Author Topic: Realy cool canning jar storage  (Read 2646 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Realy cool canning jar storage
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »
I realy like this idea for canning jar storage, and there are holes to put a simple pin in the front so the jars dont slide off in an earthquake.

It might be expensive to store all jars this way -- but, it would be great to have a cabinet set up like this for use for day to day cooking, and then refil from boxes in the garage when your couple rows get used up.

Realy nice to see people come up with an idea and try to start a business too --

http://www.masonjarstorage.com/
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Realy cool canning jar storage
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 08:47:09 PM »
Yea neat but pricey. Maybe just a few for the kitchen cabs.  8)

Hmm, maybe I could make those out of wood.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:07:08 AM »
Here in the North East the humidity is too high to store the jars long term with the metal rings on.  We get rust on the rings and lids in less than a year when you leave the rings on.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:29:34 AM »
Definitely an interesting idea, but I just don't trust pegboard that much. Also, this does seem a bit more complicated than a simple adjustable shelf. What's the benefit, if any?
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:40:45 AM »
Here in the North East the humidity is too high to store the jars long term with the metal rings on.  We get rust on the rings and lids in less than a year when you leave the rings on.

This works with the rings off, it just holds the jars by the glass lip. I store with rings off too so I can tell if a seal breaks

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »
Definitely an interesting idea, but I just don't trust pegboard that much. Also, this does seem a bit more complicated than a simple adjustable shelf. What's the benefit, if any?

mostly it is just a different way to do it, most people screw the brackets into the wall, doesnt need pegboard. You can also screw the brackets thru the top rail, there are holes for this, to mount under a cabinet in the kitchen.

I found it interesting because of earthquakes, and esthetics. There is a pin in front that will keep the jars in place in Earthquakes. Accessability, esthetics are difficult for being Earthquake proof. Mostly I keep the jars in boxes to be safe, but then it is ugly and hard to find. SO, I think boxes in the deep pantry to restock an area set up like this would be cool.

I also like that it is someones idea that they are implementing for a business, I love to see creative ideas brought into fruition.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 11:59:49 AM »
Nice idea,.. but not going to help much in an earthquake.

The jars may not fall,.. but the oscillations will slap the jars together ( I believe) and they will break that way.

If in a earthquake prone area, store by the case, with foam or other separators on a shelf that has a lip.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 12:08:50 PM »
Nice idea,.. but not going to help much in an earthquake.

The jars may not fall,.. but the oscillations will slap the jars together ( I believe) and they will break that way.

If in a earthquake prone area, store by the case, with foam or other separators on a shelf that has a lip.

depends on severity on which type of Earthquake. Our most common ones just shake a bit and would cause a jar to "walk" off a shelf but wouldnt wildly oscillate. Others will give a large Jolt, and some have waves with oscillations, but arent as often at all, at least not here. That is why, in day to day use areas, we do not put foam between our plates or drinking glasses in the cupboard. It IS recommended practice to have the kitchen cabinet doors have a latch, to keep the drinking glasses from "walking" off the shelves in a usual shake. Yes, a BIG ONE will knock the glasses against each other to break them all, but you would be surprised, there isnt much, if any,-- in the common quakes -- drinking glass breakage from knocking together. But, hmm. maybe hanging from the top as opposed to sitting on a shelf might mean the jars wouldnt move together -- my physics brain is getting fuzzy...

I absolutely agree that main storage is in boxes, and as much thought as is practicable on falling.... But, we do put jars out of the boxes in a day to day pantry area to grab easily for cooking, and refill this area from boxes when it gets low
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:18:12 PM by mountainmoma »