Author Topic: Even the Oregon Patriots use Baofeng radios  (Read 15711 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Even the Oregon Patriots use Baofeng radios
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 12:05:21 PM »
Smurf Hunter ,sent this to me and others may find interesting:

https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2016/01/19/militia-radio-frequencies/

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »
I logged in just now to post the very same link.

Aren't the frequencies mentioned suggested and not actual?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »
I logged in just now to post the very same link.

Aren't the frequencies mentioned suggested and not actual?

I've heard the AMRRON guys talk about "channel 3" for non-amateur bands.  That means CB channel 3, FRS channel 3, etc. etc.
So at least on the non-ham bands, they seem to be following that pattern.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »
Smurf Hunter ,sent this to me and others may find interesting:

https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2016/01/19/militia-radio-frequencies/
The guy who does that site was here on TSP a couple of years ago.  He had a lot of interesting stuff to say, even though he had a kind of shouty way of saying it and the mods finally had to get on him about excessive cross-posting.  Here's a listing of his posts.

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
  • Newbie TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2016, 10:39:55 AM »
The guy who does that site was here on TSP a couple of years ago.  He had a lot of interesting stuff to say, even though he had a kind of shouty way of saying it and the mods finally had to get on him about excessive cross-posting.  Here's a listing of his posts.

He ruffles some people's feathers by discussing topics like freebanding and not being overly concerned about some FCC regulations like type acceptance/certification, but there's a lot of value in his articles.  Like his byline says his articles are about "Survivalist Communications for the SHTF Prepper", and he fills a niche ignored by a lot of survival forums and blogs that can't or won't allow some discussions due to legalities.  Only problem I have with him is he doesn't post very often.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 03:06:25 PM »
I took a look at the HF frequencies and though it doesn't list times, a few of those regularly carry nets or chat sessions that are politically right of center or talk about survivalism.

I noticed that the listed 3.818, the primary frequency for The American Preparedness Radio Net (TAPRN, Sunday at 89pm EST) The 3.950 Liberty Net (usually on 3.995 on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday nights at 10pm EST) and the 3.960 "Patriot Net" that runs 9pm EST from Monday to Saturday. I haven't heard any nets on the other frequencies yet except for 7.242, which is the summertime frequency for TAPRN) but will try paying more attention. As the article mentions, some are bona fide serious nets or chat groups, while some tend to degrade into bitter rant sessions.
If anything really serious were to happen (a catastrophic disaster or 911 or more serious terrorist attack) I'd be really interested in listening to how these nets respond.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 05:32:15 PM »
I've got to go sort through his frequency listings and make paper copies of whatever seems important.  Will get roundtuit this week.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 01:42:35 PM »
If anything really serious were to happen (a catastrophic disaster or 911 or more serious terrorist attack) I'd be really interested in listening to how these nets respond.

I have a hypothesis.  Some of them will boast how well prepared they are, and not be willing or able to share their resources with anyone listening.

I've met a handful of tactical prepper types - they kind that have a pallet of MREs in the garage or basement.  They occasionally boast about their plan to shoot any neighbors who come around begging for food after SHTF.

I apologize if I derailed the thread - I just don't have high confidence many of these prepper NETs we hear on HF are anywhere near the caliber of people that TSP forum has.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 02:06:33 PM »
Tactical preppers. That's a good descriptive term (or maybe even tacticool) and definitely not us.

Offline radiomaster

• Prepper
  • RadioMaster
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 09:01:17 PM »
Baofengs became the current standard utilized by militia because they:
1 =|= are inexpensive
2 =|= are ubiquitous
3 =|= perform adequately in a field exercise training environment
4 =|= look tacticool
5 =|= are frequency agile and field programmable
6 =|= have wearable and mobile accessories available
7 =|= can be freebanded
8 =|= easily exceed the distance of FRS
9 =|= are compact and lightweight

There are many reasons for survivalists and SHTF preppers not to choose a Baofeng as a primary VHF-UHF HT radio; but it might be good to keep a few Baofengs around as backup and trading items. The Baofeng UV-5R seems like it could be a viable form of SHTF currency after TEOTWAWKI :)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 09:06:41 PM »
Baofengs became the current standard utilized by militia because they:
1 =|= are inexpensive
2 =|= are ubiquitous
3 =|= perform adequately in a field exercise training environment
4 =|= look tacticool
5 =|= are frequency agile and field programmable
6 =|= have wearable and mobile accessories available
7 =|= can be freebanded
8 =|= easily exceed the distance of FRS
9 =|= are compact and lightweight

10 =|= they can take some abuse (not that I would recommend it)

Cedar

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 06:42:17 PM »
I have a hypothesis.  Some of them will boast how well prepared they are, and not be willing or able to share their resources with anyone listening.

I've met a handful of tactical prepper types - they kind that have a pallet of MREs in the garage or basement.  They occasionally boast about their plan to shoot any neighbors who come around begging for food after SHTF.

I apologize if I derailed the thread - I just don't have high confidence many of these prepper NETs we hear on HF are anywhere near the caliber of people that TSP forum has.

With their pallet of MREs they'll be wishing they weren't so pig headed once they're constipated and feel the need to barter for fresh rations and Exlax.

I find it hardly coincidental that the term tactical or "tacticool" has taken on such prominence, as it kind of hints towards the lack of any bigger, operational or strategic outlook on things, that I fear all too many in the preparedness community lack (though not on this forum, thankfully).

On a brighter note, listening in on some the preparedness or survival nets after last week's huge storm in the North East, I heard a fair number of people talking about helping their neighbours and being on the lookout to assist those who are too old or infirm to help themselves. Much of my time on the air seems to implicitly involve figuring out who the people/service oriented hams and groups are versus the pseudo-paranoid ranters and complainers (who probably own the pallet of MREs). The world has always had all types of characters, and it's part of life to figure out how that may impact upon ourselves and our loved ones.