Author Topic: Heater Recommendations Needed  (Read 5294 times)

Offline 1960paco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Heater Recommendations Needed
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »
Im looking to get a space heater for our living room and one for our bedroom and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as the wife doesn't want it to look ugly haha. Id like it to be energy efficient so if need be i can run out on the generator and unfortunately we rent so a wood stove is out of the question right now. Any recommendations works be awesome

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Heater Recommendations Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
I just picked up one of those propane buddy heaters to use for when my mother in law says she is cold at my house we have fired it up a few times and it seems to work well. Might be just the ticket for what you are looking at doing

Offline SYCABO

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 09:30:41 PM »
Warning: This is based on 2-3 year old research... Design changes might have altered what's really out there by now.

The radiant heaters are supposed to be the most energy efficient.  They work by heating up themselves and using convection to warm the room, similar to the way a masonry or rocket mass heater does.  That means poor short term heat, but much better long term at warming up a room.  When we get wood heat for the main living room, I would like to get a few radiant heaters for the rest of the house during winter...  much better than running the house's heater all winter.

The typical heating element heaters with the fans turn on, push heat out, and then turn themselves off after a certain heat level is reached.  They are best at (as mentioned by marine) helping warm up a member of the family that needs the extra heat.  My wife and I have 2 of the fan heater types.  One is a small, sharp looking little fan heater that we got from walmart.  I just dug around for a good track record of reliability and went with that.  It blows evenly out in all directions around it, and upwards.  For it's size, it will sweat you out of a room in 3-4 hours that was 40-45 degrees when you turned it on.  We left our bedroom the first night we used it and slept on the couch the rest of the night! It was about $30 or so, and we also got a "utility" heater, same basic type, that does essentially the same thing, but it blows in one specific direction. They tend to noisy!

There is a 3rd type, that I do not have much knowledge about, and no experience with, the infrared heaters.  Hopefully someone that knows something about those can chime in.'

I can't really speak to stuff like the propane-fueled stuff, though I would heavily research before putting something like that indoors.

How running things like this would work with a generator, I couldn't say, but if I were banking on using space heaters for heat in a major power outage, I'd put the money back and setup a battery bank with inverter and a couple of the Renegy 100 watt panels from Amazon, and just setting up a living room "base camp" til power came back on using "probably" the radiant type.  I tried, but couldn't convince my wife to go for it, but I about have her on board with getting a wood stove installed...  I just wish I could've talked her into it 3 or 4 months ago when I had a chance to get a Fisher.

Good luck with the decision!

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:40:23 AM »
I shy away from Kerosene and propane heaters cos prolonged use will leave you with a distict odor and soem grim on the ceilings/walls.

There is a 3rd type, that I do not have much knowledge about, and no experience with, the infrared heaters.  Hopefully someone that knows something about those can chime in.'

I have researched them and was about to isntall them in the apartment i lease (because -due to room pecularities- it required placing 2 elements on the ceiling. Like they must not face windows. And they must be 2 feet away from surfaces, since radiation is very strong close, and weaker the further you go.
Also, in long term use, the IR elements warm the walls and make them radiate back. But thsi requires  real mass (stone or brick) and a GOOD insulation behind the wall.

Functinally, consider them them a mass radiant heater, But in their case it is not the mass that is heated to radiate, the elements radiate themselves. Which makes them more efficient.
For casuall use and specific instances I would suggest them. Like having some free wallspace to mount them opposite a bead.

Economics.
You will have balance cost of electricity to that of your main heat source.
Also they say that IR heating gives you an edge of several degrees because the person is heated directly over the convection methods.

the you must balance their higher buying and lower operating cost to that of the cheap electrical mounted heaters. Lower buying and higher operating cost.
A friendly couple wanted 2-3 more hours of heat in the living room at night, and chose the latter.
thinsg might be different heating for -say 6 hours- a non heated room. You got to sit down with pen and paper and factor hours used around the eyar for a number of years

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 06:28:47 AM »
Most efficient for a bedroom to keep you warm while sleeping is an electric mattress pad. 

Other "outside the box" heater we used to use was a pig mat.  It is basically an electric floor mat, but built heavy enough to put it a hog barn to keep the baby pigs warm.  Much better to stand on than a cold tile floor in the bathroom. There are similar things sold for dogs, but they are not heavy duty enough to stand on.  The hog versions are indestructible.

Either option is only a hundred watts or so.  Any other heater will be about all a small generator can do, as in maybe not even an extra light.  Definitely not the fridge at the same time. 

