Author Topic: Buyer Beware of Harvest Right Freeze Dryer  (Read 13729 times)

Offline MontanaLife

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Buyer Beware of Harvest Right Freeze Dryer
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:56:24 AM »
Buyer Beware of Harvest Right Freeze Dryers

I am regretting that I ever purchased a Harvest Right. Our has not worked properly from about 3 weeks after we bought it. Our experience with customer service has been dreadful and is turning into a nightmare! I don't want to elaborate the whole story here but since June of 2015 we have only been able to complete about 50 batches running the dryer every day.

After months of diagnosing by email and phone and trying new parts, it looks like we bought a lemon. I would be OK with that if the company would replace the freeze dryer. It looked like we had an agreement to get a new one but when the replacement arrived it was a very old, used, dirty unit. I have tried appealing to Harvest Right but they are very difficult to work with and fail to see my point of view.

Here is a simple question that expresses our point of view: If you bought a new car that started having problems a few weeks after you bought it, and for months the manufacturer tried many things to fix it but could not, then they agree to replace the car but send you a model that is a few years older, dirty, with lots of use and miles, would you accept that?

I wish I had something good to say about their customer service but it has been awful. They have tried several times to weasel out of their responsibility. It pains me that I need to warn others about Harvest Right but I now feel it's the right thing for me to do. Buyer Beware.

Larry
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:19:44 AM by MontanaLife »

Offline beachguy005

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Buyer Beware of Harvest Right Freeze Dryer
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:50:42 AM »
I know the feeling. You just have to make a lot of noise.  Years ago I had an issue with a PC company.  The 19" CRT monitor on my new system failed out of the box.  They replaced it with a unit that was 2 years old.  I demanded a new one to which they sent another remanufactured. I demanded a new one which they sent, but that one failed.  Back and forth we went until I got a new one that actually worked.  I ended up with 8 monitors to return plus my original defective.  I kept one for my troubles which they never caught. 
They said that in their terms they could send remanufactured as replacements.  I accused them of intentionally sending a bad unit out as an excuse to ship out, and get rid of, remanufactured product from stock rather than shipping new.  Nice ploy...sell one new but defective over and over....get rid of all older remanufactured as replacements.

Offline MontanaLife

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »
Thanks beachguy. It seems the older I get the less real customer service exists. I should not have to make noise, no one should. When you buy a $3700 machine from Harvest Right that obviously has issues, it should have been taken care of.

It's surprising how many people get defensive when I mention my bad experience with Harvest Right. Almost like a religious idolatry.

I have decided that instead of posting on many blogs that I will post on the website www.harvestrightsucks.com and then let others know of the updates there. I hope to attract others that have had trouble and feel ripped off by Harvest Right and publish their commens there.

Offline anteau

• Prepper
    • Freeze dried Business Startup
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 05:30:56 PM »
A little background, I live with a Vegan and 2 kids with food allergies in my house. The selection of freeze dried foods for these groups in expensive and in many case unavailable. I had thought about starting a small home business using a harvest right freeze dryer to satisfy my needs and maybe others with dietary restriction issues. I see that you think the product is garbage not good. I am guessing that you would say my plan is a very bad idea. Could I get an idea (specifics) as to what does not work?

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:00:09 PM »
A little background, I live with a Vegan and 2 kids with food allergies in my house. The selection of freeze dried foods for these groups in expensive and in many case unavailable. I had thought about starting a small home business using a harvest right freeze dryer to satisfy my needs and maybe others with dietary restriction issues. I see that you think the product is garbage not good. I am guessing that you would say my plan is a very bad idea. Could I get an idea (specifics) as to what does not work?

Not to discount the OP's experience with his freeze dryer, there are a few other threads about freeze dryers in which the purchaser's seemed happy with them.  I'm not sure if all of them were Harvest Right.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=51798.msg599685#msg599685
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=49103.msg628635#msg628635
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=49103.msg628635#msg628635
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=53935.msg632919#msg632919

Offline anteau

• Prepper
    • Freeze dried Business Startup
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 05:30:40 PM »
It was helpful to me Ms. Albatross as I am in the midst of setting up a small business pan so I could use a Harvest right dryer for my own families dietary restrictions and hopefully reach out to a niche market that might have the same needs. I was worried to make a poor purchase on both counts

Offline britexport

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 10:48:14 AM »
I'm hearing Rand Paul advertising the Harvest Right on the local talk radio - would be surprised if he would stand behind it if it was total crap. Thinking ultimately about getting one myself as I agree freeze dried food for sale is a) expensive and b)quality often bad. Not sure why the big companies (food4patriots, mountain house, augason etc) think everyone wants food with a bunch of awful additives in. IF I can prep I want to prep with good quality. (bit off topic I know:)

Offline Fancypet

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 03:55:48 PM »
For anyone that is interested in Harvest Right Freeze Dryer I follow 2 You Tube sites dedicated to prepping food. Please check out :  InFlorida4252. and. BrexarPrepper.  Also on Facebook is Betty's Harvest Right Freeze Dryer group.
I am trying to stock up on food we like that is organic or natural, antibiotic and chemical free. Also I will make my dog and cat food. I have researched for years and have finally taken the plunge. My machine should be here in 2 to 3 weeks. In the Facebook group you can find information on cleaning the oil automatically so you save money. Also on set up extras tried and true for others.
Good luck to all.  ;)

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 11:24:18 AM »
I would just add that the details of this post are the same as one bad review on Amazon, and the company responded there.

