.
But since we live in a decently populated area, lasting power outages are unheard of (the longest one in her life was three hours  :P).

This is the way the discussion continued:
Wife: "We've got a civilisation sorrounding us that fixes problems like that. It would be different if we lived out in the woods!"
Me: "But, what if something went wrong with the power grid - a snow storm for example - and the bird flu hit at the same time - the people that normally fix the grid are sick, home with their sick families, or uninfected and bugging in and thus not going to work. In that scenario we could be without heating for several days, with only candles and blankets to keep warm!"
Wife: "Okay, but what are the odds that two such events happen at the same time?"
Me: "Well, maybe that scenario is long odds high consequence... We'd go 'Wow, how unlikely' while watching our kids freezing and already weakened by a lethal flu..."
Wife: "Okay, tell you what: if either of those two things happen, we'd go and by a stove first thing. Then we're prepared for the combo." 

:o :o :o :o :o :o

That's not exactly my idea of PREparing.

I think this might sound like we're having this giant fight over this - we're not. We're having a very civilized discussion, with lots of humour and love. But this thing scared me. She's totally happy that "society" will take care of us in an emergency, and thinks that going out to by a woodstove (or any other way of heating a house) in a blackout during a snow storm isn't dangerous and stupid.

How can I convince her that emergency prepping has to at least be a factor when buying stuff for the house?

(Yes, I know Jack made an excellent episode on this type of stuff, but it's always to see many peoples perspective I think.)

millerized1

Re: My wifes' view on prepping!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »
I don't even ask any more.  I've done so much "crazy" stuff (in her mind) that I'm just wasting money.  Even when we do lose power, I start the generator, she's happy...tv works, phone works, lights work, the propane stove and the kerosene heater in the basement keep the house warm....not realizing that I'm suppling the power and not the power company....even after I've told her we're on generator power.  The breakfasts/lunches/dinners I've put together when the power goes out, using the Alpaca kerosene stove and the grill....still clueless as to the origins of her food.  As long as she's warm, full and not thirsty, she's happy.  Just don't tell her where it all comes from.

Don't approach her with the problem or solution, nor ask her permission unless you need her money to do it.  Somedays they just don't want to know, and most times they just don't need to know.

Just my opinion, and a solution that works for me.

tash

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:56:12 AM »
how about...

the first snow fall, when she's not looking or even at home, go outside plug the phone line and head to the main breaker to trip it.

see how long she is fine with everything. let her try and call but since there is not phone... (only problem would be is if she has a cell phone)

"oh No!, we don't have power and we're gonna get cold soon..." or "i wonder how we'll cook dinner without heat" or "how long is this gonna last"

they say 'honey, this was just a drill. what if this really happened?'

turn everything back on. real life experience has a way of hitting home when words don't.

just a thought. she could understand or you could be in the dog house. it's always worth a shot.

-tash

kaiservontexas

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »
how about...

the first snow fall, when she's not looking or even at home, go outside plug the phone line and head to the main breaker to trip it.

see how long she is fine with everything. let her try and call but since there is not phone... (only problem would be is if she has a cell phone)

"oh No!, we don't have power and we're gonna get cold soon..." or "i wonder how we'll cook dinner without heat" or "how long is this gonna last"

they say 'honey, this was just a drill. what if this really happened?'

turn everything back on. real life experience has a way of hitting home when words don't.

just a thought. she could understand or you could be in the dog house. it's always worth a shot.

-tash

That is great! Thankfully my Lady and I think preparing is a good thing and help each other gear up.

No I am not married yet, and yes I will do my best to keep her.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:13:51 AM »
What Tash said...see if you can get her to at least see what it would be like without electricty for a whole day.  That alone may change her mind.

And...use the teaching moments that happen around you.  For example, a whole lot of people throughout Ohio were without power for an extended period after the remnants of Hurricane Ike blew through.  It was nothing more than a lot of wind, but it took down a whole bunch of local power grids.

Good luck to ya'!!

Offline Jeff@PrepChurch.com

• Prepper
    • PrepChurch.com
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »
Being a woodstove salesman/installer in real life, here's my take:

What other reasons are there for having a woodstove that she might like?

Would she like to snuggle up next to you while watching a cozy fire burn?
Would she be interested in hearing how you can lower your electric/gas bill by using a stove instead of the central heat?

