Author Topic: Our Florida Garden  (Read 4494 times)

Ebbtide

Our Florida Garden
« on: October 22, 2008, 06:36:09 AM »
It is a small garden 14'X16' but we garden very intensively and yield alot. In this small area we grew carrots, onions, tomatoes, okra, cucumbers, beans, peppers both bell and banana as well as 2 types of squash.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Our Florida Garden
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:33:37 AM »
Oh nice setup! What animals do you stop with the chicken wire?

Ebbtide

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:31:48 PM »
Thank you. The wire was put into place mainly to keep our dog from trampling and pissing on the garden but it did a great job on the rabbits as well.

edibleyards

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:25:56 AM »
That looks great! Looks like you've got a little drip setup going, as well. So many people complain about Florida gardens, saying "It can't be done!", but all you have to do is build up your soil, and in rural areas, you may have decent soil in places if the land hasn't been all farmed out.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:40:11 AM by edibleyards »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »
I'm going to have to cover my garden to keep my cats out of it. They dug up and killed the squash/zucchini this summer. And I saw a possum for the first time at my back window eating the cat food.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »
Nice, looks like a good setup for efficiency.

Ebbtide

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 08:43:23 AM »
Ok, I was inspired to do some blue berry's last weekend so I used this years veggie box to do them in. I went with 3 different variety's to try and ensure a good crop every year. Being in North Florida it's hard to predict if we will have a mild or not so mild winter. I planted 2 southern variety's and 2 colder climate variety's.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »
Ok, I was inspired to do some blue berry's last weekend so I used this years veggie box to do them in. I went with 3 different variety's to try and ensure a good crop every year. Being in North Florida it's hard to predict if we will have a mild or not so mild winter. I planted 2 southern variety's and 2 colder climate variety's.

Yeah I hear ya Ebbtide about trying to predict Florida winters.  My Dad lives in Cedar Grove FL (outskirts of Panama City, FL) and does "tractor work" for his friends and neighbors and depending on what he referrs to as "the winter gamble".  Some years he works his butt off on his tractor in the late fall early winter months if they "gamble" on a mild winter in the panhandle.  We went down there several Christmases ago and he was down the road plowing up a garden spot for a neighbor on Christmas Day.  He loves that John Deere!  Nice garden btw!

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!