Author Topic: Even the Oregon Patriots use Baofeng radios  (Read 15707 times)

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
Even the Oregon Patriots use Baofeng radios
« on: January 09, 2016, 09:44:44 PM »

Check out his vest just below his left shoulder (right side of the picture}

Can't quite make out the frequency...

Jerseyboy

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
Re: Even the Oregon Patriots use Baofeng radios
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »

Two more radios.

Jerseyboy

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 10:03:35 PM »
Last time in Nevada they were using 14.330 mhz usb as the frequency for the Bundy ranch.
The two repeaters in Burns are:
  146.7600-    103.5    Burns, Radar Hill    Harney    KF7HPT    
  147.3000+    162.2    Burns, Sharp's Ridge    Harney    W7JVO    

Cedar

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 11:41:24 PM »
If you watch carefully on the Vice News videos of the Ukrainian conflict, you'll see lots of Baofengs there as well.

It would be rather interesting to listen on a scanner and a couple ham rigs from a distance, perhaps with a fox hunting antenna as well.

It sounds as though the site isn't as thoroughly cut off as I'd have thought, as several members of another militia group joined them recently.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 06:02:56 AM »
regarding the Baos:
sparks31 must be bubbling by now.....

interpretation. sparks31 is a guerilla comms blog and the owner has voiced his strong objection to seeing fellow militia using them.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 07:13:20 AM »
If you watch carefully on the Vice News videos of the Ukrainian conflict, you'll see lots of Baofengs there as well.

They were using Zello as well. I was listening to them there for about 6 months. It is quiet on that station now. When I was watching Kyiv during EuroMaiden so much, I swear I was starting to understand the language. Not now, since I have not listened to it for about a year.

Cedar

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 12:01:34 PM »
regarding the Baos:
sparks31 must be bubbling by now.....

interpretation. sparks31 is a guerilla comms blog and the owner has voiced his strong objection to seeing fellow militia using them.

I can feel for him. I have a couple UV82Ls that I use for comms in the city, where we've got lots of repeaters and never too harsh conditions, but I'd bet that just a sudden heavy rainfall or extreme temperatures might put at least a couple of those radios out of action. I've got a Yaesu HT270D for the real outdoors because it's rated as waterproof, though I wish I'd have gotten the FT-60 that's just rated water resistant instead because we've got more 70cm traffic out here. Those latter two radios would be far more appropriate for the conditions out there.

Are the users of Baofengs in the US authorized to use the GMRS/FRS frequencies at the power ratings those handhelds come with? Given that the FBI must be listening in on everything, it would be awfully funny if the FCC were called in to slam charges on anyone operating off prescribed frequencies or without a license. That said, at least they are so far away from anyone else that they won't be able to interfere with licensed traffic.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
Are the users of Baofengs in the US authorized to use the GMRS/FRS frequencies at the power ratings those handhelds come with?

Nope.

Cedar

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »
Nope.

Cedar

Well then, I hope they use their valid ham call signs, LOL!!!! Otherwise, there might be an overly uptight ham operator in the area who'll listen in and start filing complaints with the FCC... I also wonder what the owner of the nearest repeater would think about these people using it as their means of communicating.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 10:02:40 AM »
...and carbine length gas systems on their AR15s!!!

I'll deduct a point for poor style.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 10:20:37 AM »
Well then, I hope they use their valid ham call signs, LOL!!!! Otherwise, there might be an overly uptight ham operator in the area who'll listen in and start filing complaints with the FCC... I also wonder what the owner of the nearest repeater would think about these people using it as their means of communicating.

Temporarily change the PL tone, or add an output tone of the repeater.  In any case it'd be amusing to monitor the RF traffic from these guys.
I wonder if it's highly tactical like "nest, this is eagle 1.  I have visual on tangos at the perimeter".  Or more likely "Earl, this is Jake.  We're almost out of coffee.  Can you run to Costco?"

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 10:59:45 AM »
Temporarily change the PL tone, or add an output tone of the repeater.  In any case it'd be amusing to monitor the RF traffic from these guys.
I wonder if it's highly tactical like "nest, this is eagle 1.  I have visual on tangos at the perimeter".  Or more likely "Earl, this is Jake.  We're almost out of coffee.  Can you run to Costco?"

The head honcho probably holds the callsign "Vanilla Creamer."  :P

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 12:51:47 PM »
The head honcho probably holds the callsign "Vanilla Creamer."  :P

Good tie in with the derogatory #VanillaISIS slam.

Offline radiomacgyver

• Senior Survivalist
  • Zello handle: radiomacgyver
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 05:06:56 PM »
They are setting themselves up to get RF jammed by the big black truck. They should have put on the wish list digital frequency hopping radios like the TriSquare.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »
They are setting themselves up to get RF jammed by the big black truck. They should have put on the wish list digital frequency hopping radios like the TriSquare.

Would the Motorola DTR (or is that DMR?) handhelds work for something like that. At about $250 each I suppose they're less affordable than Baofengs, and I don't know if the feds can easily jam them if they know that they're being used, but I understand that they utilize the frequency jumping and provide pretty good OPSEC for probably 90+ percent of the time.

I don't want to sound like I'd want to be engaged in one of these protests, but would be interested in figuring out the best ways to avoid the many tactical errors that they're making (the broader PR mistakes are easy enough to figure out).

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 11:33:52 PM »
Are militias -in general- ex mil?
Cos they even failed in Mil-type logistics

BTW I think it would be easy to jam a whole band. No need to find the particular freqs inside the band.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 12:07:05 AM »
Are militias -in general- ex mil?
Cos they even failed in Mil-type logistics

Generally....Militia = Fail

Admirable concept, though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:18:41 AM by FreeLancer »

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
Generally....Militia = Fail

Admirable concept, though.