She may take an interest for aesthetic and/or financial reasons apart from prepping reasons.  Ask around and find someone else who has a wood stove and find out what they like about having one.  You may come up with other ways to approach the subject with your wife.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 02:41:49 PM »
Oooooh!!  Ooooooh!   Oooooooh!!!  You can cook on a woodstove too!!  Do I win the bonus round?

freedomrik

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 02:49:40 PM »
my wife is finally coming around. I actually have her buying extra when she goes to the store now to put in my stockpile.

I think the thought of the SHTF really scared her. she at first never understood why I put so much effort in keeping up to date on news and why I buy all the stuff I do. with the economy dropping the way it is she is coming around now

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 07:17:36 PM »
I'm not even trying to convince her.  She grew up safe and satisfied in the 'burbs--she has no idea what the world is like when 911 doesn't answer.  I do.

I have been careful to totally keep her in the dark about all the prepping I've been doing.  To quote Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men, "You can't handle the truth!"

The only things visible in the house are things that pass for normal (an extra tarp, extra watercooler water bottle, BBQ propane tank).  A few things are in the house but not noticeable (bug out container in nondescript plastic storage bin in the attic).  The "obvious" stuff (ammo cans, bulk food) is at my friend's bug out pad in the country.

If she's not down with the program why keep her around?  She's really hot.  And I'm madly in love with her.  Have been for years. 

If SHTF, she'll be glad her husband took these "crazy" steps.  She'll say, "You got 25 pounds of pancake mix a year ago for $25.00?  Wow. I like not having our kids starving.  You even got bulk honey for $8 a gallon so the kids will feel like they're eating pancakes under normal circumstances."  (Or she'll still be pissed at me, but won't be pissed and hungry, which is not a good combo.)   

And if there never is a SHTF scenario, then I'm out a few hundred bucks.  That's what I'm hoping happens--nothing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:04:02 PM by Heavy G »

Offline ElyasWolff

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 10:56:06 PM »
Well if the power "accidentally" goes out you can "fix" it after a few hours.
Buy a cheap box stove and put it in a wood shed. That way you can pull it out at the last minute (with any piping you may need) and make it look like you had it all along.

I hope you the best, and God willing we wont be stuck with a North American Union. The EU saddens me to no end...
Stay safe

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 11:49:26 PM »
    My wife does what I tell her , when I tell her....Yeah right.  My wife is totally cool with it. Since she has been married to me, she has done so many things she had never done before, she has become an adventurous spirit. She would rather be quad riding in the mud,than having her nails done. Exploring some ghost town, rather than going to Hawaii. Watching Zombie movies, rather than clothes shopping. She kinda wants something to happen, because she is an adrenaline junkie. Her adventure now has become to drive 80,000lbs down the 6% incline on Mt. Hood hauling logs or D8 cats. Plus she is smoking hot, I don't know how I got so lucky!!! I am truly blessed.  I'm so amazed at how cool of a wife she really is.

The wife in our back field having fun...

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 12:32:03 PM »
Being a woodstove salesman/installer in real life, here's my take:

What other reasons are there for having a woodstove that she might like?

Would she like to snuggle up next to you while watching a cozy fire burn?
Would she be interested in hearing how you can lower your electric/gas bill by using a stove instead of the central heat?

She may take an interest for aesthetic and/or financial reasons apart from prepping reasons.  Ask around and find someone else who has a wood stove and find out what they like about having one.  You may come up with other ways to approach the subject with your wife.

What would be required to "hook" up a wood stove?  Are there some that can use different types of fuel?  Could one be hooked up to an existing furnace in order to use the fan?
I have been thinking of buying one when I get my tax refund (if we even get one because of the "bail-out").  But, I would really like to have one now.

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 02:44:28 PM »
Try going without electric for 2 weeks and see how fast a wood stove would be installed. That happened to us during hurricane season. No electric for 2 weeks. We had ways to stay cool and cook. Since it was in early fall we didn't have to worry about heat at that time but this is something that does happen. Alot of folks were without water and electric for 2 weeks or more. My daughter was one of them. They had to come to our house to get water and take showers. We had water, but that was all.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 09:25:44 AM »
  Perhaps a good compromise would be a propane or butane powered cooktop/heater and enough bottled gas for 3 to 10 days so you can easily have the back up available with little problem of fuel storage and you wood stove might make the important list ,the first time you use the gas burner for cook and comfort..

