Author Topic: Lemon Balm  (Read 1698 times)

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
Lemon Balm
« on: May 17, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »
Wife just potted some lemon balm. Smells just fantastic, part of the mint family with a citrus scent. Good for tea, garnish and in sauces and bastes I hear. Anyone have any experience with this herb?

Offline PeteG

• Prepper
Re: Lemon Balm
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »
We have a small patch in our herb garden. We dry a lot of it over the summer and use in teas. One recipe I saw you stuff a jar with lemon balm leaves, other mint leaves, thyme leaves, and two slices of lemon; add water & put in the fridge overnight; suppose to make a good tea to protect from mountain sickness. It is also traditionally considered a longevity drug. In herbal medicine it is considered a relaxant & calming agent.

~Pete

All information is given for entertainment purposes, so if you mess up, you are responsible for yourself, even if the government tells you it is not your fault....

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 11:29:57 AM »
Lemon balm works well in the shade of my Feijoa tree. The are the best of friends. LB is a favorite of mine for salads and beverages, cold and hot. Its reputation for antibacterial and antiviral make it additionally attractive. It also gets along with mints, very well. The Spring flowers are a plus. The bees love them.

Offline Sid

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »
I started a little bed of perennial herbs three years ago.  The lemon balm did well; too well.  It has takes over and tries to crowd out some of the other plants, and even spread to adjacent areas.  It is extremely aggressive, so take this into consideration when you decide where to put it.

We use it with several other herbs and butter to use as a sauce for some fish and chicken dishes.  In our climate here in Missouri it does better than Lemon Verbena (which has a similar aroma) because the lemon balm comes back every spring while the Lemon Verbena does not make it through the winter outdoors. 

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »
Found a nice website with some information and a few recipes to share http://oldfashionedliving.com/lemonbalm.html

I cut my plant back as the main branches were wilted and never did recover from too much sun when we had it outside. So if you plant this make sure it doesnt get too hot and sunny for it. :-)

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »
I believe it is also a mosquito repellant.

I use it for chicken with pepper.