Author Topic: IF ANYTHING IS BROKEN, EMPTY YOUR BROWSER CACHE AND CHECK YOUR SETTINGS  (Read 6317 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
We updated the forum software on Friday 5/15/15.  Some people immediately reported display problems -- for example, the editor for posts and PMs has a very long line-length and doesn't word-wrap properly.

If you are seeing issues like this, please try emptying your browser cache.  How to do this varies from one browser to another, but generally you should look under "History" or "Settings", and look for an option marked "Clear recent history" or "Delete private data" or something similar.  You may also need to close and restart your browser.

(The problem here is that your cache is holding old versions of files that have been updated, CSS files in particular.  If this is the case, you're seeing the forum displayed as a jumble of old and new, and stuff looks broken.)

Also, we did lose some personal settings during the upgrade.  (Sorry about that.)  We believe all the lost settings are on your Look and Layout page.  Here's how to fix them:
  • In the top menu, click Profile.
  • Under Modify Profile, select Look and Layout.
  • Change your theme if you want, and check the other available settings listed.

If you are still having problems, check this topic:
Updated forum software! This is the place for bug reports and pleas for help
or one of the other topics in the Tech Support and Forum Bugs board.  Feel free to start your own topic if you can't find what you need.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: IF ANYTHING IS BROKEN, EMPTY YOUR BROWSER CACHE AND CHECK YOUR SETTINGS
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »
We updated the forum software on Friday 5/15/15. ...we did lose some personal settings during the upgrade.  (Sorry about that.)  We believe all the lost settings are on your Look and Layout page.  Here's how to fix them:
  • In the top menu, click Profile.
  • Under Modify Profile, select Look and Layout.
  • Change your theme if you want, and check the other available settings listed.

Much to my annoyance, I just noticed another profile setting that may have been lost during the May software upgrade. :banghead:

You might just want to open up your Profile, and take a look at all the settings under the Modify Profile submenu to make sure they're the way you want them.

The specific issue I just found is in the Personal Messaging section: "Save a copy of each personal message in my sent items by default."  I used to have that one checkmarked, but apparently it got un-checked during the upgrade, so I have no saved copies of any PMs I've sent for the past 5 months.  Dunno if this happened to everybody, but I assume it did.

Sorry about that, folks.  It was a nasty evil upgrade.