The basics are that the buyer modified the unit themselves, and the company still attempted to provide warranty coverage, which they were not obligated to do.

I have no affiliation with the poster, harvest right, or anyone else, but get both sides of the story and do your due diligence. One bad review might not reflect everything.

Offline MontanaLife

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »
Harvest Right Rip Off Update

I am the original poster. Recently the Harvest Right CEO contacted me. The short story is they apologized, acknowledged that they were wrong AND made us an offer to correct the wrong that was far above what we expected. Read the update at www.harvestrightsucks.com.

Larry

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 06:25:49 PM »
The short story is they apologized, acknowledged that they were wrong AND made us an offer to correct the wrong that was far above what we expected.

Larry

Glad to hear that.  I hope all goes well in the future.  If you are on Facebook, I highly recommend joining Betty's Harvest Right Freeze Dryers Group.  Lots of great advice and support there.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 03:29:31 AM »
All I can say is I know 3 people with the Harvest Right freeze dryers and they had had no issues .

Offline happymom4kids

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 01:40:01 AM »
I also had a really frustrating experience with Harvest Right. First they sent a machine that had been clearly damaged in the factory, although they claimed the shipper did it. Yet the cardboard box around the unit was not damaged but the corner of the steel unit was crushed. We sent that back but really wondered. The next unit arrived quickly but never worked. After days of trouble shooting it turned out the unit had been delivered with the whole hose to connect the vacuum pump to the unit. It leaked air and therefore could never build a vacuum. But since the unit is so incredibly noisy (who could possibly keep it in a kitchen, as show in the videos??) that hearing the leaky hose was not possible until by accident while the pump was cooling (which takes 10 hours) we heard it. Technical support sent a new hose - turns out the wrong hose altogether had been sent. But the machine still failed during the next cycle. More days of trouble shooting revealed the thought from customer service that a cable in side the machine had to be replaced. We could not believe it. How can a new machine have parts installed that are just not even the right part? Customer service kept trying to tell us that we have to "cooperate" with them and that they have many happy customers. One agent told us they have 75 happy customers. Another one told us they have 14,000 happy customers. This made us really wonder. Half the time, they forgot or ignored mails and phonecalls. At one point they offer to send a "brand new" machine, which made us really wonder, were the others not brand new? We had paid over $3000 for what we thought meant we would get a new machine. Finally we began to wonder if the machine would ever work, and, if it would ever work, when would it simply stop working again for yet another improperly installed part or problem. How many batches of food were lost, we can't count. After weeks of arguing with customer service they finally agreed on a refund for the machine, but they insisted we pay shipping - for a machine that never worked. That took some more arguing and finally we had to file a complaint at the BBB. Then they took us seriously and gave the refund for full purchase price and the shipping for the never-functioning machine. It was an extremely unpleasant experience.

Offline happymom4kids

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 01:47:07 AM »
Regarding Harvest Right, I was quite disappointed and felt deceived by all the fancy videos and happy bloggers. The videos show the machine working in a kitchen, placed on a kitchen counter. Yet in reality (which only becomes apparent after the machine is purchased), ir requires a dedicated 20amp circuit. Who has one of those in their kitchen. Ours kept knocking out all the other appliances tripping the breaker until we spent money on getting one installed. Then only with the delivery of the machine does it become apparent that the machine is so loud that you can't stand to be in the same room with it while it runs through it's 24 hour cycle. Who out there can simply just not use their kitchen for 24 hours? And the vacuum pump spews hot oil or drips it on the floor. This lovely snippet of info does not appear anywhere in the advertising info. It weighs over a hundred pounds. This means it effectively takes up permanent residence wherever its been placed because no-one can possibly move it alone. It ended up in our garage - but read the instructions and notice the recommended temps for operation. Who has heating and air-conditioning in their garage. Under these conditions, most people would be able to use theirs (given that it ever actually works, ours didn't) for at most half the year. I feel strongly that the advertising and bloggers ought to be much more clear about these realities.

Offline JH678

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 06:34:50 PM »
They should address if there's any complain even they have thousands of happy customers. There is always a bad batch.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »
I wonder what FrugalFannie would say about all this, based on her experience?

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=59067.0

Offline HarvestRightSucks

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 12:24:31 AM »
People really were scammed.  I was scammed by harvest right. 

<snip>

Harvest right is known to do exactly this type of stuff.  Here is a complaint from someone who threatened to go to the better business bureau because of harvest right employee's fraudulent and illegal behavior.  Here is his own statement clearly explaining how Harvest Right sent him broken unit, then to replace the old unit sent him a 2 year old, dirty unit, claiming it was new.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161212234128/http://www.harvestrightsucks.com:80/Harvest_Right_Sucks/Home.html

<snip>

EDITED BY MODERATOR -- SEE BELOW
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:54:24 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 05:56:40 PM »
MODERATOR NOTE:

I just gutted this topic.

Preserved: discussion of Harvest Right products and customer service.

Deleted: discussion of whether certain forum members are trolls, engaging in censorship, etc.