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 08:52:29 AM »
We purposely always have a dual-fuel stove in our home, especially for this reason. Even if electricity is out, we can still cook on the stovetop with our propane. We also have our large propane tank linked to our grill, so outdoor cooking is also possible. We also will never have a home without a woodstove or wood fireplace insert again. Our current woodstove heats the entire house quite well, so we use very little electric heat, even in winter.

Having hot water for showers is another issue, of course... we have continued to look into solar hot water systems, but haven't really found one we like yet.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »
We purposely always have a dual-fuel stove in our home, especially for this reason. Even if electricity is out, we can still cook on the stovetop with our propane. We also have our large propane tank linked to our grill, so outdoor cooking is also possible. We also will never have a home without a woodstove or wood fireplace insert again. Our current woodstove heats the entire house quite well, so we use very little electric heat, even in winter.

Having hot water for showers is another issue, of course... we have continued to look into solar hot water systems, but haven't really found one we like yet.

Same for me LvsChant, hot water is what we are short of in a power outage, but we do fine without, heat some for dishes on the woodstove, and for cleaning us too.

My solar hot water is disconnected at the moment, but for me, I always go power outages when there was no sun or low sun, in the winter, so the solar hot water saves money in the summer but was never helpful for when the power was out, of course, I never thought it would be. For a while, I had a hot water loop thru the wood stove, with the idea that when the sun wasnt out, I had a fire going. But my hot water tank is large compared to my wood stove water jacket capacity, and the long pipe run, so it never got the hot water tank hotter than the low 90's F . Now, if I were to plumb the water jacket to a small tank hanging over the woodstove, I would have hot water I could draw, and then carry, but I would worry that it could get too hot and be a hazard. So, I just put a pot of water now on the woodstove.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 01:34:52 PM »
  I have a GAS water heater and used it for bath and also 'cooking' some of my freeze dried foods during the tornado/power outage and had plenty of battery power lights though a hand cranked refrigerator might have been useful as it took all my Ham batteries to keep the fridge cool enough for 40 hours and I tied an inverter to my auto to run the fridge and charge my small house battery bank just a hour or two before power came back on.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »
  I have a GAS water heater and used it for bath and also 'cooking' some of my freeze dried foods during the tornado/power outage and had plenty of battery power lights though a hand cranked refrigerator might have been useful as it took all my Ham batteries to keep the fridge cool enough for 40 hours and I tied an inverter to my auto to run the fridge and charge my small house battery bank just a hour or two before power came back on.

Yes, gas works well when the electric is out.

My house does not have gas service, so no getting hot water that way !  although I do have various portable stoves that use various non-electric fuels.  One uses butane, one uses either white gas or unleaded gasoline, the rocket stove uses wood sticks. 

But, when the power is out, which is routine, I end up using plug in electric appliances, as I have alot of back up electric ( bread maker, electric kettle, toaster, I have a plug in induction burner I haven't used yet. etc....) or I just cook on the wood stove, as power almost always goes out in storms in the winter when I need the wood stove going. I have never bothered to use one of the other stoves in a power outage yet.  Once I had a power outage for a few days in the summer, maybe 3 days, and the sun was shining, so the solar recharged the batteries every day, so I made liberal use of all plug in appliances, and used the solar oven out on the deck.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 03:44:42 PM »
Yes, gas works well when the electric is out.

My house does not have gas service, so no getting hot water that way !  although I do have various portable stoves that use various non-electric fuels.  One uses butane, one uses either white gas or unleaded gasoline, the rocket stove uses wood sticks. 

But, when the power is out, which is routine, I end up using plug in electric appliances, as I have alot of back up electric ( bread maker, electric kettle, toaster, I have a plug in induction burner I haven't used yet. etc....) or I just cook on the wood stove, as power almost always goes out in storms in the winter when I need the wood stove going. I have never bothered to use one of the other stoves in a power outage yet.  Once I had a power outage for a few days in the summer, maybe 3 days, and the sun was shining, so the solar recharged the batteries every day, so I made liberal use of all plug in appliances, and used the solar oven out on the deck.