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 09:45:43 AM »
IR heater panels range at 300-800Watts and no more than 1200W

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
These types of oil filled heaters are generally the most efficient.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Heaters-Space-Heaters/Oil-Filled/N-5yc1vZc4lhZ1z0wayi

When my boiler broke back when I was living in Queens, I used one of the modern kerosene heaters. The only time they smelled was when I filled them or, briefly, when they were turned off. Otherwise there was no smell. I prefer the kerosene ones to the oil filled ones because they put out a lot of heat quickly. I did not let them run overnight, even though they had an oxygen sensor. We used an oil type for the bedroom overnight, till we got a nice comforter.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-23-000-BTU-Kerosene-Portable-Heater-DH2304/100045793

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:25:12 AM »
i have one of those electric oil filled ones,  they take a while to heat up, but they hold the heat longer and heat a room nicely.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »
i have one of those electric oil filled ones,  they take a while to heat up, but they hold the heat longer and heat a room nicely.
Agree.  I have one of these.  It takes a long time to heat up and it is surprisingly noisy.  There's no moving parts or anything, but while it's heating up, there is a lot of popping and crackling.  I'm not completely sure why they do this, but all that I've used do this.  It is completely silent once it's heated up.

As for the buddy heaters, they are one of the very few small propane heaters that are rated to be used inside without venting.  I have one of these also and it works wonderfully.  It lights easily and heats a smaller room very well.

I also have a ceramic heater with a fan.  This works really well to heat a room up fairly quickly.  But it's noisy with fan running constantly.  I usually use this one if I'm going to work in a cold room and will only be in there for an hour or less.  It has a thermostat on it, but you can't really set a temperature.  You just turn the dial between cool and hot.

Last one that I have is an electric baseboard heater that's about 2 foot long.  It works well for heat, but I don't really like it.  It doesn't have a fan, so it doesn't heat a room quickly.  It doesn't have the oil reservoir, so it isn't efficient at holding the heat.  I'll still use it on occasion, but it is my least favorite.

With heat, keep in mind that even a small heater is a power hog.  Each of these electric heaters is 1500 watt max.  So you likely won't be running a bunch of these off your generator.  You'll end up turning on one for a little while, then turning it back off.  The oil filled heater is the only one of the electrics that will keep heating for a while after turning the power to it off.

Offline 12th man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »
oil filled radiator style for sure. safe, reliable (as long as you dont go too cheap. get a 1500 watt one, ~$50 now, you can pick them up for $30 after the cold season). i had to heat my whole house with plug ins last year. the radiators worked great and still do, one is 4 years old or more. all the fan style ones died.

Offline lastchance83

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »
I got the big brother to the buddy propane heater.  It is 30,000 btu.  I live in a small 1200 sq ft two story house.  I cut 3 small 6x10 vents into the upstairs floor.  One vent for each bedroom.  There is no vents for the furnace in my upstairs and had to always run small electric heaters to heat the bedroom's.  I live in Northeast Ohio and have no wind brake to my west and north side of this old farm house with old windows upstairs.

I purchased the heater initially to supplement the propane furnace.  Its the other way around now.  I heat my entire house with it.  That and a couple small fans to help blow some air through the vents.  Last year was one of the coldest I remember here.  It was the warmest my upstairs has ever been in the winter.  No more electric heaters.  I also cut my propane consumption almost in half. 

Also to note it has a small blower fan on it but you do not need to use it or have the heater plugged in for it to heat.  You can buy hose attachments to run off of 500 gal house feed which I have or you can also buy hose attachments to connect to 20 gallon tanks or even the small 1lb tanks.  I do recommend you purchase good carbon monoxide detectors if you don't already have them.  Also I forgot to mention there is two style's.  Standard blue flame and an infrared type.  Mine is the infrared.   30,000 btu is 30,000 but the heat you get will feel different.  Good luck and stay warm

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 09:17:28 PM »
Big Buddy Propane heaters are great if your power is out and you have no generator.  Or to heat a tent or shop.  I've used it in the house and it's not ideal for that but great as a backup heat source.

When you say efficient that can mean different things.  My panel heaters like this http://www.delonghi.com/en-us/products/comfort/portable-heating/mica-heater/mica-thermic-hmp1500-0112404000 heat an area very quickly (time efficiency) but they draw high wattage when doing so.  I love these heaters they look good and heat you quickly when you enter a space and turn them on.