Author Topic: The Stupid Things People Do When Their Society Breaks Down  (Read 3377 times)

Offline DWSDVSE

• Survivor
  • V R S N S M V
The Stupid Things People Do When Their Society Breaks Down
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:07:36 AM »
The folks over at Zero Hedge sounds kind of like a certain podcast we all know today....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-03/stupid-things-people-do-when-their-society-breaks-down

A frequent mistake that many people make when considering the concept of social or economic collapse is to imagine how people and groups will behave tomorrow based on how people behave today. It is, though, extremely difficult to predict human behavior in the face of terminal chaos. What we might expect, or what Hollywood fantasy might showcase for entertainment purposes, may not be what actually happens when society breaks down.

It is also important to note that social and economic destabilization is usually a process, not an immediate event. This actually works in the favor of liberty activists and the preparedness minded. As a system moves through the stages of a breakdown, certain signals in the psychology of the population can be observed, and this gives us a warning as to how far down the rabbit hole we have actually gone.

Except in the case of a nuclear or EMP (electromagnetic pulse) event (which unfortunately are concerns because of the powder keg situation in Syria), vigilant liberty proponents could have considerably more time than the average person to preposition themselves safely. That said, there will be a host of expanding problems of a psychological nature we will have to deal with before, during and after the final leg down in the unfolding mess that internationalists often refer to as the “great global reset.”

The following list is based on social behavior patterns commonly seen during systemic crashes through modern history (the past 100 years). These are some of the stupid things people do as they begin to realize, at least subconsciously, that a SHTF scenario is in progress.

They Do Nothing

It’s sad to say, but the majority of people, regardless of the time or place in history, have a bad habit of ignoring the obvious. They may have an unconscious sense that danger is present, but never underestimate the power of men and women to waterboard their own instincts with a big bucket of intellectual idiocy.

It is not uncommon for large populations to sit calmly and idly, sometimes for weeks, in the midst of an economic or infrastructure crisis. Part of this is due to normalcy bias, of course. There is an immediate assumption amongst first world populations that “help is on the way” in the form of government aid. Faith in this aid can be so deluded that it is not until food and water stores are nearly exhausted that they finally begin to panic, or attempt to help themselves....

Good read, Zero Hedge is far, far, faaaar from mainstream and since they are basically your friendly neighborhood permabears, they attract readers likely to be preppers/fellow travelers, but they get read by people outside the normal group that likely reads boards like this.

It’s great to see normalcy bias and considerations that are the main reason I sat up and took listen to Jack when I first started following it.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: The Stupid Things People Do When Their Society Breaks Down
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 07:19:15 AM »

osubuckeye4

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 08:01:31 AM »
Good read, especially if you pair it with the Vox article about Trump's rise to power and the rise of authoritarianism.

Link:  http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/trump-authoritarianism

(I want to give credit to the poster on here that directed me to it, but I'm having trouble locating the thread and am buried up to my eyes in paperwork at the moment... apologies)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »
Good read, especially if you pair it with the Vox article about Trump's rise to power and the rise of authoritarianism.

Link:  http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/trump-authoritarianism

(I want to give credit to the poster on here that directed me to it, but I'm having trouble locating the thread and am buried up to my eyes in paperwork at the moment... apologies)
sure sure. forget all about little old me...

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 09:20:26 AM »
The folks over at Zero Hedge sounds kind of like a certain podcast we all know today....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-03/stupid-things-people-do-when-their-society-breaks-down

I notice the article was submitted by Tyler Durden.  We have a regular poster here by that name....

Offline gopack84

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:33:31 AM »
I notice the article was submitted by Tyler Durden.  We have a regular poster here by that name....

Tyler Durden is a pseudonym from the movie Fight Club  8)

Offline DWSDVSE

• Survivor
  • V R S N S M V
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 09:39:22 AM »
Tyler Durden is the main admin/admins over at Zero Hedge. Kind of like John Galt, there's more than one in the interwebs using that name.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 09:55:32 AM »
sure sure. forget all about little old me...

Well, I made it up for you by giving you your 350th +1

We cool?  ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:49 AM »
Well, I made it up for you by giving you your 350th +1

We cool?  ;D
ha! cool. thanks.