Author Topic: Protection from Noise In a WROL scenario  (Read 6968 times)

Offline jb59

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Protection from Noise In a WROL scenario
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:13:55 AM »
I hope this is in the correct forum.

My wife and I were discussing best methods of ear/hearing protection from that god awful noise that the military and some law enforcement agencies   now use.  It's like a shock and awe type of debilitating noise, but I can't remember the name of it.  Was hoping someone might know what the heck I'm thinking about and be able to give me a name for it, so I can start googling protection for same.

I was in the military nearly 30 years but was never exposed to it in any shape - but I still feel like I should know what the heck  the name of it is.

nkawtg

Re: Protection from Noise In a WROL scenario
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:34:32 AM »
Other than reducing the db's hitting your ear drum, the noise produced by The Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD is probably too loud for conventional ear protection.
There are other non-lethal (or less lethal) devices in their arsenal.
1. The Taser Shotgun.
2. The Personal Halting and Stimulation Response rifle, or PHaSR is a low level laser designed to dazzle and cause disorientation and temporary blindness.
3. The Active Denial System, or ADS is a microwave emitting device designed to heat the skin to 130 degrees.

On the horizon is the Mob Excess Deterrent Using Silent Audio or MEDUSA. Designed to emit microwaves which induce an auditory sensation within the skull, so in this application no hearing protection on the planet would protect you, and Calmative Agents for Riot Control to produce a calming effect on the crowd.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:48:49 AM »
When one is worried about police/military use of noise and microwave machines I believe we have arrived at EROL (excessive rule of law) and not WROL.

The Mr. Miyagi defense comes to mind:  "no be there".

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:01:01 AM »
When one is worried about police/military use of noise and microwave machines I believe we have arrived at EROL (excessive rule of law) and not WROL.

Yep.

nkawtg

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »

Doh!, I completely missed that...

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »

The problem with No Be There,  is someone may have an agenda they don't share with you.  Things have a way of popping up.

Think of it this way: Why do you practice self-defense?  Why do you carry a gun/knife/mace/pointed stick (or the much-feared Bowl Full of Raspberries)?  Because bad things happen to bad people and it pays to have a response ready in case you're caught in a situation that can't otherwise be avoided.

Avoidance is great, when it works.  Have a response when it doesn't.

The Professor

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 03:05:18 PM »
The problem with No Be There,  is someone may have an agenda they don't share with you.  Things have a way of popping up.

Think of it this way: Why do you practice self-defense?  Why do you carry a gun/knife/mace/pointed stick (or the much-feared Bowl Full of Raspberries)?  Because bad things happen to bad people and it pays to have a response ready in case you're caught in a situation that can't otherwise be avoided.

Avoidance is great, when it works.  Have a response when it doesn't.

The Professor
Did you mean bad things happen to good people?   

I guess at this point in my posting history I assumed the "no be there" comment would  not be taken as a suggestion to default to the fetal position if one is, as a good person, facing the full hammer of the State.   However,  for most scenarios I can think of short of a Red Dawn foreign invasion, I think the "no be there" defense is a good strategy.   For those concerned about what could happen in large cities if such conditions that may precipitate sound and microwave weapons being used , get out before it happens..... like now.

Those in Ferguson/St. Louis had weeks and months to be aware what was building.  There was time to get away before everything got way out of hand.  The Rodney King riots had what, about 12 hrs?  Still time to get out of LA central for most of those participating or caught in the riots.  Business owners not withstanding.

Yes, by all means have a response planned to any direct act of uninvited violence upon one's self and family. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 12:22:25 AM »
Other than reducing the db's hitting your ear drum, the noise produced by The Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD is probably too loud for conventional ear protection.

If you want to see what LRAD does, how people reacted and what people did to get away from it, check out YouTubes of Occupy Oakland. Just around Oct. 25, 2011-ish. I was watching it live. There may also be recording of the incidents in LiveStream archives. You will have to do a bit of work to find them, but you will find them.

Cedar

Offline jb59

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:11 PM »

You got that right. I'll fall on my sword for that one. 

Offline jb59

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »
Other than reducing the db's hitting

Thanks nkawtg.  That's it! 

Offline jb59

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone that replied. Cedar - i'll be checking out those videos tonight.  Thanks.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »
Did you mean bad things happen to good people?   

I guess at this point in my posting history I assumed the "no be there" comment would  not be taken as a suggestion to default to the fetal position if one is, as a good person, facing the full hammer of the State.   However,  for most scenarios I can think of short of a Red Dawn foreign invasion, I think the "no be there" defense is a good strategy.   For those concerned about what could happen in large cities if such conditions that may precipitate sound and microwave weapons being used , get out before it happens..... like now.

Those in Ferguson/St. Louis had weeks and months to be aware what was building.  There was time to get away before everything got way out of hand.  The Rodney King riots had what, about 12 hrs?  Still time to get out of LA central for most of those participating or caught in the riots.  Business owners not withstanding.