By and large I'd have to concur.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a good number of trained ex-military types and friends who maintain a high level of marksmanship, field craft and overall tactical proficiency at the individual to squad level but keep a distance from the various little groups lead by self appointed colonels that put up tacky websites. There might even be a few reasonably competent militia groups out there (I can only conjecture from up here in the Great White North) but the left has done such a remarkable marketing job at denigrating the concept that I don't think that too may competent, middle class or professional types would want to risk their reputation by being associated with one. Consequently, despite the admirable concept, they probably overwhelmingly draw disenfranchised people who have little to lose by being associated with such groups. That leads to lots of people with egos and little consensus to create something of long lasting significance, further hampered by a bunch of informants or agents looking to find something to charge them with or ferment distrust amongst the ranks.

Offline radiomacgyver

• Senior Survivalist
  • Zello handle: radiomacgyver
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 04:16:05 PM »
Would the Motorola DTR (or is that DMR?) handhelds work for something like that. At about $250 each I suppose they're less affordable than Baofengs, and I don't know if the feds can easily jam them if they know that they're being used, but I understand that they utilize the frequency jumping and provide pretty good OPSEC for probably 90+ percent of the time.

I would think anything that stays parked on a frequency could get jammed easier. I'm not ruling out a good EMP bomb.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
I will note that there are certain background investigation questions for a variety of positions that actually ask if you are involved with a militia.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »
I would think anything that stays parked on a frequency could get jammed easier. I'm not ruling out a good EMP bomb.
It depends on how they are jamming. Jamming comes in different flavors (for the Spaceballs fans out there).  Are you frequency hopping within the same band?  Most of your trunking radios are still flitting about in a pretty narrow range of frequencies and jammers can easily jam the entire range of frequencies.  Also some jammers put out so many watts and are so broad it will interfere with most everything that receives a signal and some that don't in a localized area.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 05:50:13 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if there were a good number of trained ex-military types and friends who maintain a high level of marksmanship, field craft and overall tactical proficiency at the individual to squad level but keep a distance from the various little groups lead by self appointed colonels that put up tacky websites. There might even be a few reasonably competent militia groups out there (I can only conjecture from up here in the Great White North) but the left has done such a remarkable marketing job at denigrating the concept that I don't think that too may competent, middle class or professional types would want to risk their reputation by being associated with one. Consequently, despite the admirable concept, they probably overwhelmingly draw disenfranchised people who have little to lose by being associated with such groups. That leads to lots of people with egos and little consensus to create something of long lasting significance, further hampered by a bunch of informants or agents looking to find something to charge them with or ferment distrust amongst the ranks.

Exactly.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 08:57:03 PM »
It depends on how they are jamming. Jamming comes in different flavors (for the Spaceballs fans out there). 

Are you saying that someone will give the FCC the raspberry?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 09:27:26 PM »
And just why would you block your primary source of intelligence?
I have , on occasion,been asked to deploy my nearfield radio for Homeland Defence...as it can detect frequencies from just above the audio spectrum to about 10 gigahertz and with a spectrum analyzer ...detect and record any radio used within 2 miles or so...

An EMP BOMB...sure they would deploy what is actually only theoretical to possibly destroy all of the technology within 15 to 100 miles...
Try to keep grounded in realistic possibilities .Our government may be dumb ,but they are not stupid.

Well ,not often stupid anyway.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 09:55:11 PM »
And just why would you block your primary source of intelligence?
I have , on occasion,been asked to deploy my nearfield radio for Homeland Defence...as it can detect frequencies from just above the audio spectrum to about 10 gigahertz and with a spectrum analyzer ...detect and record any radio used within 2 miles or so...

An EMP BOMB...sure they would deploy what is actually only theoretical to possibly destroy all of the technology within 15 to 100 miles...
Try to keep grounded in realistic possibilities .Our government may be dumb ,but they are not stupid.

Well ,not often stupid anyway.

I suppose it would be a pity to shut down the foxhunt that way. Perhaps they'd just do it at the onset of a raid or to mess up some tactical manoeuvre(s) conducted by the protesters.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
I suppose it would be a pity to shut down the foxhunt that way. Perhaps they'd just do it at the onset of a raid or to mess up some tactical manoeuvre(s) conducted by the protesters.

Maybe I read too many espionage novels, but if you think strategically of the "long game" from the FEDs perspective, you'd let these clowns go about their actions, while being heavily observed.  Unless there's an imminent or active threat to life or property, I see no reason the US Gov would cut the pipeline of intel.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 09:39:55 AM »
Maybe I read too many espionage novels, but if you think strategically of the "long game" from the FEDs perspective, you'd let these clowns go about their actions, while being heavily observed.  Unless there's an imminent or active threat to life or property, I see no reason the US Gov would cut the pipeline of intel.

Yes, I would also imagine that they're following the internet traffic on this situation rather closely, even if just collecting tons of metadata and patterns of affiliations with these people. Unlike the 90s, they only need informants to find ways to arrest a few hotheads but can otherwise get the rest of their intel through electronic means.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 11:50:37 AM »
Radios are not much use if you can't get the guys to put them back in the recharger cradles:
The radios were “soup.” Part of the problem, Payne said, was that people were taking them but not recharging them. For now, there wasn’t a functional radio in the tower, which seemed pretty important. Payne said it didn’t really matter. Moroni could just yell—everyone below would hear him.
from http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/01/that-night-i-spent-with-ammon-bundys-armed-militia

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 01:02:35 PM »
Why are you guys assuming that the Bundy group don't have their ham tickets?

Cedar

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »
Radios are not much use if you can't get the guys to put them back in the recharger cradles:from http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/01/that-night-i-spent-with-ammon-bundys-armed-militia

As an effective military machine, these guys are all hat and no cattle.