KARMA MM as you have this well in hand.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 10:25:40 AM »
Same for me LvsChant, hot water is what we are short of in a power outage, but we do fine without, heat some for dishes on the woodstove, and for cleaning us too.

Our wood boiler provides us with heat and domestic hot water. It has a 1100 gallon water jacket that is heated when we run the boiler. Usually only twice a week. Then the heat is pulled from that water for DHW and radiant heat. We need electricity to run the circulator pumps. But we have a wood stove to keep us warm when the electricity goes out. With a gravity fed water system from a 1200 gallon tank, we have tap water and hot water for a week without electricity. If we need to go longer than that, we can run the generator for 3-4 hours, pump the tank back full again, burn the wood boiler, and we are back in business for another week. If we are careful with how much we use, we can push it to two weeks.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 11:51:38 AM »
Our wood boiler provides us with heat and domestic hot water. It has a 1100 gallon water jacket that is heated when we run the boiler. Usually only twice a week. Then the heat is pulled from that water for DHW and radiant heat. We need electricity to run the circulator pumps. But we have a wood stove to keep us warm when the electricity goes out. With a gravity fed water system from a 1200 gallon tank, we have tap water and hot water for a week without electricity. If we need to go longer than that, we can run the generator for 3-4 hours, pump the tank back full again, burn the wood boiler, and we are back in business for another week. If we are careful with how much we use, we can push it to two weeks.

That sounds like a good system. You could easily stretch that water out if you realy needed to, I bet a month, unless you have alot of stock to water, if you needed to. But nice you can have business as usual for a week !

I also have a 1200 gallon, gravity fed, water tank. I usually boost the pressure so we can take showers upstairs, but if I think we are going to have an extended outage, I can flip the breaker off to conserve battery power for other uses.

Default for power off, what the battery power goes to is: well pump, stove and HW no power;  pressure pump, house lights,  most outlets powered. Due to the way the house was already wired before I put in the solar/battery back up means that we have lights everywhere except the downstairs bathroom (which has no window either ! ) and utility room, and most outlets means all outlets except none in the kitchen, downstairs bath, and hallway with the answering machine. So, modem/wifi stays powered, and if the power is off for more than 24 hours, I run an extension cord to the refrigerator. One day I will have that changed, as I have an extra breaker in the backup panel. The well pump can be switched over to battery back up by hand by undoing wire nuts in a box in the well house and connecting it to back up electric. Both water pumps are sized to run off the inverter.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »
I like the redundancy you have, MM. We are weak on the electricity issue... will look into solar with battery backup in the future...

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
That sounds like a good system. You could easily stretch that water out if you realy needed to, I bet a month, unless you have alot of stock to water, if you needed to. But nice you can have business as usual for a week !

I also have a 1200 gallon, gravity fed, water tank. I usually boost the pressure so we can take showers upstairs, but if I think we are going to have an extended outage, I can flip the breaker off to conserve battery power for other uses.

Default for power off, what the battery power goes to is: well pump, stove and HW no power;  pressure pump, house lights,  most outlets powered. Due to the way the house was already wired before I put in the solar/battery back up means that we have lights everywhere except the downstairs bathroom (which has no window either ! ) and utility room, and most outlets means all outlets except none in the kitchen, downstairs bath, and hallway with the answering machine. So, modem/wifi stays powered, and if the power is off for more than 24 hours, I run an extension cord to the refrigerator. One day I will have that changed, as I have an extra breaker in the backup panel. The well pump can be switched over to battery back up by hand by undoing wire nuts in a box in the well house and connecting it to back up electric. Both water pumps are sized to run off the inverter.

Thanks. We have about 80ft vertical elevation from our tank to our first floor. So we have plenty of water pressure. Right around 35psi.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
Lucretius,
  Do you have natural gas? You can use NG heaters that only needs a 9V battery. They put out about 15,000 BTUs
  Another way is a switch, 12V battery and power inverter. You can then switch from house mains to battery with the flip of a switch on the furnace. Out of sight out of mind. You can use the car to recharge the battery, replace every 5 years.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 12:26:31 PM »
  My car is over 14 years old....that's what is wrong as I can only get about 500 watts from it at idle with an inverter...I need a new car.