Yes, by all means have a response planned to any direct act of uninvited violence upon one's self and family. 

Well, the point I was trying to make was more about educating oneself.  Too often, the off-the-cuff answer to questions like this is "Don't be there."

My problem with this is that "it" can happen anywhere at any time.  While I agree that it is wiser to preposition yourself in a location where the potential for such actions is low, not everyone can do this.  Even if one could, I've had discussions with people who say "Go hunker down" indefinitely.  Never take a vacation, never leave your home.  Buy acreage so you don't have to leave your home for any reason (I wish I were joking, but I had this conversation about two weeks ago with someone who apparently believes he will survive a forest fire just by sitting in his Barcolounger in his earthen-bermed home.  I asked him if he expected to be medium-rare or well-done after the baking.).

Many people travel. I will admit that they do it unwisely.  Though  my daughter is graduated and has been in the workforce for 2 years, she and her boyfriend still go to Lake Havasu for Spring Break.  A riot could break out at any moment.   Even my wife and I travel a couple of times a year.  While I do check the newspapers and other sources to see if there are any problems in the area of which I need to be aware, things  happen like the following:

http://nypost.com/2013/12/27/hundreds-of-teens-trash-mall-in-wild-flash-mob/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2013/12/27/teenage-flash-mob-plays-knockout-game-causes-mayhem-at-brooklyn-mall/

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/02/15/massive-mob-causes-mayhem-at-florida-mall-800-to-900-teens-crash-movie-theater-stores-and-begin-looting/

While I don't know the specifics, it's most likely that these incidents occurred at socially-depressed locations.  This next one, however, did not take place in such a location.  It was just off "Frat Row" in Fort Collins, Colorado near Colorado State University.  The intersection in the picture showing the crowd surrounding the vehicle was one my wife and I passed through approximately 20 minutes prior to the photo as we were returning from dinner at a restaurant in Old Town.  We did see a lot of kids walking through the area, but not as many as you see in the pictures there.

Cops did show up, use tear gas, rubber bullets, etc.  If this had happened 20 minutes earlier, my wife and I would have been caught right in the middle of it.

Now, I do realize that most of the devices discussed earlier in the thread are still relegated to the military, with the way things are going in law enforcement, I soon expect to see MRAPs as patrol vehicles and several set up with these "less-lethal" devices for rapid response to anything involving more than two people.

In 20 years, I expect to see ED209's roaming the streets.  Robot Drone Law Enforcement is already being hinted at by moviemakers and I PROMISE you, some politicians got chubs over it:

Even better, we can remove the question of "human judgement" from almost any situation:

The average person can't hide away or move to a Tar Paper Shack in the backwoods.  Flash mobs, riots, stupid things sometimes happen with no advanced warning and Situational Awareness can only go so far.   Police are being trained to respond with MAXIMUM Force.  Crowd mentality obviously subtracts any rational thinking (yes, please. . .throw bottles, bricks and full beer cans at the cops. . .THAT will calm things down.)

Everyone should have a plan and be somewhat aware of the effects of these devices in case one shows up on their doorstep . . . or next trip to the grocery store.

The Professor

Offline jb59

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »
I found this on abovetopsecret.com.  Perhaps there is protection from LRAD.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread829981/pg1

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 02:34:27 AM »
I found this on abovetopsecret.com.  Perhaps there is protection from LRAD.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread829981/pg1

AboveTopSecret is less than reputable.  Many think it is a shill site after it went down for several weeks coinciding with the government server shutdown at the deficit crisis last year (when the National Parks were closed.)

Don't waste your time with foam ear plugs and making mattress shields.

~TG

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 08:28:31 AM »
What prepper would be caught in a location where crowd control was in use?
Most sonic weapons depend as much on physical disruption as audible ...so don't be there.
Shooters protection with ear plugs and over ear muffs will help for some of the noise...
but not if you are in front of the weapon.

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 08:12:06 PM »
One thing to know if you do get caught in an area that is in riot mode and the Police are coming is the police doctrine (if followed) is to funnel people to an area and provide an escape route from them.  They use simple psych to scare whoever they can away (including those who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time) so they have to deal with less before using the big toys.  Look for police marching and yelling instep, dispersal orders via bullhorn, etc.  usually heading away from the cops is the best idea, which is what they want.

Offline jb59

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 07:44:13 AM »
What prepper would be caught in a location where crowd control was in use?
Most sonic weapons depend as much on physical disruption as audible ...so don't be there.
Shooters protection with ear plugs and over ear muffs will help for some of the noise...
but not if you are in front of the weapon.

Unfortunately for me, I live about 3 miles from Fort Indiantown Gap in PA.  I freaking have to put up with the sound of their war games all day long.  Had no idea of FITG before moving up here.  28 years in the AF (17 in a Spec Ops command) - and I had never heard of FITG.  I've been all over the globe and never saw a military base that didn't give a crap about the local populace as much as this damn place.

But I'm sure if and when the time comes...crowd control will be an issue.