Author Topic: 2 meter Go-Bag Antenna. Suggestions wanted.  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
2 meter Go-Bag Antenna. Suggestions wanted.
« on: July 18, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »
Putting together a 2 meter go-bag.  It will consist of 2 meter Icom handheld, 1400 mha rechargeable battery, charger, AA dry-cell battery box, two sets of AA batteries, 12 volt cigar plug adapter.  I am putting this in a military tool bag which is roughly 5 x 5 x 14.  Now to my stumbling block.  I need an antenna that I can stow away either inside or outside of the bag. 

I would like some suggestion on a build or bought antenna.  I would love a directional antenna but I don't know if I have the room.  I may wind up with a G-plane or dipole.......  Thanks in advance for your help.
David

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: 2 meter Go-Bag Antenna. Suggestions wanted.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 04:04:54 PM »
Check out the N9TAX Slim Jim

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:21:57 PM »
I agree with the slim jim ,or a mag mount mobile antenna (it will work on most any metal object)
or the BIG Stick antenna I build and give free how to make your own as either roll-up or mast antenna.

Remember : The antenna is very important for good radio performance,nearly more important than the radio.

Big Stick     http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=49762.0

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 05:26:09 AM »
Check out the N9TAX Slim Jim.

It's what's in my HT go Bag!  A real knock-out product!

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 05:44:10 AM »
A real knock-out product!

And so cheap (cost wise, it's well constructed), I bought three, all with the extra 16' of coax. An SMA dual band for my FT-60, a PL-259 for my FT-2900, and a BNC dually for my FT-817.  Beats the rubber ducky on the scanner, too.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »
On field day we had a workshop where we taught folks how to make their own  N9TAX style roll up Jpoles.  Depending on parts you have on hand it'll cost $0-15 to make.

I will say that you should have a plan as to what frequency you want to optimize for.   This style of antenna is not convenient, but is a fine alternative when a rubber duck won't cut the mustard.
Given that use case, if you know what end of the 2 meter band you mostly plan to use, it could be worth your time to tune accordingly.

Remember, lower frequency means longer antenna length and vice versa.  So you can trim the length off a jpole tuned to 144mhz to tune  it for 147mhz, but the opposite is more awkward.

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »
If I go with the N9TAX roll up Jpole, and I believe I will.  My plans were to order the 16' coax and put a small roll of cordage in my go-bag.  I could then toss a rock or whatever over a limb with the cord attached, tie onto the ladder line and hoist it up as high a possible.
David

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 02:22:09 PM »
If I go with the N9TAX roll up Jpole, and I believe I will.  My plans were to order the 16' coax and put a small roll of cordage in my go-bag.  I could then toss a rock or whatever over a limb with the cord attached, tie onto the ladder line and hoist it up as high a possible.
David

Yes, do the 16' and Add the BNC on the end, it's quick and easy.  In addition to some paracord, toss you a few cheapie D-rings to clip up if you like

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 07:41:21 PM »
  I would think how high you get the antenna is more important then the gain of the antenna. So a J-Pole and small mast is a good idea for go bags. Remember the higher you go the better the co-ax you want, to minimize loss. If you can afford it, RG 240 is a real good choice. For 16 feet it does not matter, but 50 to 100 feet it does.
  I had a friend at work we called radio free Fred. He had co-ax at five or six outposts around the plant going to the roof. He used a number of J-Poles on the roof for his HT's. So when he worked over time he could talk on his radio till they needed him.