Author Topic: Storage ideas  (Read 4133 times)

Offline 1960paco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Storage ideas
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
i have limited space and was wondering if  anyone had ideas i could use. basically live in an older house with 2 small bed rooms that share one long closet with a kitchen attached to the living room

nkawtg

Re: Storage ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 03:43:12 PM »
We have cases of food behind the couch, in closets, in the pantry.
Take a look at YouTube for a can rotator behind the couch video.
Lots of ideas can be found on YouTube and on Forums such as this.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 03:55:35 PM »
A raised bed is in style and holds many 5 gallon buckets or stacked cans. Line the closet floor with a layer of cans too so the boogie man has no place to hide.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 04:05:13 PM »
Any usable property around? You could build some storage or dig a cellar.

Offline 1960paco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 09:25:44 AM »
i do have a garage i was going to put shelves up but even that has limited space after all my equipment and tools are all put up. was thinking maybe getting rubbermaid tubs for the small shed out back. i was unsure since its an old rusty  with no does

nkawtg

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 09:31:06 AM »
Unless your garage is always cool, as in never gets above 70 degrees then storing food in critter proof containers is fine.
The higher the temp, the shorter the shelf life.
I can't store much in my garage because it can get very hot during the summer.
Once I forgot about candles in my camping box, what a mess...
Storing gear is fine, just no food.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 01:02:44 PM »
If you have 2x4 stud interior walls, it's fairly easy to put shelves in the walls, between the studs. Easier if you don't have drywall. Just cut the paneling on center and then use that for your doors.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »
Dont forget the trick of moving your bed 1 ft away from the wall (a 5 gallon bucket is I think about 1 ft diameter) and making a stack there 2 buckets tall. so, 6 buckets long is what you get, then if 2 buckets high, that is 12 buckets. 12 buckets is 3 months of staple foods ( 10 buckets should be grains, like rolled oats, rice, wheat and the other 2 buckets beans) for 4 people ! And, it only took moving the bed 1 ft away from the wall.

This leaves under the bed for other preps. Or, if you use 5 gallon buckets to support your bed, as Carl mentioned, a full sized bed can cover 24 buckets.

I cut an access hole to the crawlspace under the house in the closet floor. There can be more than 12 or 24 buckets there, even in a small house, and the temperature there is more moderate.

Offline 1960paco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 10:46:16 PM »
I like the idea of raising the bed but how do i do it? Just lay the box frame on it? Won't it crush the buckets? Is there anywhere i can find an article or more info about it

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:46:39 AM »
I like the idea of raising the bed but how do i do it? Just lay the box frame on it? Won't it crush the buckets? Is there anywhere i can find an article or more info about it

There are a big number of RISERS to raise a bed and also storage boxes for under bed and under furniture storage.
RISERS: 
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_xo_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=bed+risers&sprefix=bed+riser%2Celectronics%2C164&rh=n%3A1055398%2Ck%3Abed+risers

Determine how high you want to go and buy ,or make your own risers...or as I do with 5 gallon pails ....pails fit within the frame and a plywood on top supports the box springs and mattress.