Author Topic: Potassium Iodide  (Read 17352 times)

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
Re: Potassium Iodide
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 07:25:31 PM »
I used to work in naval nuclear propulsion; there are a few of us around the board.  No reactor guy I know bothers with KI pills, either Navy or civilian, for themselves or their families.  My wife's boss, another former Navy nuke, civilian reactor tech, and now state legislator, lives a handful of miles from his old employer, the Calvert Cliffs nuclear plant.  He doesn't have them for himself or his family.  Why?

OK, there's a major radioactive material release, and you're exposed to it, and you cram yourself full of KI pills.  Result:  you don't get thyroid cancer.  You do, however, get leukemia, lung cancer, and/or liver cancer.  So much better!

Clearly you are more knowledgeable than I on the subject, but I'm confused because I've read that the primary concern isn't necessarily thyroid cancer protection but rather thyroid ablation protection. I.e. radioactive iodine concentrates in your thyroid and basically kills it so it no longer produces thyroid hormone, or at least not enough anyway. So you would get hypothyroidism within weeks of getting your thyroid full of radioactive iodine instead of stable iodine. According to my research this method is precisely the way hyperthyroidism is treated to cause hypothyroidism and then have the subject rely on synthetic thyroid hormones for life.

If all this is true, I know I certainly would not want to be dealing with the symptoms of hypothyroidism after TSHTF: fatigue, weakness, cold intolerance, depression, constipation, irritability, memory loss, etc. And to top it all off the only way to resolve the situation is to take a pill every day for the rest of your life, one that you most likely have not stocked up on and will not be available unless/until society rights itself again. Temporary use of KI pills sounds a lot better than that.

Of course, if you can avoid exposure completely that'd be even better...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:32:51 PM by Dainty »

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 08:38:48 AM »
131I, the isotope in question, has a half-life of 8 days, and it's a relatively common fission product, resulting from about 2.8% of all uranium atoms fissioning.  Let's say a crude, terrorist nuclear weapon gets detonated 10 miles from your home, with roughly the same yield as Little Boy.  Little Boy contained 64kg of uranium, of which less than a kilogram fissioned.  We'll give our terrorists the benefit of some Russian nuclear expertise, and say that they managed to get the same explosive yield with only half the uranium, but roughly the same fission result.  So, 900 grams of uranium go "pop."  Of that, 2.8% becomes radioiodine, and because it's a fission product, you actually end up with even less mass (an atom of radioiodine is just over half as heavy as an atom of uranium), so you get a total of 14 grams of radioiodine which gets scattered *all over the gorram place* -- and largely up -- by the explosion.  Thyroid ablation takes place around .4 micrograms of radioiodine in highly absorbable form (like sodium iodide made with 131), so you're looking at needing to absorb something like 1 in every 2.9x10^8 atom of radioiodine produced in the explosion.  Doesn't sound like much, but, again, this stuff is scattered all over Hell's half-acre by a titanic explosion.

I can't find references in the literature to thyroid ablation being a common consequence of Chernobyl or Hiroshima/Nagasaki.  Thyroid cancers, particularly in children, were definitely made more common by being downwind of the explosions, but that's true of damn near every kind of cancer.  Stay away from things that concentrate iodine, like fish and seaweed and milk, after a detonation or fuel release, and GTFO.

Offline nyhomesteader

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
Ok, i see that many of you are in the running for the Nobel prise, and I have learned a few things, but maybe you can dumb this down for the rest of us.

Do we bother with the pills or just say our prayers? ;)

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 09:45:56 AM »
Like I said earlier, no reactor guy I personally know bothers with 'em, Naval or civilian.  If it makes you feel better, go ahead  -- they're cheap and don't take up much space -- but they're a one-trick pony whose trick isn't even all that great.

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 10:01:33 AM »
Thanks for the info, AADR.

I suppose if nothing else you could stock up and then charge a premium for them when TSHTF and the masses panic.

Oh, I forgot, FEMA would just come in and steal it.

Or once word gets out you'll be mobbed for it while the looters grab a few other things on their way out.

Never mind.

Offline tech132

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 11:05:53 AM »
I keep potassium iodide in my BOB at home, and in my GHB in my car. I live and work in between 2 nukes to the north of me and 2 nukes to the south of me.

Offline Ronnie53

• Prepper
Potassium Iodide 130mg
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
When taken goes to your Thyroid to block the radiation from accumulating there causing thyroid cancer.
 Might not be a bad idea to order some.  I did.
Got mine from> ww.bestpricenutrition.com

Surviving Radioactive Fallout & Radiation Contamination from Japan, Iran or North Korea>

http://www.ki4u.com/illwind.htm

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: Potassium Iodide 130mg
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
Shelf life?

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
Re: Potassium Iodide 130mg
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
Shelf life?

Depends on type and location, but 5-10 years is recommended.

Offline Guerre

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 08:56:15 PM »

Exposures greater than 500 cGy:
    Adults over 40 yrs - 130 mg.

Which is why I haven't bothered to buy any KI for myself (late 40's) or my wife (early 50's).  Pretty much useless for us old folks.

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2011, 05:42:23 AM »
Interesting.....I think Camping Survival just upped their Potassium Iodate by $5 since yesterday......I'm pretty sure it was $14.95.  That is about a 30% increase.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/mecopoiok190.html

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 01:28:15 PM »

I just bought 90 tablets of high potency chewable multi vitamin and mineral  formula from Trader Joe's grocery store. Each tablet contains 150 mg of Potassium Iodide = %100 recommended daily dosage .. 

Offline nyhomesteader

• Prepper
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
I just bought 90 tablets of high potency chewable multi vitamin and mineral  formula from Trader Joe's grocery store. Each tablet contains 150 mg of Potassium Iodide = %100 recommended daily dosage .. 
check the label on that again...it's probably 150mcg(micrograms)good for daily supplement.
a thyroid blocking dose is in mg's(milligrams). if it is 150mg i would be a bit leary taking them daily! ???

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Stay away from things that concentrate iodine, like fish and seaweed and milk, after a detonation or fuel release, and GTFO.
And anything that grows out of the ground, or eats anything that grows out of the ground in an area that experienced fallout recently...good luck with that if you live there.

While I would suspect that nuclear workers would not worry about I131 exposure for the obvious reason you sight, I'm pretty sure KI is not intended as use for nuclear workers as prophylaxis, much in the same way that a radiation blocking lead suit would be silly for everyone to wear 100 miles downwind from the plant.  KI would be suitable as prophylaxis for them, and I'm pretty sure that there are a lot more people that live downwind from a nuclear reactor than actuallly work in the reactors.  I don't think they are saying that if you take KI you will be invincable against a direct hit from a nuclear bomb, and to downplay its possible use to reduce uptake of I131 is just arrogant.