Author Topic: A 'Prep' item that I rarely hear about  (Read 3369 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
A 'Prep' item that I rarely hear about
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:08:38 PM »
I heard about these on an audio show by Uncle Richard's on beyondtheordinary.net..
Body bags. A rather grim item, but could be a necessity if/when things really go bad.

One site that sells them:
TCP-1B Protector body bag is a new disposable body bag constructed of a proprietary formula poly.
http://www.seaservices.com/t/

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
Re: A 'Prep' item that I rarely hear about
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:11 PM »
Thats rough, Archer.  I don't know if I could bring myself to make that purchase.

Offline union hill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:38:44 PM »
Geez, just when you think it can't get more morose, scroll to the end of the page and reach "infant"  :-[

Goatdog62

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:00:41 AM »
I've a couple, hope they never get used..

It can be a concern if post-SHTF zombies are piling up. Burning is usually incomplete. Burying with quicklime a little better. Making a catapult and flinging them at ACLU gatherings would be funnest. ;D

Offline Buffy

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 07:21:47 AM »
Interesting thought, but what would you do after you bag one?  Unlikely that there will be an organized collection of bodies.  If there were, the collectors would probably have bags.  In the event it was a family member you might want something less impersonal like a blanket.  I have put people in body bags...its pretty creepy, and they don't keep very long without refrigeration.

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
Good post there Archer.  +1 from me. People don't like to think about death, but it is part of life. No matter how grim, we need to also be prepared for this part as well, and so that is why I have a folder labled  " Death and Funeral Arts " in my preparedness Notebooks.

Here are a few sites that I have in them.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2226696_build-funeral-pyre.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

http://www.squidoo.com/coffin%20

http://dying.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Build_a_Coffin

How we handle death is at least as important as how we handle life. Back in high school, we had a class that one of the social studies teachers  put together called  simply......." DEATH ".

It covered all aspects of death and dying, and gave everyone that took the class, insight into the world of human death and the Funeral Arts. We don't like to think about or own deaths, or even the death of a loved one, but we all will die sometime, and this is something that all survivalists and preppers should consider as part of their survival skill set.

We need information on subjects even such as these, so that when the time comes to put these into practice, we will know what needs to be done, as well as how to do what is needed.   :)

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »
Tim, that is some pretty heavy stuff, and I comend you on your preps.

But i couldn't build a coffin for my son.  I am not so blind to think we will all live forever.  i have all the financial instraments to prepare for the end.  My wife and I have already picked out or funeral arangements (and we are in our thirties).

But body bags and coffins are not part of my preps.  I would volunteer if needed at the local school, church, or where ever they might make a make-shift morge.  But I won't stock body bags.  Just gives me the creeps.

dwkreis

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 09:00:17 AM »
I've seen some of infantry types use them as sleeping bags. I guess as a way to multi task, or just to be morbid  ;). Although I guess it was kinda practical as untill we started getting issued the Gortex sleeping bag system you really could not use your sleeping bag in a wet environment without getting soaked.

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 09:15:13 AM »
You are right, I have never thought about it. From what I heard from my uncle (R.I.P) the Fire Chief, it takes a lot of heat a long time to completely burn a body. You dont just set it on some logs fire it up and walkaway. You neet to be adding fuel for a while. Not something I could do knowing it was my wife or kid. I would need to dig a hole and be done with it.

On a side and almost unrelated note.

I was at Kobahr towers about 2 weeks after the bombing. As the FNG, it was my job to start up and shut down all of the TF1's on the perimiter. There was razor wire around where the hole was and I would have to move it to get to some of the lights. One day I was refueling them and noticed a really cool looking wooden box. I am a pack rat by nature and was thinking of what I could store in it and how I would get it home. I walked over to it and was going to open it untill I read the top.

"Body Bags 20Ea."

Needless to say the box stayed there. I think that effected me more than looking at the building and some of the "stains" that several coats of paint had failed to cover. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 10:58:44 AM »
It's a serious topic, and I don't know how I'd handle that type of situation myself.....

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:31:05 PM »
Body bags aren't something I stock, but now that I think about it, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a dozen or so.

I've worked a few crime scenes & BB's make clean up a breeze.  Especially when there are pieces to gather....sorry, but it beats a trash bag or a rubbermaid bin, both of which I've had to improvise with.

Digging holes is quite labor intensive & I'd rather fill a body bag, pitch in some lime to keep the smell down & then file away for later burying, if the immediate situation prevented burying.  It's going to be much easier to move a body & keep it together when it's in the throes of biological breakdown if it's well contained in a bag, than it's going to be to try & move one that hasn't been contained.  It's much less messy.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 10:53:18 PM »
To perhaps be "crude", in a long-term crisis, or a new era of low energy, low resources, the important aspect regarding bodies is how fast you can get them safely decomposed and back into the growing medium...

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 10:59:38 PM »
Maybe a shovel and some lye will do...
 ;D