Author Topic: Be prepared for personal shtf.  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Yaya500

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Be prepared for personal shtf.
« on: October 11, 2015, 01:53:01 AM »
I lost my husband this year after a 2 year fight with cancer. Listening to Jack's podcast and reading other people's posts here on the forum had encouraged me for several years to prepare for things that are most likely.  I am so thankful that we had plenty of food stored up, that we had some savings in the bank, that we had insurance, and that we had discussed end-of-life issues. Without these things in place, I don't know what I would have done. You hear about something like this happening to people every day, but when it happens to you, your whole world stops.  I am slowly getting back into a routine, and I just want to remind all the good people on this forum that it is the mundane things, the boring things, like insurance and savings in the bank, that will most likely be what we need to get us through a personal shtf. 

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Be prepared for personal shtf.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 05:21:45 AM »
so sorry for you Loss, But Glad your still with us, Thanks for the update.
Keebler.in southern,Va.

Offline AZDuffman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:43:17 AM »

Sorry for your loss but kudos for being prepared the right way.  Loss of loved one, job loss, sickness; these are what we need to prep for first.  Won't get you on TV, but will let you get past the disaster.

Offline Yaya500

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 02:47:20 PM »
Thank you for the kind words, guys.  There is one more thing I would like to point out to everyone.  Do not feel like you have to spend $10,000 or more on a funeral.  I think many times people get taken advantage of by funeral reps. because we do not make good decisions during a time of grief.  It is extremely important to talk about this stuff beforehand, and as hard and awkward as it may seem, the surviving family members will be certain that they are doing things according to the wishes of their loved one who died.  There is an organization called the Funeral Consumers Alliance, and they have chapters all over the country.  They are a group of volunteers who can give guidance about which funeral homes charge reasonable rates.  We called them before my husband died, and they sent us a whole packet of information about the different funeral homes in our area, along with pricing.  In addition, they sent us all of the important legal documents such as Powers of Attorney, Physicians Directives, and many others for us to fill out ahead of time in case we needed these in the hospital.  There were even forms for writing in detail exactly what you want done with remains, so that everyone knows the wishes of the person. The lady I spoke to was extremely helpful; like I said, they are volunteers.  Because of all this, I ended up paying a small fraction of the cost of a typical funeral.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 02:49:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story and thanks for sharing your advice about funerals.  Your first "karma point" comes from me.   :)

Offline Yaya500

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »
Thank you Ms. Albatross!  I have always wanted to be more active here, just haven't had much free time.  But I want to make it a point to get a little more involved in the good conversations here, mainly because I can tell there are many good folks that gather here.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 04:06:24 PM »
Karma from me, as well.

Offline Yaya500

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
Thanks Freelancer!  It feels good to be back in the world of the living, so to speak.  I sort of dropped out of alot of stuff for a few years, but I feel like I need to get back into the swing of things.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 05:10:31 PM »
+1 from me as well. Glad you prepped.

Cedar

Offline Yaya500

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 06:58:09 PM »
Thank you Cedar! Hopefully i can gain some more knowledge by checking in here often. There is so much good info. from all you guys.