Author Topic: Yaesu FTM-400DR programmable with Chirp?  (Read 5460 times)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Yaesu FTM-400DR programmable with Chirp?
« on: May 25, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »
Just bought the rig in the title and I can't seem to find an answer to this question. I'd love to get this thing programmed and ready to go before I stick it in my jeep. I've had it out of the box for about half an hour and so far, it's awesome. We've got severe weather and a skywarn net going on so I haven't tried TXing yet. I'm not sure the homemade twinlead antenna I've got it on right now will do it justice anyway.  ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Yaesu FTM-400DR programmable with Chirp?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:26:37 PM »
You can MANUALLY program the radio quite easily as CHIRP (from the website) does not appear to program your radio.
I would also suggest NOT transmitting without ,at least,SWR meter testing of the antenna as you can do $100 damage real fast.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:32:39 PM »
I've manually programmed a couple of repeaters already. It's actually pretty easy, just more time consuming than chirp.  :(

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:55:07 PM »
I've manually programmed a couple of repeaters already. It's actually pretty easy, just more time consuming than chirp.  :(

I agree, I am spoiled with the software now...and waiting on the severe WX here in Shreveport La.

I found something....

http://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/1469
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:06:06 PM by Carl »

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »
Thanks Carl. I had found that link once before, but did not notice the bit about the FTM-400 patch in it before.  ;D Of course, it figures that I would have already programmed in nearly every frequency I am likely to use before finally seeing it......

Started on installing it this evening. Got a hole drilled in the roof and a new NMO mount installed. Went ahead and screwed an antenna on it since we will probably get more rain and I didn't have a cap(figured it would come with one....should have checked). Routed the coax and ran the power/ground wires. Tomorrow I'm going to run over to work and fab a bracket to mount it under the passenger seat. Might fab a bracket to mount the control head somewhere other than the dash too. Then I can finish the install other than soldering the 259 on the coax and checking SWR.

So far I have discovered one thing that I really dislike about it. There are two "Home" memory slots, one for each of the two "bands" on the display. When you switch from VFO to memory mode, and use the dial to select the memory, the "Home" memory is not available via the dial. You have to press the function button, which brings up a menu on the touch screen, and then tap the "home" button on the touch screen. It may be possible to change one of the four buttons on the touch screen, or the four programmable buttons on the mike to "home", but I didn't bother to look yet. If I find an easier way I will try to remember to update this thread.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 04:57:09 AM »
I am glad to hear it is working well for you and I think the HOME situation pretty much has to be with 14 button pushes to perform the simple task....these radios are just too smart for us . I have always leaned toward simple ....and find even SIMPLE can ,at times,be confusing.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »
Update: As I've used it a bit more, and read the manual a little more thoroughly, I've discovered that the "P2" programmable mic button will return the active band to the "home" memory. It can be changed to perform other functions, but that's how the factory shipped it.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 09:54:13 PM »
Even my modest FT2900r allows multiple banks of memories.  One idea being you can save multiple regions of repeaters in each bank so you can scan within a single bank. This would be handy for folks who regularly traveled across different regions.  You may also set memory channels to skip during scan, etc.

I do this while I drive and have 6 local repeaters constantly scanning until the squelch opens up and it stops so I can listen.