Author Topic: Best camping hammocks for 2 people?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
Best camping hammocks for 2 people?
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:45:54 AM »
Hey, long time no see TSP crew.  Been hella busy with life lately, but I was in the market for a good hammock camping setup for two and figured you guys would be exactly the people to ask.

So, are there any really good all-in-one hammock tent setups for a fair price, or is the separate Hammock, tarp, netting setup a better option?  Favorite brands? Models?  Share your tips and tricks people!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:13:46 AM by PistolWhipped »

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
Re: Best camping hammocks for 2 people?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 02:18:34 PM »
I have seen doubles before, but they just don't look comfortable to me. I can't imagine sleeping well in a hammock with two people. Every time my wife moved, she'd wake me up. Heck, sharing a tree is irritating enough! My vote is definitely for two separate hammocks.

I think I completely misread your post. I blame lack of sleep. My wife and I rock Hennessy Hammocks. I have a safari and she has a scout. We upgraded the suspension system with my quick-up setup and haven't looked back. From a kit POV, we added the larger rain fly (I think it was called a hex fly at the time) and a sportsman's blanket as a ground cloth/under pad. In the colder months, we use a heated tipi.
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline em ty

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 02:39:18 PM »
I'll second the Hennessy Hammock.  I've had one for a few years and the only downside I have is that I can't have my dogs in it with me, otherwise both my daughter and I would use them for canoe trips and hiking.  We use a Big Agnes 3 person tent but always carry the hammock.  I sleep far better in it than in a tent and we fight over who gets to use it. 

I got the snakesskins with it and like them, but I would like a larger fly.  I don't have any issue with the velcro seal, though I did need to get in and out a couple of times before I got the hang of it. 

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:11:04 PM »
Double hammocks are great for cuddling and looking at the night sky, but crap for sleeping. I would get separate hammocks for sleeping.

I use an eno hammock, there are a lot a nicer hammocks out there, but I have never felt the need to upgrade. The separate rain fly, bug net, and hammock, give more options, and don't take much longer to set up. If its not forecast to rain, and looks like the forecast is accurate, I forgo the rain fly. If the bugs aren't bothering me, I forgo the bug net, etc.

Kelty makes a hammock tent that is compatable with any camping style hammock that can be set up open like a big rain fly, or put into storm mode where it envelopes you and your hammock. I'm sure other makers have similar options.

Personally, I carry and use several nylon backpackers tarps I bought at Walmart for like $7 each, and set them depending on the situation as wind breaks, rain fly, double layer rain fly, etc.

A gear sling is something I have debated getting. It is basically a little hammock that suspends your gear under your hammock, keeping it off the ground, and within reach.

Get the tree friendly straps. They are simpler to use than tying ropes, and on most state and national forest lands they are required.

A link to a hammock comparison and review:
http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Hammock-Reviews